David Wotherspoon

IceCreamMan

7 hours ago, jordan said:

Dominic Yankov is on the Bulgarian u19 bench as we speak

The problem is that there is very little activity with our youth teams; few camps/games/tournaments and when they do play in Concacaf they have  not progressed to the WC.This may be the reason why Ayo Akinola  decided to play for the US youth teams ....more development, game action and youth WC appearances . It may also be the reason why TFC encouraged him, as has been mentioned previously by some posters, to do so as it would enhance his development . Having said all that, I think there is  a good chance  he turns out for us eventually. So if JH has made youth development one of his key pillars then this should all change :)

29 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The problem is that there is very little activity with our youth teams; few camps/games/tournaments and when they do play in Concacaf they have  not progressed to the WC.This may be the reason why Ayo Akinola  decided to play for the US youth teams ....more development, game action and youth WC appearances . It may also be the reason why TFC encouraged him, as has been mentioned previously by some posters, to do so as it would enhance his development . Having said all that, I think there is  a good chance  he turns out for us eventually. So if JH has made youth development one of his key pillars then this should all change :)

Several years ago, Canada greatly inscreased the number of camps and friendlies our youth teams have. The thought was experience = a leg up in Concacaf qualifying.

It turns out that all of those increased camps haven't helped us qualify for any youth world cups.

I don't care how many times we go to Central America for friendlies, it hasn't made our youth teams any more successful in qualifying.

One of the core principles going forward post Herdmans appointment was vertical alignment throughout the different level of programs.

More matches for the younger groups makes sense. The league of Nations will definitely help the senior program but we are probably close to saturation point for getting players away from club's bar a couple more friendlies.

Bit of a silly suggestion but I wonder if there is any mileage/point in having a strictly European based players get together followed by a north American one in short proximity once a year. Just getting more players involved and exposed to what Herdman wants and for him to have a closer look might be helpful but likely too costly. We are approaching having two squads worth of possible call ups judging by the amount or names left off or people disappointment not to see in this camp.

The youth could certainly have more games and get togethers and would be less bound to club's letting them go. Guess that also depends on the amount of money the CSA a) have and are B) willing to spend to get everyone together. The U23s should play a huge part over the next few year's too.

It's a waiting game to see what comes with Herdmans vision. 

25 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Several years ago, Canada greatly inscreased the number of camps and friendlies our youth teams have. The thought was experience = a leg up in Concacaf qualifying.

It turns out that all of those increased camps haven't helped us qualify for any youth world cups.

I don't care how many times we go to Central America for friendlies, it hasn't made our youth teams any more successful in qualifying.

Guess you have to know what the reasoning and goald for each camp was. Whether there was a clear vision set out or purpose in each meet and if tangible goals were expected that could be built on each time. 

9 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

To be successful in qualifying we a) need to select the best youth players for each tournament and B) ensure that we have competent coaches with tactical awareness...same approach as the senior team. This was not the case for the recent Concacaf U17 (mostly a TFC III squad with Stalteri as coach) and U20 under Gale. Not saying  the CSA did not try to get the best players but they were not there as per many posters have pointed out. I recall that at the previous Concacaf U20 tournament when we had a stacked team with Larin /Hamilton /Froese/Adekugbe etc. Gale rotated his squad instead of going with his best 11 and we did not progress. I think Gale is great with the players but he has been out coached and has been tactically naive in comparison to  other Concacaf coaches. It may be a lack of resources but we need more action and quality. Both Stephen Eustaquio  and Yankov are participating in Euro youth tournaments. The US had several extended camps this year. We have been fairly inactive since the U17 tournament.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Unless guys like Wotherspoon and Cordova are miles better than real homegrown players,  meaning Canadian players who played  most of their youth soccer growing up in Canada , I’m not that concerned with players who are only eligible to play for Canada because they have a grandfather or a father or mother who was born or has Canadian citizenship, but never grew up in Canada playing youth soccer in Canada. Players like Wotherspoon or Cordova who were not developed in Canada and never even lived in Canada . Unless your really good I would rather see a real homegrown Canadian take the spot over guys like Cordova or Wotherspoon just my opinion.

I’ll tell yah we need a good ol Ontario boy in the teams who’s not afraid to be tough I’ll tell ya. These euro players have no idea what its like i’ll tell ya to play in -20 degree weather in Thunder Bay. Players nowadays have no idea I’ll tell yah what it’s like, Carl valentine I’ll tell yah was a good ol Canadian boy who was proud to wear the maple leaf unlike these South American loony’s.

15 hours ago, JamboAl said:

It’s a shame that our depth is such that he can’t be in our squad regularly.  I think he’s a workmanlike player who we would have gratefully welcomed 10 years ago.  Maybe he still has a role in the team going forward.

Absolutely. 25 years ago he'd have been a huge catch for us. 10 years ago, a solid Bircham-like addition.

Shows how much the player pool has grown, eh? 

15 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Absolutely. 25 years ago he'd have been a huge catch for us. 10 years ago, a solid Bircham-like addition.

Shows how much the player pool has grown, eh? 

Yup...Born in an earlier generation, this  guy would be rubbing shoulders with Hastings and Xausa and Fenwick. For a while there, it  felt like a third of every Canadian squad was somehow connected to the Scottish League.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought he might get a look during the Cuba games in September but he's got a knee ligament injury.

He will be out for 4 to 6 weeks. Won't get an international call until October if he is in form:

http://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/st-johnstone-lose-david-wotherspoon-16634042

I want him to get called for a home game because, as far as I know, he hasn't been to Canada yet!  ;)

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 10:05 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I want him to get called for a home game because, as far as I know, he hasn't been to Canada yet!  ;)

He was finally back on the bench for the match against Kilmarnock but did not see any playing time.

Really surprised he got the call as he has not played since mid-July.

Happy he gets to come to Canada!