Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

They could try, but I don't see a basis on which a League One side would buy him. Similar MLS-prospects have signed in D4 Germany (Froese) or D4 France (Gagnon-Lapare). 

Well he was on the books of a team that just promoted straight into the EPL. That experience separates him from Froese and Gagnon-Lapare.

Now's the time to challenge Jordan Harvey for the starting LB spot. He's available as soon as the English league is finished. His heart doesn't appear in it, unfortunately. Poor return for the 'caps if he's just biding his time to move on a free or near-free like Zanatta and Froese.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:52 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

Now's the time to challenge Jordan Harvey for the starting LB spot. He's available as soon as the English league is finished. His heart doesn't appear in it, unfortunately. Poor return for the 'caps if he's just biding his time to move on a free or near-free like Zanatta and Froese.

I understood that he is battling recurring knee problems. Not a "heart" issue.

3 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I understood that he is battling recurring knee problems. Not a "heart" issue.

He meant that Adekugbe's desire and determination is not for Vancouver.  He'd rather be elsewhere than the Caps.  I'd rather he trial all over England and get playing time.  Chances of him making an MLS career get dimmer each year.

Don't think Vancouver needs or wants another LB outside of Harvey, de Jong, Levis and the usl players. If his contract ends at the end of 2017 they will probably agree to part ways earlier or just wait until it ends. 

8 hours ago, toontownman said:

Bloody typical Levis actually gets back to fitness and Adekugbe is back. Neither will displace Harvey or DeJong tbf although I would like to see both given the chance. 

Adekugbe needs to be given a chance, and then he needs to take it with a super performance. He does that, and he surely is the left back in Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

16 hours ago, One American said:

As far as a professional career, he'll probably find something. As far as national team, I suspect that boat is at least hoisting the sail. 

He's had a chronic injury problem that was apparently finally diagnosed this year. I think it's way too soon to predict Sam's career path until it's clear that he can stay consistently healthy. 

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Looks like Adekugbe could be going on loan to Sweden. Club linked is IFK Goteburg in the Allsvenskan.

Goteburg are currently 11th in the 16 teams league. The league may lack in quality compared to MLS or the Championship, but at least he'll be consistently in the first team, which is what he needs at this point. Also, what the Allsvenskan lacks in quality it makes up for in exposure. A good few seasons could land him back in the Championship or the Evedivise.

He's also going to be teammates with MLS legend Mix Diskerud!

Edited by harrycoyster

8 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

What's with guys like Froese and Adekugbe preferring their prospects with euro teams than the whitecaps? That has to be a concerning trend for the club

Adekugbe has always made it clear to the club that he wants to play in the Premier League, and views playing in Europe as vital to accomplishing that.

Froese basically asked to be moved if the club didn't see him as a starter this season. I heard that they offered him a contract clause that prevented him from being sent to VWC2 this season, but he still wanted to move.

22 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

What's with guys like Froese and Adekugbe preferring their prospects with euro teams than the whitecaps? That has to be a concerning trend for the club

They're too good for the second team and the first team is too hard to crack. There is a HUGE gap between the two. Having a prospect come through USL then expect him to get any significant minutes in MLS is pretty rare (Davies). For me the solution is to improve the second team play so it's closer to 1st team quality, not throwing prospects underserved 1st team minutes. In the mean time while the USL is stinking it up in terms of quality, the next best options for the club and player is to get them in a competitive system where they can push for legitimate starting time.

30 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Zanatta and Carducci as well. When these players need MLS minutes to further develop (or USL in Carducci's case), but don't get them, they have to try their luck elsewhere. 

Edited by shermanator

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Zanatta and Carducci as well. When you need to get minutes to develop, but don't get minutes, have to try your luck elsewhere. 

The Zanatta situation was a bit different, but yeah they all moved for playing time. I don't think you can really blame the club for this. Froese, Adekugbe and Carducci are all good players and I wish them the best, but the Caps can't go around promising minutes to players when they have better players on the roster. I wish the USL team was better so that there wasn't such a huge gap to jump. 

4 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

The Zanatta situation was a bit different, but yeah they all moved for playing time. I don't think you can really blame the club for this. Froese, Adekugbe and Carducci are all good players and I wish them the best, but the Caps can't go around promising minutes to players when they have better players on the roster. I wish the USL team was better so that there wasn't such a huge gap to jump. 

I think you have to put some blame on the club. The problem is they keep saying they're all about the youth when in fact they only have one kid getting actual minutes with the first team. Sure their USL team stinks but the TFC one stinks too and Montreal doesn't even have one anymore and they both give more minutes to homegrowns than Vancouver. There's an issue there that they need to amend. Either they aren't producing first team calibre players, don't trust them, aren't willing to bite the bullet on giving them the required time at the top level to find their feet or a combination of both. Any way you crack it, the club is dropping the ball somewhere. And from a pure optics standpoint it really doesn't look good that players have to leave to get minutes.

The WC2 team does not stink, it is just young, in general. They actually play quite well vs older teams in USL. Last year they were very good, into playoffs, and still did not really produce for the team, with exceptions. The previous year they gave us Parker, who is American, underpaid, and pretty competent considering. Right now they only have maybe De Wit, Dutch, and Richey, from US, who could step in and be competent. Before he was sold, Greig, who was cover for striker injuries (another American).

All of McKendry, Baldissimo, Chung, a good bunch of Canadian kids, but still a bit raw for MLS. 

The real problem is that when they do step up and can play, they either get unlucky (injuries to Levis, Adekugbe), or Robinson does not believe in them enough, ie Bustos, Froese. Even last year when we were garbage and there was no excuse not to play them, although neither made a clear argument in their favour. Teibert has not really either, he is still fighting for minutes. 

10 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think you have to put some blame on the club. The problem is they keep saying they're all about the youth when in fact they only have one kid getting actual minutes with the first team. Sure their USL team stinks but the TFC one stinks too and Montreal doesn't even have one anymore and they both give more minutes to homegrowns than Vancouver. There's an issue there that they need to amend. Either they aren't producing first team calibre players, don't trust them, aren't willing to bite the bullet on giving them the required time at the top level to find their feet or a combination of both. Any way you crack it, the club is dropping the ball somewhere. And from a pure optics standpoint it really doesn't look good that players have to leave to get minutes.

Yeah if if it's not the first 11, the bench should be filled with homegrowns. But Caps reserves aren't even Canadian. It's not too bad that they produce players which leave (as they can still grow into MNT players). But then stop with the lip service already!