David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

• 3 months later...

Wow shocked face! Maybe a June recall - might be a stretch but he's jogging above.
He must've of did that horse placenta treatment that speeds up recovery....remember that lol

Edited by Shway

I’m happy for him.  He has always shown up for Canada even to barely see the field or not even at all.  If he’s included in the squad for Qatar then I suspect he might consider retiring for Canada afterwards.  If there’s a couple spots available for Qatar and there’s  a few players deserving to go, I would think Wotherspoon might get the nod over a young player like Kone or Fraser who’s got lots of years left for Canada.

FYI - I’m not saying I don’t want the best 23 or 26 there at Qatar.  It has to be deserved.

I get your point, but I think we need to put the best 23-26 out there, the ones that give us the best chance of scoring, and winning some games.  Why go through all this struggle (4years worth) and then act as if this is a reward for past service...this is still part of the journey, part of acheiving the goal, we cant take a victory lap and call guys that maybe deserve it if they arent the ones that are going to help us NOW, on the day the game is played eh??  There is going to be hard choices and somebody is getting left out that deserves to be there.  But if taking Kone or Wotherpsoon and sitting Piette or Fraser etc (just an example) then I hope Herdman has the stones to do it.  

unforgiven-600x272.jpg

Again, I agree 100% on players being called for merit and based on current form come World Cup time.  I am not advocating for it, although I do personally hope Wotherspoon is included.  I was simply stating what I could see happening if a player like Wotherspoon regains his form pre-injury.

I will note that:

1) Herdman has shown that he will call players out of form or sometimes even undeserving.  Players are being called every camp because they have been around the program with him from the start.

2) Whether we are bringing 23 or 26, there will likely be 5 to 8 players minimum who do not see action in Qatar unless Herdman plans to give every player some playing time (some coaches have done this in the past).  So, I get that we need to bring the best that can contribute, reality is that there will likely be players that do not contribute at all.  For example, 5 of the 25 players called in for these final three matches did not see a minute of playing time.  In what we all basically know was an already qualified Canada team before even playing a game.

3) The premise above was solely based if players like Wotherspoon, Kone & Fraser were all playing at similar standards.  If Kone, goes on to tear the MLS up this season, then he 100% should be there above other midfielders.

Edited by Corazon

On 4/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, YorkRegionFan said:

Does David Wotherspoon play all over the midfield or is he strictly an offensive midfielder?  I am puzzling over who would be the best cover for Eustachio/Hutchinson/Kaye/Osario.

Piette??  You can move guys around and fit Sammy into DM.  Herdamn likes Fraser as well.  I thought wotherspoon was more of a wide player although he doesnt have the speed for that, and I wouldnt put him ahead of any of those guys you mentioned as far as offensive skills either.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Good news for Bair as well. Unfortunately for Chapman I believe Dundee went down though.

I think Bair may be on the outs at St. Johnstone.  Didn't get much of a sniff and the team had some serious issues putting the ball in the net this season and still didn't get much of a chance.  Haven't heard of him having any injuries either.

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I think Bair may be on the outs at St. Johnstone.  Didn't get much of a sniff and the team had some serious issues putting the ball in the net this season and still didn't get much of a chance.  Haven't heard of him having any injuries either.

For sure. And it was interesting Chapman never got much of a run either. He made just two apperances.

I know both players are fringe camp poutine types, at best, so my expectations of them aren't super high. However, I am a little surprised both have struggled this much. Joining mid season is difficult, but it could moreso speak to the quality of the SPL being higher than we give it credit for.

For a comparison, Chris Mueller is one to consider. For the USMNT he's basically what Bair and Chapman are to us. He too joined the SPL in the winter (Hibs) and appears to have struggled as well, playing just 11 games and scoring 0 goals (he's a wide forward). Now he's back in MLS (permanently) with Chicago fire and has already scored 1 goal in 4 games. He had 21 in 122 previously for Orlando City. 

The Scottish game is not for the faint of heart.  It can be “agricultural” and requires a certain mentality of running a lot (sometimes for unclear reasons) to make the fans appreciate you.  There are a fair many players from this side of the pond or even from the continent that can’t cope with it.  

That’s doesn’t make Bair, Chapman or Mueller bad talents, it just means they aren’t set up for the Scottish game.  Look at Liam Millar…he did okay at Kilmarnock, but it was more to make him play against hardened men and he got to learn from that experience.  

Wwhile it's tempting for me to chalk up the struggles of Chapman or Bair to a lack of physicality (neither is known to use it to their advantage), Wotherspoon demonstrates time and again you can get by, if not excel, by using your brain and not your brawns.

And of course Spoony has over a decade of experience in the division, so there's that. 

20 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Since he was competent at the top of Norway 2nd tier, and could surely be more adapted to Norway even in a modest club in top flight, that may be a better option for him. Still a solid level. If you don't get minutes you are not going to perform, that is for sure.