CPL General

"It does not include playoffs but I don't want to give it away because it does take the schedule and make it very different and special. Not something that's completely unique. It's a format that is used in other parts of the world."

I'm very curious about this line in there. I wonder if they're thinking apertura/clausura style thing.

5 minutes ago, grande said:

"It does not include playoffs but I don't want to give it away because it does take the schedule and make it very different and special. Not something that's completely unique. It's a format that is used in other parts of the world."

I'm very curious about this line in there. I wonder if they're thinking apertura/clausura style thing.

God I hope not 

5 minutes ago, grande said:

those usually involve playoffs. even a super cup to declare the true champ is a play-off. i bet that's the plan still.

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I dont think they need a playoff but a showcase game would be great to draw in media and casual fans

i don't get how to have extra games for local rivals with 7 teams. also don't like forcing a rivalry and would prefer natural ones to blossom

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Ansem said:

cal said 20 to 23. get your story straight cpl lol like i know this is minor but after all the seeming disorganization i just want everyone at hq and the teams to be on the same page 

Edited by matty

Having gone through A/C with the Fury back in the NASL, I would ask please God no.

The point of a lengthy season is that, even if you through a difficult stretch, you can catch up. With A/C, since it's basically two "mini seasons", you already know after only a few games if your team is out of the competition. Sure, you get another opportunity later, but it increases the amount of "meaningless" games instead of increasing them, I found.

1 hour ago, matty said:

why? would be okay if they had a break for the gold cup

Until we realize the break is for the entire Gold Cup and Canada gets knocked out in the group stage and we have to sit around pretending to care who wins between USA and Mexico.

Or

Until we realize the break is only for the group stage and Canada makes it to the final.

Honestly, in the early years at least, I'm fine with them playing games through the Gold Cup. We don't have a ton of time to get our CPL games done in playable weather. But the break in between is only a bit about it. Probably it's a lack of familiarity but I've just never really liked the idea of a 2 season... season.

So, we're seeing regular signings. Every team has multiple players at this point. 

What are you guys thinking of the strategies we are emerging from the various coaches for roster building? Hart pulling in a spine he has experience with (and who have some experience with each other) is interesting. Obviously Smyrniotis is drawing very heavily from Sigma. And at Pacific, we are seeing a very homegrown-focused roster. 

Any early thoughts on "strongest" club? Any teams not looking competitive? We're just shooting the shit here but I've been so focused on my own club I haven't really been deeply assessing the strategies of others.

CPL just announced an app called Centre Circle.

Today, we are excited to share the launch of the CENTRE CIRCLE app with you, our Club's supporters. The app will be your go-to tool to stay connected to our club. It’s a focal point before every match and an entry point into an experience that stretches far beyond 90 minutes.

448335b1-e148-478d-8121-8ab86935abbf.png

Joining the CENTRE CIRCLE community will give you access to some great features including exclusive content, earning points for participating in app activity, contests, prizing and more! And, that's just the beginning of what's to come!

By April 2019, the app will service all of your core supporter needs including access to ticketing, stadium services and experiences, a full match centre, stats, game highlights, fantasy gaming and plenty more!

app seems to just be the old app but nice to see them push it finally

Edited by matty

5 minutes ago, matty said:

CPL just announced an app called Centre Circle.

Today, we are excited to share the launch of the CENTRE CIRCLE app with you, our Club's supporters. The app will be your go-to tool to stay connected to our club. It’s a focal point before every match and an entry point into an experience that stretches far beyond 90 minutes.

448335b1-e148-478d-8121-8ab86935abbf.png

Joining the CENTRE CIRCLE community will give you access to some great features including exclusive content, earning points for participating in app activity, contests, prizing and more! And, that's just the beginning of what's to come!

By April 2019, the app will service all of your core supporter needs including access to ticketing, stadium services and experiences, a full match centre, stats, game highlights, fantasy gaming and plenty more!

We were talking about it in another thread, haha. It's actually been out for a month or two now, but it seems they are only just announcing it. 

It's cool. It's essentially just pulling articles from their website and posting them on the app, but it does have some exclusive articles and videos. Beyond that though, you get "points" for reading the content on the app. Points can be traded in for prizes. I just used about half of my points to try to win a HFX hat as well as a lunch with Stephen Hart. 

It hasn't been downloaded much so maybe it's in Beta. With all you guys potentially coming on though, perhaps I should be spending my early-bird points quicker to get more entries for these draws!

12 minutes ago, Copes said:

We were talking about it in another thread, haha. It's actually been out for a month or two now, but it seems they are only just announcing it. 

It's cool. It's essentially just pulling articles from their website and posting them on the app, but it does have some exclusive articles and videos. Beyond that though, you get "points" for reading the content on the app. Points can be traded in for prizes. I just used about half of my points to try to win a HFX hat as well as a lunch with Stephen Hart. 

It hasn't been downloaded much so maybe it's in Beta. With all you guys potentially coming on though, perhaps I should be spending my early-bird points quicker to get more entries for these draws!

Downloaded, entered my info, it said it would send a code and did but the page never updated for me to enter it and now I can't get in....*curses the CPL gods*

1 hour ago, matty said:

Downloaded, entered my info, it said it would send a code and did but the page never updated for me to enter it and now I can't get in....*curses the CPL gods*

I got the same thing but also got no email. That said, when you click on your points you can redeem them for entry to draws. Hart lunch is there for 250 points I just saw. I didn't know those options were there until just recently so maybe that's the only way to really enter?

6 hours ago, matty said:

Had a similar issue on my Samsung. It sent me a text with the 4 digit code but then wouldn't let me enter it. I exited and re-entered and then it worked. Like it so far, collecting points is pretty cool.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:20 PM, Sébastien said:

Having gone through A/C with the Fury back in the NASL, I would ask please God no.

The point of a lengthy season is that, even if you through a difficult stretch, you can catch up. With A/C, since it's basically two "mini seasons", you already know after only a few games if your team is out of the competition. Sure, you get another opportunity later, but it increases the amount of "meaningless" games instead of increasing them, I found.

Actually it was the opposite, most clubs were in the race deep into each season and even many of those who weren't fans of the split season admitted it raised the competition level.

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Had a similar issue on my Samsung. It sent me a text with the 4 digit code but then wouldn't let me enter it. I exited and re-entered and then it worked. Like it so far, collecting points is pretty cool.

i have a samsung too. still not working for me

Quoted from 98,5 in Montreal

« Chaque équipe aura un budget d’exploitation oscillant entre 1,1 M$ et 1,5 M$ CAN pour 20 joueurs. C’est donc dire qu’ils toucheront entre 56 000$ et 75 000$ chacun, en moyenne. C’est environ le montant ce qu’empoche une recrue dans la MLS. » 

The number of players quoted seems slightly off from the 20-23 we've been hearing recently, and I'm curious as to where they're getting the financial figures. If it all checks out though, this sounds pretty encouraging. 

Edited by m-g-williams

12 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Quoted from 98,5 in Montreal

« Chaque équipe aura un budget d’exploitation oscillant entre 1,1 M$ et 1,5 M$ CAN pour 20 joueurs. C’est donc dire qu’ils toucheront entre 56 000$ et 75 000$ chacun, en moyenne. C’est environ le montant ce qu’empoche une recrue dans la MLS. » 

The number of players quoted seems slightly off from the 20-23 we've been hearing recently, and I'm curious as to where they're getting the financial figures. If it all checks out though, this sounds pretty encouraging. 

For the many of us that have no clue what that says here's the English translation :

"Each team will have an operating budget of between $ 1.1 million and $ 1.5 million
CDN for 20 players. This means that they will earn between $ 56,000 and $ 75,000
each, on average. That's about the amount that a recruit sneaks into MLS."
Edited by CDNFootballer