Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

On 1/2/2023 at 12:52 PM, SpursFlu said:

I really hope they don't invite teams out of the Americas

I'm still with this!
Whether 16 or 24....I want it to be teams only from the Con nations. 

Conembol can make those decisions when their tournament is played on their territory. 
I see President Victor putting his foot down, as this will be a precursor to the WC tournament, and will also allow other Concacaf nations to "prepare/test their metal" against better teams.

All this to say....the only "invited" teams are Mexico, Canada, and USA. 
Concacaf will ensure theirs some type of qualifying method for their teams.

50 minutes ago, Shway said:

I'm still with this!

Conembol can make those decisions when their tournament is played on their territory. 
I see President Victor putting his foot down, as this will be a precursor to the WC tournament, and will also allow other Concacaf nations to "prepare/test their metal" against better teams.

While this sounds good, it's probably not an ideal threat. CONNEMBOL can counter with "fine, we won't invite any of Can/Mex/US and we'll just hold it in South America the way we (almost) always do. Enjoy no real competitive games for 4 years."

A better method: Vic letting CONNEMBOL know that he has 30+ votes for the 2030 WC destination, and he might "appreciate" it if all 6 spots went to CONCACAF. 

3 hours ago, Shway said:

I'm still with this!

It's a CONMEBOL tournament, nobody else can put a foot down anywhere. They decide. It's been around for longer than the World Cup (which they also invented).

You really have no clue what Copa America is and couldn't care less, just admit it. 

7 hours ago, Shway said:

I'm still with this!

I guess its more profitable  to play the games in the USA . Which is a shame in a way. I am sure the average supporter in Buenos Aires, Montevideo , or Sao Paulo who looks forward to this  I am sure is not that thrilled . I would love to, see Canada play in places like La Bombonara, ETC . 

If prepping for the World Cup means Vancouver and the CSA are too shortsighted to spend the time and money to put grass down for a single previous tournament, I'll be bothered. Say the same about the other turf venues.

Watch how Toronto and Mexico get games but the well-oiled CSA-Vancouver connection comes up with some glib statement bowing out.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a CONMEBOL tournament, nobody else can put a foot down anywhere. They decide. It's been around for longer than the World Cup (which they also invented).

You really have no clue what Copa America is and couldn't care less, just admit it. 

Okay so clearly you didn’t read what I wrote, or it went over your comprehension. Because I know what that Copa America is. 

Yes it’s a Conembol tournament. But if they want the tournament played in the U$A, on Concacaf territory they will need the approval from the Concacaf president!

I don’t know if you listened to the interview from Prez Vic, but he stated just that. 

Now reread what I wrote understanding that, and understanding that I quoted someone who said they “I really hope they don't invite teams out of the Americas”…

or maybe it’s time for your midday nap. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If prepping for the World Cup means Vancouver and the CSA are too shortsighted to spend the time and money to put grass down for a single previous tournament, I'll be bothered. Say the same about the other turf venues.

Watch how Toronto and Mexico get games but the well-oiled CSA-Vancouver connection comes up with some glib statement bowing out.

I think it would be a good test to see how it would work, before testing it on the grandstage.

Whatever the CFL and the BC lions are planning to do during the tournament, can also be used as a trial run. Because there’s no way, that they could put a temporary surface down and have the BC lions play on it in between.

Oh yea….and as it pertains to where games are played, Toronto and Vancouver are not comparable for many reasons. 

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

While this sounds good, it's probably not an ideal threat. CONNEMBOL can counter with "fine, we won't invite any of Can/Mex/US and we'll just hold it in South America the way we (almost) always do. Enjoy no real competitive games for 4 years."

Remember this idea of the “return of the joint tournament” is solely because of the money that was earned. Conembol knows this, and Concacaf knows this as well.

As you stated, it’s mutually beneficial to both federations. Both have bargaining chips. 

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

A better method: Vic letting CONNEMBOL know that he has 30+ votes for the 2030 WC destination, and he might "appreciate" it if all 6 spots went to CONCACAF. 

You literally just found a nice way to put it lol. But do you think it’s that simple? I’m not sure, but does Concacaf typically have a unified vote? 6 teams getting in the tournament from 38 doesn’t scream guaranteed support from the “have nots” unless you know….money is trickling down. 

On 1/3/2023 at 5:17 PM, VinceA said:

I really want to see a 24 team Gold Cup but that's because I'm a sick fuck and want to see Puerto Rico and Montserrat battle it out.

This is why I want League B and League C in Nations League to have playoffs as well, not just League A. That would be better than having a non 2^x number of teams in the Gold Cup.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Califax said:

I honest to god thought it was based on this year and was big mad. Thanks for helping me regulate. 

Wonder if they'll time it with Euros so they don't overlap? Lotta soccer that summer. 

But wouldn't be real overlap, just maybe overload?
I have no issue with watching a game during the afternoon, and then watching a live game at night.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

But wouldn't be real overlap, just maybe overload?

They will likely overlap.

Women's Gold Cup in June in the USA as well, so I assume the Copa America will be in July.

EURO 2024 will be from June 14 to July 14.

They can schedule Group Stage matches in the evening so broadcast for both events don't overlap.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just started laying the foundation with my wife for a US trip in the summer of 2024.  I also put my name in for the Paris 2024 Summer Games draw which could theoretically conflict but that would probably be a prohibitively expensive trip so could easily get nixed even if we got selected.  A road trip to the US in the family wagon may be much more viable.  Plus I could go to a gun range for fun.