Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

7 hours ago, shermanator said:

I would be very pleased if Adekugbe were to transfer to Goteborg. It seems to be a good level for him to get lots of minutes in, which is the key for his development given his struggles for minutes in Vancouver, and his injury history.

I would have thought IFK Göteborg > Whitecaps? Or perhaps at least equal? But I guess that doesn't make sense since Adekugbe wasn't playing much for VWFC but does for IFK. (Although it's not like Diskerud is dominating or anything, and he's a US International!)

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I would have thought IFK Göteborg > Whitecaps? Or perhaps at least equal? But I guess that doesn't make sense since Adekugbe wasn't playing much for VWFC but does for IFK. (Although it's not like Diskerud is dominating or anything, and he's a US International!)

Possible Sam's just keeping his cards close to his chest/opinion to himself given he may yet end up back at VWFC next year.

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think its generally accepted that the level of play in MLS is higher on average (I'm sure that Malmo would be a contender in MLS, but they are a cut above the rest of the Allsvenskan). It's a developmental league with maybe a handful of players who would be considered for  low end MLS DP slots.

25 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Possible Sam's just keeping his cards close to his chest/opinion to himself given he may yet end up back at VWFC next year.

Given the circumstances under which he left, I think he'll go on another loan before suiting up for the Caps.

8 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I've always been under the impression that the quality of Allsvenskan and MLS was around the same for non DP's, and quality of MLS DP's was significantly higher than players in the Allsvenskan. But I also don't rate MLS as high as most.

I think many posters here would argue Adekugbe has been ready to get significant minutes in MLS for a few years now when healthy.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

I've always been under the impression that the quality of Allsvenskan and MLS was around the same for non DP's, and quality of MLS DP's was significantly higher than players in the Allsvenskan. But I also don't rate MLS as high as most.

I think many posters here would argue Adekugbe has been ready to get significant minutes in MLS for a few years now when healthy.

And to add to that, these things really depend on the situation at the club. Vancouver had Harvey and a capable back up in de Jong, so unfortunately for him he's 3rd on the depth chart. I'm glad he is getting minutes in Sweden for the time being. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

And to add to that, these things really depend on the situation at the club. Vancouver had Harvey and a capable back up in de Jong, so unfortunately for him he's 3rd on the depth chart. I'm glad he is getting minutes in Sweden for the time being. 

I honeestky think Adekugbe is 4th in depth.  Next year if Harvey leaves and Dejong gets resigned, rumours are Caps might trial some cheaper imported LB and promote Levis or another academy kid at LB, so that leaves Adekugbe scrambling for minutes.  I can’t see Adekugbe accepting those conditions to come back and resign back.  He’s good as gone somewhere else.

1 hour ago, nolbertos said:

I honeestky think Adekugbe is 4th in depth.  Next year if Harvey leaves and Dejong gets resigned, rumours are Caps might trial some cheaper imported LB and promote Levis or another academy kid at LB, so that leaves Adekugbe scrambling for minutes.  I can’t see Adekugbe accepting those conditions to come back and resign back.  He’s good as gone somewhere else.

I would still call Adekugbe 3rd. Although the academy kids are more likely to be signed, that is only because of the fact that they are cheaper. Adekugbe would still play over them. But I do understand where you are coming from; Unless Adekugbe proves himself more valuable than Dejong he won’t be back. He costs too much just to be a backup or loaned out. 

9 minutes ago, farrelld said:

I haven't seen him play in a while but would Adekugbe be a good option for the Impact next year at LB? Montreal is losing Oyongo so they only have Lovitz and Francis for now. Just an idea putting two bits of information together.

Adekugbe seems to have said he wants to play in Europe. He might think playing in a smaller league in Europe he has a better chance at getting noticed by bigger clubs in bigger leagues than playing in MLS.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:21 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I would still call Adekugbe 3rd. Although the academy kids are more likely to be signed, that is only because of the fact that they are cheaper. Adekugbe would still play over them. But I do understand where you are coming from; Unless Adekugbe proves himself more valuable than Dejong he won’t be back. He costs too much just to be a backup or loaned out. 

Actually, at least as far as the cap is concerned, he costs them nothing as long as he's a homegrown player.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Adekugbe seems to have said he wants to play in Europe. He might think playing in a smaller league in Europe he has a better chance at getting noticed by bigger clubs in bigger leagues than playing in MLS.

... and he would be right.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Bdog said:

Good find. The article says Goteborg wanted to buy him from Caps, but the price was too high, so they bought a back from Denmark. And that now it seems he is going to Valerenga in Norway. A good team, similar level I would say. I suppose this would be a loan as before. 

http://fotbolltransfers.com/site/news/87985