Jacob Shaffelburg

Big_M

7 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Looking forward to seeing the full game highlights. Unfortunately I missed the first half.  I caught a few minutes in the 2nd half and the commentators were raving about him, saying that he we was terrorizing Layun down the left.

If only he didn't play the same position as Davies, Buchanon, Hoillet, Millar and Corbeanu...

You are correct, that's a murderous row of talent ahead of him.  Nashville's style of play is a perfect fit for him, which is very different from the national team.  I hope that he gets picked up by a championship team.

9 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Different positions, yes, but Shaffelburg ought to be in Austria right now. After all, Brym is there for some reason. Why not Shaffelburg?

I agree with you, but at the same time (as he won’t be making the final WC squad)  it’s probably best he keeps to his new routine in Nashville and continues to gain momentum and make an impression.  

18 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I agree with you, but at the same time (as he won’t be making the final WC squad)  it’s probably best he keeps to his new routine in Nashville and continues to gain momentum and make an impression.  

I agree with this.   I am pretty much always a country over club guy, but in this case it seems like he is better off staying with the team, continuing to earn the respect of his coaches, and getting ready for a strong playoff run.   

37 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

With rumours of a MLS based camp we should be able to give him a look anyhow. Hoping that camp comes with a friendly (though we’ve had the worst luck in the history of football with friendlies over the past 3 years with a total of 6 friendlies canceled and 0 friendlies played). 

Just now, costarg said:

Just another example of why i'm disappointed when TFC hoards and signs more younglings.  Gotta let them go until TFC proves they can properly gauge and develop talent.  

Well, it’s clear there is a problem at TFC. When a player on your bench can move to Nashville and be their second best attacker after an MVP candidate while you sit in the basement there are issues.

The most obvious issue is Michael Bradley IMO. He eats up way too many minutes for a player his age in this league. Successful teams don’t start 35 year old midfielders for all 34 matches in this league and it’s a wonder this continues to go on. The guy has been subbed out a total of 4 times since he reached the age of 30. That’s insane.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Just another example of why i'm disappointed when TFC hoards and signs more younglings.  Gotta let them go until TFC proves they can properly gauge and develop talent.  

Also debunks the 'players will play if they are good enough' fallacy from the clubs staunchest defenders.

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well, it’s clear there is a problem at TFC. When a player on your bench can move to Nashville and be their second best attacker after an MVP candidate while you sit in the basement there are issues.

The most obvious issue is Michael Bradley IMO. He eats up way too many minutes for a player his age in this league. Successful teams don’t start 35 year old midfielders for all 34 matches in this league and it’s a wonder this continues to go on. The guy has been subbed out a total of 4 times since he reached the age of 30. That’s insane.

Well we saw Jozy's comments from a recent article in the Athletic where he ripped the club for the way it treats youngsters. 

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Let them go where?  Were they turning down better offers to sign with TFC?

34 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

With his quality at the moment, “he’s only on the team because he’s the coach’s son.”

(quoting every parent in youth sports)

1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

With his quality at the moment, “he’s only on the team because he’s the coach’s son.”

Well with his dad as coach there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. I really like both Bradley’s and I think they can be a part of a successful TFC team but they need to be realistic. Bradley does have the odd good game so it makes you wonder how effective he might be if they started him a fraction of the games. TFC had a seemingly perfect replacement, or player to share time with in the interim, in Priso. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well with his dad as coach there doesn’t seem to be an end in sight. I really like both Bradley’s and I think they can be a part of a successful TFC team but they need to be realistic. Bradley does have the odd good game so it makes you wonder how effective he might be if they started him a fraction of the games. TFC had a seemingly perfect replacement, or player to share time with in the interim, in Priso. 

I was joking, but I do think he should be in a backup role now.

14 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I almost wish it were true but I saw the Orlando game recently and 35 year old Bradley was responsible for most of TFC’s offence. Wasn’t much else happening but for his passing that led to both Toronto goals. 

2 hours ago, ECW said:

I almost wish it were true but I saw the Orlando game recently and 35 year old Bradley was responsible for most of TFC’s offence. Wasn’t much else happening but for his passing that led to both Toronto goals. 

I've not seen a lot, but Bradley has gone this year from being the obvious problem at the start to much less of the reason for poor results as the season has progressed.

True, it may be he still conditions too much in the defensive middle, and the world of soccer should move beyond him. He's obviously overpaid terribly and that conditions the team as well. Maybe the Italian talent helps to cover some of his defects and exploits better some virtues. 

The real question is how you take TFC in pre-season next year and convincingly turn it into a top 3-4 team in the East.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The real question is how you take TFC in pre-season next year and convincingly turn it into a top 3-4 team in the East.

Bring in a keeper and/or a CB who can boss the back end.  They are dying for leadership there.  

Obviously, much easier said than done.

16 hours ago, ECW said:

OK so he had a good game?  That justifies playing every minute of every game in a season?  Come on man.

Bradley was instrumental in TFC becoming a championship team. But his overwhelming presence stunted the growth of Fraser and our other young Canadian mids.  His insistence on playing 90 minutes every game has hamstrung TFC now.
Bradley ripping on Fraser was 1 of the things that Jozy was referring to with his latest comments.  I am not saying Fraser would have been an MLS XI all star, but he was never given a chance and TFC and Canada suffered for it and Liam is languishing in Div 2...   Bradley needs to play the last 20-25 minutes in a game when we are protecting a lead or move to CB and try to help fill a massive hole in the squad.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:35 PM, costarg said:

OK so he had a good game?  That justifies playing every minute of every game in a season?  Come on man.

He’s had many good games. I don’t think he should be playing every minute of every game and with no one on the bench to take his place but that’s another point. 

• 2 weeks later...