David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

• 2 months later...

David Wotherspoon may make a return to the St. Johnstone squad tomorrow.

The coach and medical staff will make the call on that today (it's a borderline call).

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2707482/st-johnstone-shaun-rooney-comeback-st-mirren/

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/perthshire-advertiser/20211105/282260963690823

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 11:38 AM, jordan said:

Scotland League Cup

Wotherspoon has the start against Celtic

Some news about the injury here:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2754339/st-johnstone-david-wotherspoon-anthony-ralston-celtic-callum-booth/

He was able to walk off the pitch.

His coach says he's "not great"...

https://www-tmp.thenational.scot/sport/19731273.callum-davidson-proud-st-johnstone-players-go-fighting-defence-league-cup/

...which is a very British way of saying that it's rather serious.

9 hours ago, prairiecanuck said:

Yesterday.  Knee injury.  4 to 6 weeks.  Hope it's 4, but injury timelines can sometimes be longer too.  Need to get him back and playing in late December or early January.

@prairiecanuck , where did you get the 4 to 6 weeks recovery timeline?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Assuming he recovers from injury in time, it would be nice to see Spoony at Camp Poutine.

The Scottish League is on break from Sunday, January 2nd to the start of the late January FIFA international window.

Spoony would need to skip the Scottish FA Cup match against either Scottish League 2 side ( 4th tier ) Kelty Hearts ( the mini-Jambos? @JamboAl ) or Scottish League 1 side ( 3rd tier ) Montrose if he wanted to play against Guatemala.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Assuming he recovers from injury in time, it would be nice to see Spoony at Camp Poutine.

The Scottish League is on break from Sunday, January 2nd to the start of the late January FIFA international window.

Spoony would need to skip the Scottish FA Cup match against either Scottish League 2 side ( 4th tier ) Kelty Hearts ( the mini-Jambos? @JamboAl ) or Scottish League 1 side ( 3rd tier ) Montrose if he wanted to play against Guatemala.

Kelty Hearts was named after the original and famous (in Scotland anyways) Heart of Midlothian FC.  They are a very good team so not an easy draw for St. Johnstone.  Suspect if fit, he will not be released for Camp Poutine.

19 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Looks like he may not be ready

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What kind of player is Harry Paton.. box to box workorse??  Would he be a like for like sort of replacement for a Wotherspoon??  

Check out the highlights from the Galindo article on the CMNT thread.  Admittedly it's just highlights, but he looks like an offensive version of Eustaquio - in other words, he looks great.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like he may not be ready

From the club website:

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/article/david-wotherspoon-injury-update

Also reported in a BBC article here:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59483245.amp

Essentially the timeline for recovery is so long that no estimate has been given.

This could be a "Ricardo Ferreira"-like knee injury. :( 😫

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

From the club website:

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/article/david-wotherspoon-injury-update

Also reported in a BBC article here:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59483245.amp

Essentially the timeline for recovery is so long that no estimate has been given.

This could be a "Ricardo Ferreira"-like knee injury. :( 😫

I guess its an ACL injury and he’s out for a year or so. If that’s the case, very unlikely he would be in Qatar with us.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I guess its an ACL injury and he’s out for a year or so. If that’s the case, very unlikely he would be in Qatar with us.

If that’s the case I feel gutted for him. This is a guy who showed up to every single camp he was called to and never complained even if he didn’t get on the field. Came in and did a job and if someone deserved to go to Qatar (if we do go), it’s Spooney.

3 hours ago, frattinator said:

If that’s the case I feel gutted for him. This is a guy who showed up to every single camp he was called to and never complained even if he didn’t get on the field. Came in and did a job and if someone deserved to go to Qatar (if we do go), it’s Spooney.

Absolutely.  What an amazing opportunity for a guy from Perthshire to be in a World Cup and playing with (and against) talent he would not be able to do playing for St Johnstone.  He’s just so workman like and his role with Canada is very different from his club side, where he is the creative spark in midfield.  Have had the opportunity to have a drink with him in Orlando after the Nations League game; very soft spoken and a really nice guy.  Hope he makes it back to make another appearance for Canada.

It’s probably my fault (well, definitely my fault) but he is the player I know the absolute least about.  I wouldn’t have included him in any line up or squad that I would have out together during the last couple of years.  Not saying he doesn’t deserve to be there, but I have an absolute blind spot when it comes to him.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

The news we were mostly expecting. Tough luck for him and his World Cup aspirations

Gutted for him.

However, I don't think this spells the end of Spoony-CanMNT with regard to our respective World Cup aspirations.

We've preached John Herdman choosing guys based on form (ex: Millar, Pasher, etc...), but we've also seen him choose guys in both the 26-man and starting XI based on seniority/familiarity/integration with the squad. Herdman is also known to favour guys he is fond of, and given his continuous callings into the fold as of late, Spoony seems to be on Herdmans 'good list'.

With a timeline of 8-months, that puts him at about mid-August for a return, which is just in time for the beginning of next season. With the WC in late November, that gives him 3 months to find his form, as well as get reintegrated with the team in various pre-tournament friendlies. 

Realistically speaking, that may be a stretch. You must also consider that you never know who will be coming down the pipe any moment, (Arfield, Jebbo, Mitrovic, Flores but probably not lol) and who could fill that off-the-bench attacking midfield/winger role quite nicely by Qatar. Herdman is going to put the best TEAM forward no matter what, so even if Spoony isn't the best in-form player then, given his experience, will he be able to help put forth the best TEAM in 2022?

It will be a testament to Herdman's liking of Wotherspoon whether or not we see him in a Rouges shirt again in the not so distant future, but you never know. Possibly a Cava-esque set-up where he is kept around more for what he adds off the pitch than on, but with a torn ACL, he probably won't be doing all that travel in WCQ to promote moral support. 

Anyways, enough said. Wish him the best and a healthy recovery, and hopefully some quality time with family. 

(sidenote: the door for Arfield's return has never been more open)