Liam Fraser

shamrock

• 3 weeks later...

It's about opening up midfield first team minutes not about being a direct replacement. 

Chapman being traded opens 500+ midfield minutes to other players.  No reason why Fraser can't get some of that pie.  Not every time Fraser gets on the field is going to be because Michael Bradley is coming off. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Isn't Marky Delgado the one standing in Fraser's way? Bradley as well

I'm a big fan of Liam Fraser. Would love to see him move on. I think he would be a great fit in English football

The way Vanney moves guys around in the midfield and depending on the formation etc...Delgado is taking up the spot where Fraser could get some more minutes.  But Vanney has deemed him irreplaceable (even more so than Bradley) and he led the team in minutes this year.  What was true for Chapman also works here, there is a roadblock in front of him.  And judging on Vanneys preferences its probably best Fraser gets out sooner than later.  If Bradley isnt resigned its a whole new ballgame.  

Based on his comments in this article, he's hoping to go to Europe at some point.. I think that would be fantastic for him and us:

“Playing with better players in general pushes me to want to be a better player and think at a faster pace,” he said. “It’s great competition and a great opportunity but it’s also a good stepping stone, to maybe realize what could be across the pond and what I have to develop in order to get over there.”

from: https://canpl.ca/article/no-friendly-nothin-canmnts-fraser-hoping-to-play-spoiler-vs-michael-bradley

Chapman leaving doesn't change a thing. He was not getting called up and when he did play, he played out of position out wide.

He isn't going to be picked over Delgado. Different style of play, they have different roles. The only player in Fraser's way is Bradley. That's it. And if Bradley plays, Fraser won't see the bench. I really see him going on loan or being let go.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would say bad news for TFC too. You don't want your max TAM singing out for 4 months...

Made even worse after Altidore goes off on TFC for "mishandling" the situation.  He should be an expert given how much time he has spent on the sidelines and on the training table. 

9 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Made even worse after Altidore goes off on TFC for "mishandling" the situation.  He should be an expert given how much time he has spent on the sidelines and on the training table. 

He’s right though.  Or does anyone think that Bradley and TFC worked out a longer offseason for him?

It just doesn’t make sense that you say he’s a priority to re-sign and then you forgot to give him a medical? Lol.

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He’s right though.  Or does anyone think that Bradley and TFC worked out a longer offseason for him?

It just doesn’t make sense that you say he’s a priority to re-sign and then you forgot to give him a medical? Lol.

He may be right with 20/20 hindsight, but obviously neither Bradley nor the club thought the injury to be serious as it turned out.

And no, I don't think Bradley and the Club "worked out a longer offseason".  Not in Bradley's character or the club's best interests for a TAM player as someone noted above.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would say bad news for TFC too. You don't want your max TAM singing out for 4 months...

Unfortunate but from what we have seen from Fraser he looks like he is a capable DM and hopefully he will prove us right. The biggest hole will be Bradley’s leadership.  Someone will need to step in and assume the captaincy.

I just hope we don’t panic sign some average MLS midfielder to fill in. 

I’m confident Fraser can do the job, hopefully he does well like always and forces Vanney to keep him on the pitch when Bradley is back. Bradley doing Delgado’s role should work. 

Also I doubt we’ll see it but it would be great if Okello gets a few chances because of this as well, even if it’s off the bench. 

10 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Bradley doing Delgado’s role should work.

As a number 8, I really can't see Bradley being that player at all.

11 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Also I doubt we’ll see it but it would be great if Okello gets a few chances because of this as well, even if it’s off the bench. 

Let's hope.

Yes good that Fraser gets this long awaited chance in the team in place of Bradley, but I am not convinced DM is his best position. 

It is better to get in the team as the 6 than not at all, obviously, and it's a job I expect Fraser to do well, but I see his potential as an 8 the more I watch him.

If he is a true DM, he certainly did a good job for Canada masquerading as an 8.

With any luck, he'll take over Delgado's role once Bradley returns. With Pozuelo, Osorio, Delgado, Bradley and Fraser, Toronto are more than set in the midfield and could possibly even trade or sell one of them on.

They are all starting quality MLS players and it's starting to feel like one too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if Fraser proves himself like we all expect him to.

Edited by Obinna