Next CanMNT manager (Herdman to TFC)

Atlantic

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

I'm not that keen on Marsch. I think he is incredibly overrated. 

Not knowing the budget, maybe he is the best bet. He has certain got a great experience, including domestic experience in Canadian football and top level in the PL and coaching in Europe. We also know he was desperate for the job in the past.

I think certain sections of support would turn quickly if we do badly against the states. The wind up from the states fans win or lose "well it's because you have an American coach" would be tiresome too. 

Still provided whomever it is does well no one will be complaining.

It's exciting news though and while I may have missed it (don't burst my bubble) the "no Canadians" comment, does that rule out Biello?? Say it's true. Also looks like we could very well have a new manager by early may. Lots of time to prep and get in contact with players etc.

I feel similar about Marsch, but at least he wouldn't be starting from zero. I think he'd do okay, communication would be good, he might actually have an idea about our roster. Other internationals may not.

I'm hopeful whoever is advising the CSA is not being a homer with Biello and hopefully not playing to their own advantage (future considerations and all that).

Why has there been so little talk about a number two guy like Holger Osieck.  Some guy who is behind a brilliant HC who is going nowhere and wants to get out of the shadow.  Why has there been no talk of that.  Is it because there are no candidates like that, there has to be some brilliant guy stuck behind some famous manager somewhere.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Why has there been so little talk about a number two guy like Holger Osieck.  Some guy who is behind a brilliant HC who is going nowhere and wants to get out of the shadow.  Why has there been no talk of that.  Is it because there are no candidates like that, there has to be some brilliant guy stuck behind some famous manager somewhere.

soc-mls-whitecaps-coach-20181107.jpg?h=1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:06 PM, costarg said:

Much of the tactical comments are debatable, but dead horse and all. 

Even if we want to give him a "fine" on the tactical side, the more concerning issue was the team morale and absence of "running through brick walls" we were seeing earlier.  That era had clearly passed.  That might explain the players dropping a level in quality, focus and intensity.

Herdman's last 10 were 4W 4L and 2D.  One could say we lost the matches we should have lost, but we also tied some matches we should have won.

Biello stands at 2 and 2.  We can also say expected results, cause we know Jamaica is a much improved team to what we saw in WCQ.  

So, I feel we haven't really fixed or improved anything with Biello.  We turned the page but have yet to see tactical win and morale hit new highs.

100%.

I agree that its time to move on from JH and biello.  My sentiment is that the tactical requirements for our next manager is a bit over stated. A minimum level is absolutely needed. Preferably higher than JH but we don't need a pep in order to be successful. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I feel similar about Marsch, but at least he wouldn't be starting from zero. I think he'd do okay, communication would be good, he might actually have an idea about our roster. 

Marsch barely has an idea about the USMNT roster 

7 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

If I was a betting man it seems like Jesse Marsch is most likely to get the job.

Its crazy I should be so picky given where we are at.

I've just never got much likeability from him in interviews. Maybe because he was a relegation rival manager at the time?? My gut just says he isn't the right fit as a personality though and someone inspiring. While it shouldn't, the US thing will be an issue for some on top. We and certainly the CSA don't need a divisive appointment, even if it's a minority that won't like it, that would just multiply with any negative results. They need a home run to continue the positivity. Imo.

As @Unnamed Trialist alluded to, there are definitely worse options and he wouldn't be starting from ground zero. 

Not many Leeds fans seem to have much nice to say about him but he was also not universally accepted following Biesla leaving. No doubts he would be a good step up from Biello. It would just feels like a potentially missed opportunity. 

If the rest of the 4 interviewed are people like Bob Bradley, Neil Lennon and Steve Bruce.. then welcome messiah Marsch, we greet you with open arms.

In our likely price range, Marsch was and is my choice.  

Has used an aggressive high press and counter press from the Ralf Rangnick school - like Klopp.  I think it suits what we have.  I also think he should have the experience and juice to get our players to play it, or any real system.

His time with good young players in Europe will serve him well. 

He does not quite have same type of players to play the formation he did at Leeds, so we will see there.  

To be honest, if you can communicate your message, nationality doesn't mean a lot to me. With apologies to those that it does. 

I will say he can't be over-reliant on Americans (unless we count David😉), which is one of the reasons Leeds fans didn't like him.    

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

If I was a betting man it seems like Jesse Marsch is most likely to get the job.

If that's the case then just keep Biello. Marsch has proven nothing in his career. I was so happy when he left Montreal in the middle of the night.

27 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

If that's the case then just keep Biello. Marsch has proven nothing in his career. I was so happy when he left Montreal in the middle of the night.

I would need more details.  He left by mutual consent at the end of a season, from my understanding. Hard for me to say that's leaving a team in the lurch, when they have the whole offseason to go a different way.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I mean, he's won a Supporters Shield, a couple Austrian Bundesligas, MLS Coach of the Year. If you consider that "nothing" then I'd be interested to hear what you think Biello has accomplished.

On 4/19/2024 at 4:04 PM, dyslexic nam said:

My concern with JH was never about preparation or tactical planning for a game.  He seemed pretty meticulous in that respect. The biggest piece for me - and an element that I think we truly need in a coach - is the ability to be flexible and make in-game adjustments.   That is an area where I never really saw John display strength.  We would occasionally make adjustments but it seemed pre-planned and sometimes even a bit tone-deaf to the ebb and flow of the actual game unfolding at the time.  

Kudos to him for ensuring we always went into a game with a clear plan.  But there have been numerous times where that plan was clearly not working the way we had hoped and I never really saw us respond and adjust in a way that stemmed the bleeding.   And especially in the international game, where single tournament or qualification games can have significant impacts, that is a pretty essential quality.   

Interesting thought. 

I think its important to disregard the gold cup as a lot of the subs seemed preplanned and thats fair if you use those games for scouting/development purposes with a B squad.

In WCQ specifically I felt herdman shifted some in game tactics/and formations. I remember hearing him screaming on the pitch to change things. He went 3-4-3 to 4-4-2 and so on. Bringing vitoria on in the nations league final also was a good change. 

I give him the benefit of the doubt as I dont remember WCQ in game changes being an issue. Would love to know which matches you recall as I find it interesting. (I'm also not saying JH was particularly good at in game management changes.)
I look at his bench options and don't think he could really make many tactical changes in a lot of games where we needed it. 

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Honestly, his biggest issue in Montreal was favoring the American guys too much.  Collen Warner and Davy Arnaud playing more than Bernier was crazy - but to be fair this is SSOOOOO common all over the world.  But my take on Marsch besides that he was great in several different ways.  I liked his game, system, approach with media, etc....

So if we remove the possibility of Americans playing too much, he might be a great fit!  Hey he might even help us with Aidan Morris and Koleosho!  But we might regret MacGraw.

Marsch ain't it for me man. 

He's been very fortunate to get his opportunities, and one thing I know in life is some people just need to be given one to propel their careers - whether they are good or not (deserve it). So when it's so limited for Canadian's in this industry, why does it have to be given to an American?

Just look at his history....Jesse inherited a good RedBulls team that went to the finals the previous season and the fans were fuming to Ali Curtis about why they fired Petke.

He was then fortunate that Ragnick took over all of Red Bull, and developed a relationship with Marsch and Armas. He would later join his coaching staff as an assistant at Leipzig. 

He then got moved to Salzburg to coach perennial league powerhouse RB (who have won the last 10 seasons), and unsurprisingly won the league. 

Ragnick then gave him his blessing to take over the head coach position of his 2nd place finished team in the German Bundesliga the previous season. In which he got sacked at the beginning of December. (Lasted half a season)

And then somehow, somehowww he was given the Leeds job in which he did no better than his predecessor but ultimately the team survived the drop. The next year he was exposed and sacked around the same time he was hired.

Now he's being interviewed to coach a team that has some of the best talent in Concacaf....F off.

I'll take a Canadian, or anything other than American. We are already considered as there little brothers, I don't want our team to feel "adopted" or "helped" by our American neighbours like shit always is...but it's only a one way street. 

TRUE PATRIOT LOVE!

Watching these Coaches Voice videos of Marsch actually calms my nerves about him as our coach. This one also highlights how impressively he's gone all in on learning new cultures and language while in Europe (dare I say the way Canadians like to think we would do) and the Germany experiences might even help him understand how to get the best out of Davies:

48 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Watching these Coaches Voice videos of Marsch actually calms my nerves about him as our coach. This one also highlights how impressively he's gone all in on learning new cultures and language while in Europe (dare I say the way Canadians like to think we would do) and the Germany experiences might even help him understand how to get the best out of Davies:

Begs the question...

... why not skip Marsch and hire Ralph Ragnick instead. His contract with Austria is up at the start of June I believe.