Liam Fraser

shamrock

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yes good that Fraser gets this long awaited chance in the team in place of Bradley, but I am not convinced DM is his best position. 

It is better to get in the team as the 6 than not at all, obviously, and it's a job I expect Fraser to do well, but I see his potential as an 8 the more I watch him.

If he is a true DM, he certainly did a good job for Canada masquerading as an 8.

With any luck, he'll take over Delgado's role once Bradley returns. With Pozuelo, Osorio, Delgado, Bradley and Fraser, Toronto are more than set in the midfield and could possibly even trade or sell one of them on.

They are all starting quality MLS players and it's starting to feel like one too many cooks in the kitchen, especially if Fraser proves himself like we all expect him to.

Really? I see him as more of a 6 than Bradley. 

I think he will start with Delgado and Osorio with pozuelo on a wing to start the year. 

12 minutes ago, gator said:

We are making the assumption that Fraser even starts in Bradley's place, it would not surprise me to see Vanney play Delgado or even Deleon in that position, if Fraser does get to start I expect he will be on a very short leash and there won't be much room for error!

Awwww, Gator..we were having a moment!!  Now you went and ruined it with what Vanney will probably do, bury a CDN prospect with a shitty american journeyman.  

13 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Really? I see him as more of a 6 than Bradley. 

I think he will start with Delgado and Osorio with pozuelo on a wing to start the year. 

Most people think he is a natural 6.

I think he can play well as a 6.

I also suspect he can evolve into an 8.

He was pretty dynamic in the Kaye role against the US and especially against Iceland. 

I am not advocating for him to play as an 8 per se, I am just pointing out that he is showing characteristics which suggest he can play further up field.

Bradley is kind of the opposite. He evolved from an 8 into a 6 due to age.

Edited by Obinna

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the "window of opportunity" for Fraser with Bradley's injury is closing fast. By the time MLS restarts, Bradley will mostly likely be fit again. He needs  playing time now to further develop and may need to transfer out of TFC to accomplish that. The alternative is going down the path of Jordan Hamilton and Jay Chapman who elected to hang on for too long.

I feel for Fraser, but look at a guy like Jakovic.  Having a nice resurgence, getting playing time....might not be around next year.  Same with Hutchinson.  Shitty deal all around for everyone, but at least the young guys will still have more time to play.  

21 hours ago, Kadenge said:

the "window of opportunity" for Fraser with Bradley's injury is closing fast. By the time MLS restarts, Bradley will mostly likely be fit again. He needs  playing time now to further develop and may need to transfer out of TFC to accomplish that. The alternative is going down the path of Jordan Hamilton and Jay Chapman who elected to hang on for too long.

It became apparent in the first couple of games that the window of opportunity was closed for Fraser with Vanney moving Delgado into the MB role, I agree he probably needs to move on from TFC sooner than later once things get going again whenever that may be!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Funny that the CBs came off to keep them safe and ready for next game but Bradley didnt.  He was the one coming off the injury.  Also funny that once the offensive sparkplugs were subbed out (Piatti/Poz), the supposed "engine" guys looked pretty lost and ineffective for all the running around they did.  

After a misplaced forward lofted ball to a breaking Laryea down the wing when he first got on the pitch, Fraser accomplished more quality forward and link up play in the next few minutes than Delgado did in his entire 65 mins.  It’s so frustrating seeing Fraser nailed to the bench in favour of a guy with awful touch and vision who just runs around (and his over praised for his defensive abilities - positioning / instincts most notably).

Just listening to Vanney bark orders I think he likes Delgado because they work well together. I am not saying Liam doesn't, but it must be very valuable to a coach to have a player you can depend on to do what you say, pick up the positions you want him in, etc. 

Liam did a fine job last night though. Didn't play his way off the team or onto it.

With a place in the next round secured, let's hope he gets more game time.

The struggle continues...

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

After a misplaced forward lofted ball to a breaking Laryea down the wing when he first got on the pitch, Fraser accomplished more quality forward and link up play in the next few minutes than Delgado did in his entire 65 mins.  It’s so frustrating seeing Fraser nailed to the bench in favour of a guy with awful touch and vision who just runs around (and his over praised for his defensive abilities - positioning / instincts most notably).

I have always been impressed with his play in the limited opportunity he gets, he sure can make a pass, reads the game well and his positional play seems good to me despite Vanny continousily barking at him like a youth team coach, hopefully he gets some more minutes and can develop his game more! 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just listening to Vanney bark orders I think he likes Delgado because they work well together. I am not saying Liam doesn't, but it must be very valuable to a coach to have a player you can depend on to do what you say, pick up the positions you want him in, etc.

I've been trying to put my finger on what it is about Delgado but I think you got it.  Vanney has that same disease that we have seen so many times in Canadian national team coaches.  There are types of players that always pop up and I think its because they are attentive and work hard in practice and tend to eke out game time from that.  So I see Delgado a lot like the players we've had like that over the years:

- Jeremy Gagnon-Lepare
- Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault
- Chris Manella
- Ethan Gage