Liam Fraser

shamrock

Great opportunity for Fraser.  In the TFC-Whitecaps game in Vancouver last year, he and Delgado were a very good pairing in the middle of the park.  However, the Caps have no excuses for any kind of disorganized midfield performance this time around as they have been at home for a lengthy period and should be well prepped from the training ground time.  I'd love to see him really shine out there on Saturday night, sticking it to his former club.

Edited by BearcatSA

57 minutes ago, jordan said:

What would the reaction be if for example Fraser was bypassed for Okello. 

Confusion.

If that's the case then it would be obvious that Vanney doesn't rate Fraser at all.  Okello is good and has a lot of potential, but Liam is better right now.  If Vanney wants to win after a lacklustre performance against Montreal, the choice between the two would be Fraser.

The thing about Fraser is that he is up against Bradley, Osorio and Delgado. How long have these players been together? 5-6 years? 

It is annoying for us, because we see a clearly talented Fraser on the bench. I don't think Vanney "not rating" Fraser explains it. 

Look at it this way: Rightly or wrongly, Bradley is untouchable. Osorio offers something different. Everyone understands this, which is why everyone looks to Delgado as the one Fraser should replace. Fraser is arguably more talented than Delgado, so why does he not get more chances? I think it comes down to Delgado's function in the team. He gives the team something Vanney likes. He obviously has chemistry with Osorio and Bradley. They have played together forever. They have won many things playing alongside each other.

I think looking at it this way is more logical than "Vanney doesn't rate Fraser". If Vanney didn't rate Fraser, we would not even be having this discussion, because Fraser would be off playing soccer somewhere else. Vanney is not going to have players in his team who he doesn't rate. 

Edited by Obinna

14 hours ago, top cheese said:

Tfc and vanneys responsibility is to play the players they think are going to win. That’s what happens in a first team

Agreed but at the same time the rhetoric that MLS academies in Canada being so superior needs to be tone the F DOWN.

What does that say when they are utterly incapable to develop talent that can make the 1st team constantly?

Hence why I CRINGE when I see those U teams with MLS heavy rosters.

TFC win and that is their objective. The MLS is not set up to give young players opportunities because teams don't have that financial motivation to sell on players. The league has their hands in each teams pocket

Fraser should move to Europe. MLS is a disaster right now anyways. He would even be better off in the CPL right now to showcase himself 

Edited by SpursFlu

14 hours ago, top cheese said:

Tfc and vanneys responsibility is to play the players they think are going to win. That’s what happens in a first team

Results are the only metric to judge managers for club & country. Some managers however, are able to be successful by deploying  young players...Lampard for example....there are others. The "safe" route for Flick would have been to play Hernandez or Pavard at left back but he stuck with Davies eventhough he had some challenges in his first few games. Not saying Davies and Fraser are equals but would Vanney have had the same patience with Davies? I think not.  I am glad to see Fraser getting sub minutes...that's all he needs for confidence and to take his game to the next level but Vanney needs to stay the course. 

Its funny that there are teenagers getting chances across the league and some coaches are willing to go young.  The numbers arent good overall but its not impossible.  Not every team is able to have a 21million dollar wage bill, and be able to afford 300g a year on the 4th CB.  Most teams would go with a young cheap option (like Dunn/Romeo/Boskovic) that they developed themselves and give him the 500-1000 end of the bench minutes. And hopefully the coach and the academy is rewarded with someone that can develop into a useful player.  But I guess its much easier and safer to blow cash of guys like Gallardo, VanderWiel, Aketxe, Boyd etc...you know,  cant miss veterans... wouldnt want to fall flat on your face by playing some cheap kids eh??  

54 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Its funny that there are teenagers getting chances across the league and some coaches are willing to go young.  The numbers arent good overall but its not impossible.  Not every team is able to have a 21million dollar wage bill, and be able to afford 300g a year on the 4th CB.  Most teams would go with a young cheap option (like Dunn/Romeo/Boskovic) that they developed themselves and give him the 500-1000 end of the bench minutes. And hopefully the coach and the academy is rewarded with someone that can develop into a useful player.  But I guess its much easier and safer to blow cash of guys like Gallardo, VanderWiel, Aketxe, Boyd etc...you know,  cant miss veterans... wouldnt want to fall flat on your face by playing some cheap kids eh??  

Point taken but 1) Aketxe and Gallardo were not veterans. They were young promising players who were somewhat proven, hence they commanded big money. 2) You say it yourself, teams go young out of financial necessity. Why then do we blame a team with means for using those means? Clearly those other teams would do the same. 

There is an argument that going young is more sustainable, but how teams choose to spend is their own perogative. TFC are very successful, so they are meeting their objectives, but even with all their success they still want to trend younger, so good for them in some respect.

Edited by Obinna