Steven Vitória

Yohan

Just now, trc2014 said:

He is also a great leader on the pitch.  KJ highlighted how he calmed everyone down and got them focused after the first goal against CR. This is an important asset.

I believe it might have been that same goal that he waved to Canadian players on the bench to come and celebrate with the team on the field.  I loved seeing that.  There is definite sense of togetherness that we haven't seen in a very long time.  He did have one quite poor game in the Gold Cup (the game he gave a breakaway and could also be at fault for not tracking back on a goal).  I would still go with him as the Center of a back 3 or the RCB in a back 4.  I mentioned before that given his age, this is likely his last run with Canada.  In Qatar, he will be a month away from his 36th birthday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a yellow card during his previous match. I believe he will be suspended and not face Paços and Stephen since it was his 5th of the season: 

https://www.ligaportugal.pt/pt/liga/estatisticas/jogadores/cartoes/20212022/ligaportugalbwin

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

It has to be said that Vitoria was great yesterday. He has come a long way and has definitely earned a starting CB spot for Canada. His ability in the air is a bonus.

Agree.  He is dominant in the air and is incredibly consistent.   Pairing him up with faster defensive partners mitigates his one big downside.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I'm not sure what Herdman's plans are for him because he is a bit older and a match in those conditions probably takes quite a toll but given it is a two match window I would hope he is up to the start Tuesday, if not Henry played well vs Mexico last time IIRC and might be up for a cold snowy night in Edmonton!

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Would like to see him in that box  position for Canada corners/free kicks vs way wide of the box trying to head the ball back in.

Agreed.  He has a great direct header that could generate chances.   While knocking it back into the box from the far side might work sometimes, it seems like this may be a higher percentage option.  

26 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Would like to see him in that box  position for Canada corners/free kicks vs way wide of the box trying to head the ball back in.

He created our second goal vs. Mexico that way. As he was a threat vs them in Azteca they were focusing on him wide, which led their defender to pull all our other players on side and an easy tap-in for Larin.

27 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

True, but him being wide on that last Larin goal, kept everyone onside (as his marker, Edson, was well below their defensive line). And that sort of distraction also benefited the play. 

He was also in the deeper position on the David goal vs. CR that the keeper spilled. It is not a bad tactical idea, you insist on it. The rivals try to adjust to it. Then, as you say, you can mix it up and put him in the middle of the mix if the rival catches on.

As I mentioned in another thread, as much as people have been dumping on our set pieces and whichever coach is directly responsible, we have scored 3 non-pk set piece goals in the 8 octagonal matches to date (4 if you count David vs Costa Rica which came on the second phase of a set piece), which I'm sure is well ahead of any of our rivals. There's room from improvement, but tough to argue with results!

(In other words, what we're doing with Vitoria on set pieces seems to be working).

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

As I mentioned in another thread, as much as people have been dumping on our set pieces and whichever coach is directly responsible, we have scored 3 non-pk set piece goals in the 8 octagonal matches to date (4 if you count David vs Costa Rica which came on the second phase of a set piece), which I'm sure is well ahead of any of our rivals. There's room from improvement, but tough to argue with results!

(In other words, what we're doing with Vitoria on set pieces seems to be working).

Only way to determine effectiveness of conversion rates vs other 7 is to have comparative stats. Corners are disclosed. Don't know how many free kicks in danger areas we generate.  My comments are  just based on corners generated and whether delivery is good, scoring threat created & goals scored. A lot of our deliveries are poor (mostly Davies) and execution when the ball  gets to the box. As @Unnamed Trialistmentioned more variety on set pieces may help. Larin & Vitoria are both good.