Steven Vitória

Yohan

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I like the guy, but in the gold cup he played like 2 minutes and conceded a PK and was caught in no mans land as his man ended up forcing an own goal.  It's harsh to penalize the guy but its hard to imagine subbing in the 90th in 2 games and conceding right after. 

However, its unfair to hold that against him forever. But as a RB he's quite a ways off from a CMNT. If hes not playing regularly at CB its hard to see how he gets the call up. To me, hes very similar to waterman. Not really great at anything and playing at a poorish level.

IMO He's the oldest CB (after vitoria) in our player pool, his ceiling is the lowest, he has a lack of experience (I wouldnt trust him at azteca), hes not consistently playing CB, poland is not a great level, he doesnt offer any complimentary skills to any of our other CB partners. 

Damn.....  zats didnt deserve that.

Is your assessment based on 2 minutes at the Gold Cup? 😉

Looks like you don't really know what he's been up too either - even captained once. He claimed the CB spot this season.

Screenshot_20230919-215050_Chrome.jpg.db2a7b361db024a6d771bb50a416fe5e.jpg

Last year, won the starting spot, played mostly RB and played a few times CB - kept it, defended well according to the stats (1G, 1A, MOTM, clubs best D in half a season helping them escaping relegation), defended well against the better sides of the league (who plays Champions league and Europa - you did see them play, right?)

Oh and best defender or mvp of his club

Definately deserves more opportunities (he was called when Waterman wasn't, no?). Good in the air, threat on free kicks and corners, faster than Vitória and definately McGraw....nope, didn't deserve that

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Is your assessment based on 2 minutes at the Gold Cup? 😉

Looks like you don't really know what he's been up too either - even captained once. He claimed the CB spot this season.

Screenshot_20230919-215050_Chrome.jpg.db2a7b361db024a6d771bb50a416fe5e.jpg

Last year, won the starting spot, played mostly RB and played a few times CB - kept it, defended well according to the stats (1G, 1A, MOTM, clubs best D in half a season helping them escaping relegation), defended well against the better sides of the league (who plays Champions league and Europa - you did see them play, right?)

Oh and best defender or mvp of his club

Definately deserves more opportunities (he was called when Waterman wasn't, no?). Good in the air, threat on free kicks and corners, faster than Vitória and definately McGraw....nope, didn't deserve that

Great post! I'll admit when I am wrong.

Am I sold on him being what the CMNT needs? No. Am I sold on any CB's in the pool.... also no. 

I do trust Kennedy (given our pool) and based on what youre saying, Zator should be at a somewhat comparable level. 

He certainly beats out waterman and heibert for me. 

It's just a shame that as a fan, I am not allowed to see past his 2 bad minutes in a CMNT shirt and change my mind about him.......

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Vitoria started for Changes v. Estrela da Amadora

Another match and almost another loss; GD Chaves are bottom of the League table but they finally manage to grab a point in stoppage time!

The transfer window in Portugal closed on Friday so it's hard to see how this team will get any better but I am glad they managed to salvage a point from this match.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:
6 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

GD Chaves lose 5-3 on penalties after a scoreless 120 minutes. 

On the one hand, good to see he can still play 120+ minutes and help his team keep a clean sheet

On the other hand, getting bumped out of the Portuguese Cup by a 3rd tier side is rough 😬

Exactly my thoughts. The result is embarrassing. That said, you can't really fault the backline for keeping it 0-0. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Vitoria went 90 for Chaves in a 2-2 draw with Famalicao. 

3 of his teammates at Chaves have been called up to the African Cup of Nations. The team has less depth.

https://www.abola.pt/futebol/noticias/chaves-moreno-testa-solucoes-para-suprir-ausencias-de-bruno-langa-guima-e-joao-correia-2024010417062634322

Good to seem him play a full match after being stuck to the bench for the previous one and getting subbed out at the 30th minute during the match before that.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

He is still the CB I trust most along with Kamal Miller. I hope someone else can step up.

I agree unfortunately. LDF may still be too far away and I just haven't seen enough of Bombito or McGraw to feel comfortable yet. Cornelius or Kennedy on the right are not the answer either. Servicable squad players who could replace Miller in the line up on their day, but I don't want to see either of these guys on the right. 

14 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I think McGraw is underrated and will be great for the program if he stays healthy. He is top 2% in the league in terms of defensive actions and top 10% for aerial duels.

image.png.8514df508e653d8123ed5fb47f559785.png  

I think many on here assessed him on that 1 GC game as too slow where he was playing RCB in a back 3...that was on the coaching Staff. 

52 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Our defensive development has been so disappointing. Guys seem to be maxing out at MLS level.

MLS level is good enough to take that spot. Vitoria and Miller are MLS level, they have just been consistently MLS level and not dropping off. Obviously I'd love a CB who holds down a starting spot in a top league.

1 minute ago, Ruffian said:

MLS level is good enough to take that spot. Vitoria and Miller are MLS level, they have just been consistently MLS level and not dropping off. Obviously I'd love a CB who holds down a starting spot in a top league.

Perhaps consistent MLS all star level would do, but if we are to challenge for top 3 we need a higher level.

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

He is still the CB I trust most along with Kamal Miller. I hope someone else can step up.

It's complicated.  Most of us (including myself here) have Miller in our starting 11.  However, more I think of it, the more I realize his skillset doesn't fit with the other CB's.

Vitoria-Miller: Good familiarity, Vitoria compensates for Miller's lack of aerial skill.  However both too slow and its a massive vulnerability.  And need to mention, Vitoria has just not looked good the past 12 months.

Cornelius-Miller: Balance each other out, but same foot.

Kennedy-Miller: Good balance, but same foot.

MacGraw-Miller: Just too slow

Bombito, JLK, LDF, Stef: a little too green but good potential.

It's unfortunate we haven't given them a chance to gel and were so loyal to Vitoria the past 12 months, but going on skillset, level and compatibility, I want to see Cornelius-MacGraw.

Edited by costarg

44 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt we win WCQ with these same MLS level guys??  I think we can challenge for top 3 with similar CB's, its definately not our strength, but having 3-4 solid MLS level starters isnt anything to sneeze at.  

1- That was when we still had a functional Vitoria.  Vitoria is not Vitoria anymore and we have not adapted. 

2- Only with a back 4.  We can compete with 2 MLS CB'S (or ideally Cornelius), but not when we put 3 MLS CB's, that just weakens the 11.

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So in March, do you see him on the bench or not at all in the squad?

I'll admit, he's still in my starting XI.

My point was purely hypothetical and in an ideal situation.  It's crazy, ridiculous and pretty stupid that we haven't already prepared for this, and yet, here we are.   Such an important match without a tested plan.  

I'd be worried going vs TnT with an untested combo at CB.  However I just can't see us doing the same thing when we know it's not working.

It's difficult.  I love the guy and what he has done, but I cringe every time a ball is lobbed over his head and he needs to draw a desperate foul/card to stop someone from blowing past him.  ALL our opponents are well aware of his limits, it's scary to see.  I just can't deal with that kind of stress at my age.

All things considered, we know he's a massive vulnerability and just doesn't have the legs for this challenge.  I'd go with something new that might work out and surprise us.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt we win WCQ with these same MLS level guys??  I think we can challenge for top 3 with similar CB's, its definately not our strength, but having 3-4 solid MLS level starters isnt anything to sneeze at.  

As @VinceAstated in another post, that was almost 2 yrs ago. The USA are much stronger now and we just lost out to Jamaica in a 2 game series. Understandably many are not bullish vs T&T. The talent gap btw our forwards/mids/WBs vs our CBs is huge. All we need is 1 top 5 +/- league CB to pair with the other MLS level CB...preferably someone with pace.