Liam Millar

Northvansteve

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

His missus reads the foums??  Mine will barely let me turn the TV to a game  and gives me a very bored/kill me now look when I start complaining about "some kid who grew up in canada but now wants to play for another country" for the millionth time.  As if when her fav soap hunk left young and the restless and went to Days of our lives I didnt hear about it for weeks!!  

Hope you're all doing great with the new baby, as well. Pencilled in for Olympic qualifying in 2039, already. 😉 

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don’t think there’s a single person not rooting for Millar, or any other Canadian player to succeed. If I’m interpreted as something other than that, then the points are missed. I appreciate dad being here and giving updates, but facts and stats are the reality that my opinions are based on. Right now we are in a golden generation where we aren’t as short for options as in the past and promising talent can’t be the end all be all. If so Ballou, Bair, Tristan and now Yankov should receive the same preferential treatment. 

If he goes to the championship I hope he tears it up like Brewster did.

I am picking up what you are throwing down. Your perspective is that based on stats he arguably does not deserve his place in the team.

My question to you is, where do you draw the line between stats and the other stuff that gets you in the team, such as mentality, chemistry with others, specific attributes, etc.?

I am not suggesting any of those are a substitute for getting on the scoresheet with your club, which Liam has underwhelmed in.

But surely he had been meeting the base requirements: playing regularly and (sort of) making an impact with an above average club in a decent league.

For me he meets the base requirements for where our team is at, and if the stats don't justify his place in the team, maybe he offers something else that is useful? That is my perspective anyhow. I suspect Herdman only plays favourites based on merit as he would define it, stats or otherwise.

In other words, I am fine with Millar getting the amount of call ups he's gotten. And besides, he has done well every time he has played for us, so there's that going for him. I have a tough time with the argument that his spot is undeserved.  

Edited by Obinna

27 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

It's crazy to me some of the keyboard warriors on here feel the need to explain to us all how Millar will end up in his career.

Some of us just have a different opinion based on what we saw. I want every Canadian player to become a star, but if I see things I don't like I'm not going to just blindly hype someone.

Doesn't mean we're not cheering for him. I would be happy as fuck if he proves people like me wrong. I would always exchange a bruised ego if it means Canada becomes better lol.

I’ve always been high on Liam and as someone who has played football, you can see the potential he has.

I think nowadays, a lot of supporters opinions are rather cheap and lazy. Easy to look at someone’s Wikipedia page, observe “data” and create some surface opinion. But in current times, that is the way of the world.

He clearly has a lot of quality and there’s a reason he’s on the books of arguably the best team on the planet. 

Hoping Liam crushes his next loan. I am sure he will turn heads. 

I think we’ve all seen the skill set Liam brings to the table, a pacy winger/striker with boat loads of technical skills with the ball, as well as a knack for finding the back of the net. He was a young lad playing in a very rough/tough league in the SPFL and was a fan favourite, they wanted him back a second time. He’s a very important part of the future of this team, and, in my honest opinion, is who we see directly replace Junior on our wing opposite of Alphonso. Spitfire, i know every single one of us appreciate all the knowledge and information you bless us with on this forum, and we all look forward to watching you/your sons journey through the professional football world. Can’t blame a proud dad for wanting to quiet the haters, just know they’re a small, vocal minority. Thank you again!!

Just reminding anyone, in case you forgot, that we have a 20 year old Canadian , who rejected England youth for Canada , playing on the first team on one of the worlds best clubs and collected his first appearance for the club this year . If that’s not enough right now , I don’t know what is 

If he wasn’t capped, we would be begging for him to join 

I might have posted this before but I feel like some people have this "Liverpool or bust" mindset sometimes. I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of him becoming a regular but obviously it's going to be hard, it's not the end of the world if he doesn't break into the first team. If Liam goes to another team in the premier league, that's still huge for the national team.

The fact that he hasn't gotten to play since earlier this year hasn't helped with detractors, until he gets his loan (hopefully to Swansea) he hasn't had a chance to prove anyone wrong. That's a bit of a tough situation, if I was Liam I'd probably want to be playing asap after the loan ended and the pandemic kinda ruined that. It's not fair to judge him on just goals/assists for a low scoring team like Kilmarnock, let's see how he does the second time around. 

1 minute ago, Bdog said:

I might have posted this before but I feel like some people have this "Liverpool or bust" mindset sometimes. I'm not completely ruling out the possibility of him becoming a regular but obviously it's going to be hard, it's not the end of the world if he doesn't break into the first team. If Liam goes to another team in the premier league, that's still huge for the national team.

The fact that he hasn't gotten to play since earlier this year hasn't helped with detractors, until he gets his loan (hopefully to Swansea) he hasn't had a chance to prove anyone wrong. That's a bit of a tough situation, if I was Liam I'd probably want to be playing asap after the loan ended and the pandemic kinda ruined that. It's not fair to judge him on just goals/assists for a low scoring team like Kilmarnock, let's see how he does the second time around. 

^This...

There's absolutely no shame in not being able to break into what is without question one of the top 5 best club sides in the world today, particularly for a 20-year old. Let's be real...Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain...all experienced internationals who have trouble getting regular games at Liverpool. Liam needs to be taking the opportunity to learn all that he can in the privileged environment he's in and be ready to grab his chance on loan, when it comes.

We can't forget the lessons of Terry Dunfield. Was a promising young player poised to make his breakthrough at (pre-Abu Dhabi) Man City. He got ahead of himself, made demands beyond his reasonable station, and ended up banished. Liam needs to be patient and listen to the right people, and just be ready.

41 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Yeah I’m with you on that. He can be a big contributor for us without ever even being a Premier League regular. If he spends most of his career as a starter in the Championship, that’s plenty good enough to earn big minutes for Canada. Of course, I’m hoping for much more than that, but he’s too young now to really know what his future holds.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

^This...

There's absolutely no shame in not being able to break into what is without question one of the top 5 best club sides in the world today, particularly for a 20-year old. Let's be real...Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain...all experienced internationals who have trouble getting regular games at Liverpool. Liam needs to be taking the opportunity to learn all that he can in the privileged environment he's in and be ready to grab his chance on loan, when it comes.

We can't forget the lessons of Terry Dunfield. Was a promising young player poised to make his breakthrough at (pre-Abu Dhabi) Man City. He got ahead of himself, made demands beyond his reasonable station, and ended up banished. Liam needs to be patient and listen to the right people, and just be ready.

Didn’t Dunfield had a serious knee injury that he did fully recover from? 

3 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Didn’t Dunfield had a serious knee injury that he did fully recover from? 

The story was, as I've read it, that he went to Keegan demanding guarantees of playing time, which pissed Keegan off enough to bin him off to whichever lower league club would take him. I think his injury came a few years afterwards.

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The story was, as I've read it, that he went to Keegan demanding guarantees of playing time, which pissed Keegan off enough to bin him off to whichever lower league club would take him. I think his injury came a few years afterwards.

He's mentioned that unfortunately it still bothers him a lot to this day, he said he usually wakes up in some sort of pain every day.

21 hours ago, spitfire said:

You are right I can’t atm comment not about loans and with all the Liam bashing of certain posters in other threads (more than one...) by the usual suspects I better not.
I end up typing a long reply stating all his stats and accomplishments records and who he plays for and how long of a contract with LFC he has blah blah blah

But what does it get me??! I end up deleting it as in the end to some people no matter how far Liam has come and how well he does it won’t change their opinion. Their issues are personal ,mostly uninformed and most follow an agenda. 

Liam has his own pathway. He has done very very well and any call up or position  he has gotten is based on skill and merit And hard work. End of story.

He is a proud Canadian who is very honoured to have played for Canada and hopes to have  more call ups but every one will have to be earned. 

And for the record him and his missus read this forum every now and then...

have a nice night 

Thanks for sharing with us Spitfire, Its such a treat!  We're proud of both you and Liam. 

Peace and respect! 

I don’t really see much “bashing” of Liam here tbh. I think everyone is pulling for him to be a huge success. Honest appraisals of his quality and performance shouldn’t be seen as bashing nor taken personally. I would hope we don’t have to filter every single player assessment / comment on this forum as if close family members are reading it - think that would get old pretty fast.

a loan to Swansea (or any championship side really) would be a big step up from his SPL experience. Think this would tell us a lot about Liam’s development and future expectations - hope he kills it!

On 8/13/2020 at 4:34 PM, spitfire said:

with all the Liam bashing of certain posters... by the usual suspects....him and his missus read this forum every now and then...

Based on a few crazy posters, they must thing we're all complete nutters!

On 8/13/2020 at 4:34 PM, spitfire said:

You are right I can’t atm comment not about loans....honoured to have played for Canada and hopes to have  more call ups but every one will have to be earned. 

@spitfire A somewhat theoretical question: Would he be allowed to negotiate a clause in his loan contract to be released as a one time deal OUTSIDE of a FIFA date?

Barring injury or some sort of implosion of form between now and March, he's a shoe-in into our 20-man U23 Olympic Qualifying squad

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Barring injury or some sort of implosion of form between now and March, he's a shoe-in into our 20-man U23 Olympic Qualifying squad

He's either on the senior team or the Olympic team but he shouldn't be on both. It's not fair to ask a young player, who is fighting to establish himself as a starter, to be away from his club team (loan or otherwise) too frequently. It'll make it harder for any player to establish himself as a professional and that is detrimental to having the best players pool available for the senior team.

Millar has been a senor team regular. The spot on the Olympic team should go to another promising player. Perhaps one of these dual nationals we should be trying to recruit.