Santiago Lopez

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, An Observer said:

As he has played in an official comp at youth level, does this mean he would have to file he one time switch in order to rep Mexico at any level? If so, I would guess he is fairly serious about repping Canada. 

This is the part I forgot about. He must be serious about playing for us because he risks ending his international career if he switches to Mexico.

Honestly though after learning he lived in Canada for 6 years it makes sense as to why he would commit to us - this isn’t just some Bircham tie, he is Canadian. With Canada he could legitimately have a shot at 2026 if things fall into place and even if they don’t he’s hopefully going to be at a high enough level to play u23s and for the men’s team in the future. 

If you think of it, if he starts paying even semi regularly, he could vault into 3 on the depth chart, and if he plays regularly and scores he could make a case against Larin.

While we have some striker depth, there’s a drop after #2 and another at 3 and then it keeps dropping. I would even argue right now there’s no clear cut 3 and I mean Larin will be pushing 30 soon so… and I mean what do we have in the way of striker prospects ?

38 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

If you think of it, if he starts paying even semi regularly, he could vault into 3 on the depth chart, and if he plays regularly and scores he could make a case against Larin.

While we have some striker depth, there’s a drop after #2 and another at 3 and then it keeps dropping. I would even argue right now there’s no clear cut 3 and I mean Larin will be pushing 30 soon so… and I mean what do we have in the way of striker prospects ?

We actually have a ton of striker options. 

After cav and larin retire we have David Ugbo, JRR, Brym, Millar, Colyn, Bair, ayo, enin, 
With some prospects in: Promise, KSB, diallo, morgan, kerr, jebbison, lopez, oluwaseyi, afrifra, pepple, pacius, michel, vilsaint

Obviously my list varies wildly in quality and liklihood of success but we have larin for 4ish years still. 

David, ugbo, Brym, JRR Bair for 8-10 years. Then some out of position guys like millar, colyn etc. 

So theres plenty of time for the prospects to develop and for us to get more prospects in the system. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is the part I forgot about. He must be serious about playing for us because he risks ending his international career if he switches to Mexico.

Honestly though after learning he lived in Canada for 6 years it makes sense as to why he would commit to us - this isn’t just some Bircham tie, he is Canadian. With Canada he could legitimately have a shot at 2026 if things fall into place and even if they don’t he’s hopefully going to be at a high enough level to play u23s and for the men’s team in the future. 

I wouldn't say it makes sense for him to commit to Canada.  I'd say it makes sense for both he and Canada to show interest in each other at this point.

Always glad to add another name to the potential talent pool.  And he seemingly shows promise but let's see what he can do over a longer period of time before he's anointed our #3 option. 

https://www.somospumas.com.mx/noticias-de-pumas/mientras-santiago-lopez-brillo-en-canada-la-mala-noticia-que-tiene-en-pumas-20240227-8258.html

This article paints a slightly grim view for Lopez' minutes this season. Funes Mori is expected to eat up most minutes and they have a loanee name Ali Avila who apparently is contractually obligated to receive at least 25% of minutes available. Not to mention the other attacking options on the team.

However the article does note Pumas as a whole like Santi.

Edited by VinceA

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

https://www.somospumas.com.mx/noticias-de-pumas/mientras-santiago-lopez-brillo-en-canada-la-mala-noticia-que-tiene-en-pumas-20240227-8258.html

This article paints a slightly grim view for Lopez' minutes this season. Funes Mori is expected to eat up most minutes and they have a loanee name Ali Avila who apparently is contractually obligated to receive at least 25% of minutes available. Not to mention the other attacking options on the team.

However the article does note Pumas as a whole like Santi.

Maybe a loan to a CPL side isn’t out of the question then. That or a 2nd division Mexican team seem most realistic given his age and experience. 

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Maybe a loan to a CPL side isn’t out of the question then. That or a 2nd division Mexican team seem most realistic given his age and experience. 

I am all for CPL being a solid home for Canadians, but I can't help but wonder if staying in the Mexican pyramid is the best for him. I would personally like to see more of our players tested in Mexico, be it the first or second division. It sounds like he's already gotten first team minutes also, so as long as that continues he's in a great spot developmentally. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I am all for CPL being a solid home for Canadians, but I can't help but wonder if staying in the Mexican pyramid is the best for him. I would personally like to see more of our players tested in Mexico, be it the first or second division. It sounds like he's already gotten first team minutes also, so as long as that continues he's in a great spot developmentally. 

Liga MX is a pretty good league to play in  I think it is wise for him to stay put

Looks like in every game he wasn't with Canada, he made the bench. 6 total games on the 21 man bench and in 2 of those games, he saw very limited playing time. Which including 6 crucial minutes in a 2-2 tied game. You have to give it six months before the idea of a loan even happens.

This is nothing like the Lucas Dias or Jesse Costa situations.

It's exciting to see a prospect come out of nowhere but I fully expect Mexico to try to cap tie him within a year.  If he shows any promise and Canada is interested

Edited by blueseeka

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

CPL is exactly where a young Canadian player in need of minutes should go

And to that I would say Lopez is not in need of minutes...yet. How old is he? 18? 19? He's making the bench and has seen the field. If he goes back to Pumas now and can't get off the bench and a year passes by and he hasn't seen the field, then maybe we have that convo.