Cyle Larin

shermanator

5 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

If Larin's form resurges I can definitely see us running a 3-4-1-2 (A variation of the 3-5-2) 

Larin - Cavallini

David

Davies - Osorio - Kaye - Arfield - Laryea/ZBG

My mom, Your nan, Obinna 

Borjan 

Did you mistakenly do a 3-5-1-2 or are you counting mothers as half a player each... in which case you obviously haven't met my NAN! 😁

I don't know who signs at Leeds, but Bielsa must have a say. And Bielsa is a rare bird, if you listen to him he's a soccer genius, as a coach he does some things at a very high level. I used to read his analysis in Spanish and he was wonderful, an exciting football mind. Leeds has flashes of brilliance, a lot of which have to do with his coaching. Alright, he is not entirely efficient and often the ideas are better than the play, but still: if Bielsa wants Larin, that is a huge stamp of approval. I respect that right there, I think it's very flattering.

Just because I would like to see him coaching again in a top flight, and for how the playoff went last year as a kind of poetic justice, would love to see Leeds promote, they deserve it. And I have never been a fan, frankly.

18 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Bielsa is among the most (if not the most) influential managers of his era. To have a Canadian play for him would be really awesome.

Just to have him interested in Larin, whatever he may see, is a huge vote of confidence.

I knew of him during the 98 World Cup,  as a commentator, and then he went to Espanyol for the 98-99 season-- then left midway for the Argentine national team, on bad terms. He was flighty, but as you say he is a great mind, like a lot of Argentines, maybe with a discourse more advanced than the reality on the pitch. Not all are like this, eg Tata Martino is not at all, nor is Simeone, but some are and they are a pleasure to listen to or read. And sometimes to watch their teams.

9 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

If Larin's form resurges I can definitely see us running a 3-4-1-2 (A variation of the 3-5-2) 

Larin - Cavallini

David

Davies - Osorio - Kaye - Arfield - Laryea/ZBG

My mom, Your nan, Obinna 

Borjan 

But seriously 

Cornelious-Vitoria/Jakovic-Henry and this team is petty good

4 hours ago, Alex said:

^^^

I feel like people lately have forgotten that an in form junior hoilett is still on this team. 

For some reason he went from the person I would think about first when mocking up a roster to someone I easily forget about 

Edited by JuicyHam

12 hours ago, Alex said:

^^^

I feel like people lately have forgotten that an in form junior hoilett is still on this team. 

He is a very professional and experienced presence. 

He has just played his first two full 90' in a row since he had a run at the end of Dec and the beginning of Jan. And added his fourth goal of the season on Saturday.  Here's hoping that bit of form continues to the end of the season and gives us a bit of a selection headache.

I openly admit my bias for players who I get to see in league action but I feel like him instead of Cavallini gives more balance, if you include Larin. 

• 1 month later...

Despite the pandemic, Leeds remain interested in Larin. The original plan was for Zulte to activate their €2.5 million purchase option and then sell him to Leeds, but apparently Zulte can no longer afford that fee due to the pandemic. Besiktas will let Larin's loan expire and then sell to Leeds. Leeds are reportedly offering €6 million.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/leeds-preparing-52m-bid-for-besiktas-striker-cyle-larin-29702505

However, it remains unclear which league Leeds will be playing in next season. Currently second in the Championship, they are in line for automatic promotion to the Prem. We'll have to wait and see what how the EFL and Premier League choose to deal with the pro/rel situation.

4 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Despite the pandemic, Leeds remain interested in Larin. The original plan was for Zulte to activate their €2.5 million purchase option and then sell him to Leeds, but apparently Zulte can no longer afford that fee due to the pandemic. Besiktas will let Larin's loan expire and then sell to Leeds. Leeds are reportedly offering €6 million.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/leeds-preparing-52m-bid-for-besiktas-striker-cyle-larin-29702505

However, it remains unclear which league Leeds will be playing in next season. Currently second in the Championship, they are in line for automatic promotion to the Prem. We'll have to wait and see what how the EFL and Premier League choose to deal with the pro/rel situation.

That's both good news for Larin but just unfortunate news for Zulte. A club like that could really use a good transfer fee like that 

Hmm seems like a cant miss investment. Do you think they will take Visa?

You would assume someone would step in or they could get credit from somewhere to spend the 2.5 and then just turn around and sell him. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck at Besiktas somehow.

Edited by Stryker911

17 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Hmm seems like a cant miss investment. Do you think they will take Visa?

You would assume someone would step in or they could get credit from somewhere to spend the 2.5 and then just turn around and sell him. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck at Besiktas somehow.

That was my first thought.  Hell, even if you had to undermine Besiktas on the sale price and sold him for 4m just to ensure the sale, that would be some good business.

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Would Larin even get a work permit?

Think he would need to have played a certain percentage of national team games. Dnp against USA home and away, played home and away to Cuba iirc. Gold cup he Dnp against Haiti, but played against Mexico and Cuba, I think. Did he play against Martinique? Can't remember now. Life before covid 19 is becoming fuzzy lol

I think it'll be close for him qualifying, but he should hopefully be okay. Would be a little ridiculous for a 25 year old with 31 caps and 8 goals to not qualify.

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/ 

These are apparently the requirements for a work permit. Doesn't really make it clear on what the rules are for international matches if your country is ranked outside the top 50. There possibly is exceptions to the rules based on if the player is an exceptional talent but chooses not to play international football but I don't think Larin would get an exemption because he's just not good enough.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Think he would need to have played a certain percentage of national team games. Dnp against USA home and away, played home and away to Cuba iirc. Gold cup he Dnp against Haiti, but played against Mexico and Cuba, I think. Did he play against Martinique? Can't remember now. Life before covid 19 is becoming fuzzy lol

I think it'll be close for him qualifying, but he should hopefully be okay. Would be a little ridiculous for a 25 year old with 31 caps and 8 goals to not qualify.

Its not even the appearances, doesn't Canada not meet the ranking requirements?

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Its not even the appearances, doesn't Canada not meet the ranking requirements?

I just read that how a player must of played 75% of his national team games and the nation must be ranked in the top 70. Seems possible Larin could qualify but it would be tight.

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

I just read that how a player must of played 75% of his national team games and the nation must be ranked in the top 70. Seems possible Larin could qualify but it would be tight.

That might be old

The current Premier League Handbook has this:

"Required Percentage means:
• for National Associations ranked between 1 and 10 of the Aggregated FIFA World
Rankings, 30% and above;
• for National Associations ranked between 11 and 20 of the Aggregated FIFA World
Rankings, 45% and above;
• for National Associations ranked between 21 and 30 of the Aggregated FIFA World
Rankings, 60% and above; and
• for National Associations ranked between 31 and 50 of the Aggregated FIFA World
Rankings, 75% and above."

Even for the secondary percentage for the points based appeals process it's: 

"Secondary Percentage means:

• for National Associations ranked between 1 and 10 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 25% and above;

• for National Associations ranked between 11 and 15 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 30% and above;

• for National Associations ranked between 16 and 20 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 40% and above;

• for National Associations ranked between 21 and 25 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 45% and above;

• for National Associations ranked between 26 and 30 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 55% and above;

• for National Associations ranked between 31 and 50 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 60% and above; and

• for National Associations ranked between 51 and 60 of the Aggregated FIFA World Rankings, 75% and above."

https://premierleague-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/premierleague/document/2018/09/19/ef4c62c9-6b19-4189-a064-d212cbf68ce7/PL_Handbook_2018-19_Digital.pdf

17 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/ 

These are apparently the requirements for a work permit. Doesn't really make it clear on what the rules are for international matches if your country is ranked outside the top 50. There possibly is exceptions to the rules based on if the player is an exceptional talent but chooses not to play international football but I don't think Larin would get an exemption because he's just not good enough.

Your link (and mine) shows the points appeals process.  Most of them are contract and transfer fee based and if they are looking to get him on the cheap, that will not help.

I don't think the Belgian League is either a "Top" or "Secondary" League for this purpose, so no point there, I believe. 

Overall, may just be transfer talk or they could do Doneil Henry weirdness. 

• 1 month later...

News is about 10 days old, but reports are there's uncertainty surrounding the Larin to Leeds move.....

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-transfer-news-larin-18286523

Leeds suffer Larin blow

Leeds have been repeatedly linked with Besiktas striker Cyle Larin, but any hopes of a deal appear to be over.

The 25-year old has spent this season on loan at Zulte Waregem in Belgium, and according to journalist Safak Malatya, the club were hoping to sign him from Besiktas before quickly selling him on to make a profit. However, the coronavirus crisis has left them financially unable to complete the move.

Leeds may still deal with Besiktas directly, but it remains to be seen how this potential transfer will now pan out.

Edited by Obinna

^ I suppose that's not really news, as nothing has really changed, but more so an update that nothing has changed :)

At least the deal doesn't seem to be dead. I would like to see him leave Besiktas, preferably on a permanent transfer, but a loan works too.

Edited by Obinna