Liam Fraser

shamrock

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

I was very impressed with both the range and accuracy of  Fraser's passing yesterday especially at this level and the position he was playing. His completion rate must have been right up there. Probably his best performance with the first team to date.

Agreed, his passing was absolutely fantastic. He can rake them touchline to touchline, but to me the most impressive part was his bravery passing forward, through the lines, breaking down the opposition's shape. He's already a better passer than Bradley. He really has a mind for the position.

My big issue with him is his lack of agility. He is good in the air, but defending 1v1 or in space he was slow, and offensively I think it will make it difficult for him to combine quickly in tight spaces. More than a few times it seemed like he just got the pass off quick enough.

Still, he's 19 and playing in a very difficult position. I have high hopes for him, Canada hasn't produced a player like him in a long time.

19 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Still, he's 19 and playing in a very difficult position. I have high hopes for him, Canada hasn't produced a player like him in a long time.

How about Piette or MAK? Not doubting you but from what I’ve seen they’re quite similar role wise.  

15 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How about Piette or MAK? Not doubting you but from what I’ve seen they’re quite similar role wise.  

They nominally play the same position (Fraser and Piette definitely do, I think MAK has played deepest but when I've seen him he's often beside someone), but stylistically they're very different. Piette is much more active in breaking up play and covering lots of ground, and with the ball he's usually deferring to others with short passing and simply attempting to keep possession (although he has improved his forward passing over the last little bit, I have been pleasantly surprised). I haven't seen that much of MAK this season but he's always struck me as a space eater.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

My big issue with him is his lack of agility. He is good in the air, but defending 1v1 or in space he was slow, and offensively I think it will make it difficult for him to combine quickly in tight spaces. More than a few times it seemed like he just got the pass off quick enough.

I don't see a quick athlete type here.  This has to improve in some way in order for him to take it to the next level.

36 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

He's definitely not quick as far as pace goes, but his speed of thought did seem fast. I

It doesn't match his speed of technique.  As Diego pointed out, he just got the pass off a couple of times.

The young guy needs many, many minutes before you can do the thumbs up/thumbs down, for sure.  He just doesn't jump out at me at the moment.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

They nominally play the same position (Fraser and Piette definitely do, I think MAK has played deepest but when I've seen him he's often beside someone), but stylistically they're very different. Piette is much more active in breaking up play and covering lots of ground, and with the ball he's usually deferring to others with short passing and simply attempting to keep possession (although he has improved his forward passing over the last little bit, I have been pleasantly surprised). I haven't seen that much of MAK this season but he's always struck me as a space eater.

Fair enough, I ask because I think Piette is very similar. Both are good from range and not amazing passing but decent enough (see piettes through ball to Piatti a few weeks back).  MAK is a bit more dynamic than both and can play out wide even.

I thought he as excellent.  His passing was fantastic as said. He really can spread it around the park. And move the ball forward into spaces that break the defence down. And his speed of thought is impressive.  I imagine he will just get better in that regard if he can get more minutes. 

Agree that he is slow of foot.  He really needs to work on that as much as possible.  And really need to see how his defending develops. 

Piette is more of a destroyer type in that role. Where with Fraser you lose something defensively but gain it in going forward with his passing. It will be interesting how they both develop but he will give the national team options in the years ahead  

14 hours ago, honestseveran said:

Neither Xabi Alonso nor Sergio Busques or even closer to home, Benoit Cheyrou are fleet of foot and they all carved out an excellent career at D-Mid.

I strongly disagree that Busquets does not have fleet feet. There are numerous examples of his quick feet in the first 90 seconds of this video:

I would also argue that Alonso and Cheyrou do not have slow feet. None of the three you mentioned have any long speed, but they all are more agile than what I've seen from Fraser so far.

14 hours ago, honestseveran said:

Neither Xabi Alonso nor Sergio Busques or even closer to home, Benoit Cheyrou are fleet of foot and they all carved out an excellent career at D-Mid.

Dont forget Pirilo! I'm not even Italian but that guy was under 50 out of 100 for pace in every single FIFA edition game!  &He was a mainstay for Italy!

Whenever I played a guy that started Pirilo.... it was super tilting playing vs an opponent who know how to use his 97/100 passing ability. 

Agree though, pace is important, I am sure he will try and improve it, but if it's not there you can still carve out a decent career by utilizing your other strengths!

Good luck to him.

Edited by apbsmith

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Let's not start comparing 19 year old kids with Pirlo just yet...

No one is saying that. The debate is whether being athletic is a requirement to be a successful D-Mid when it's a much more nuanced role in the team. Someone like Piette needs creative players around him to balance out his more limited passing range, like Fraser. Fraser needs a destroyer and someone that can cover a lot of ground, like Piette.

5 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Not long ago people were concerned with Piette's mobility. Just let Fraser mature physically and we'll see what happens.

He's going to get stronger, for sure.  That will help parts of his defensive game.  He's shown some promise in other areas.  Hopefully he continues to develop into a quality player for club and maybe country. 

On 5/29/2018 at 8:36 AM, shamrock said:

Let's not start comparing 19 year old kids with Pirlo just yet...

haha fair enough, but to be fair, I wasnt comparing him as an individual to Pirilo, I was referencing if are slow, you can still have a solid career in footy.

• 1 month later...

The more I watch him, the more I like him. But I do think he needs to be in a side that possesses the ball more often than not (which he of course will help with). Should get a fair number of caps when all is said and done. Good to have a young central midfielder that is different in style from Piette, Kaye, etc.