Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

I do find it strange that Canada us and Mex don’t have direct entry into Copas given we are future hosts and don’t go through qualifier.  

frankly the US hosting makes this process even more ridiculous 

The US doesn’t qualify directly. 
https://deadspin.com/usmnt-soccer-conmebol-concacaf-gold-cup-world-cup-uswnt-1850042506

https://www.si.com/soccer/2023/02/28/concacaf-nations-league-qualifyingcopa-america-world-cup-usmnt

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Of the 2 teams that respectively finish first in their group, likely the team with the best points/goal difference record.

To add, whatever 4 teams come out of that gauntlet are going to be a challenge. They'll likely be high on confidence and having played do-or-die games in September and October to qualify will be to their benefit. I am pumped we are going to get friendlies (hopefully some good ones), but they will obviously lack the intensity of qualifiers. I hope we can flip the switch when the time comes. 

I am thinking about how the teams who qualified from the early rounds of WCQ - Canada, Panama and El Salvador - outperformed the teams who didn't - Jamaica, Costa Rica, and Honduras. Each of those teams who pre-qualified underperformed and Costa Rica had to basically go on a miracle run in the second half and beat an already-qualified Canada just to make the WC. The other two teams who pre-qualified, Mexico and USA, were supposed to be a distant 1-2, but neither of them finished first. That's an underperformance.

Anyways, @reggietfc as for the teams we'd expect to play I think Panama, Jamaica, El Salvador or Honduras are the favourites, but teams like Curacao, Haiti or even Suriname could sneak in.

Assuming they don't, I would feel best getting El Salvador or Honduras.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Assuming they don't, I would feel best getting El Salvador or Honduras.

Me too. Not Just because of our recent results against them, but because I feel like they are both on the decline within Concacaf. 

All I know is I don’t want Jamaica, and that’s not personal.

3 hours ago, Shway said:

Me too. Not Just because of our recent results against them, but because I feel like they are both on the decline within Concacaf. 

All I know is I don’t want Jamaica, and that’s not personal.

I see it that way too.

Honduras in particular feels like a sinking and their GC group with Mexico, Haiti and Qatar could make it difficult to pull themselves out of it. Out of the 4 favourites I see to advance in NL, they could be the least likely, especially if they weren't able to gain momentum in the Gold Cup. We know how important a good Gold Cup run can be for your mojo heading into fall qualifiers.

El Salvador is a team I never fear. It's been a long time since they have really pushed us like they've pushed the USA and Mexico recently. 

Jamaica for me is the one to avoid, even more than Panama, although both could/would be difficult. Jamaica just has that dual national x-factor that scares me. They're athleticism and speed is always a factor. Just feels like the least comfortable team for us in my mind.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Jamaica for me is the one to avoid, even more than Panama, although both could/would be difficult. Jamaica just has that dual national x-factor that scares me. They're athleticism and speed is always a factor. Just feels like the least comfortable team for us in my mind.

I definitely think we see a stronger Jamaica come the Gold Cup. They may play a weakened USA in match day 1, due to the same issues we have with regard to injuries and squad rotation.

They've also filled some of their holes with Jon Russell looking really good in the middle, and roles/chemistry seems to be getting better. Plus the addition of Demarai Gray, and apparently paperwork is being worked on now for Reiss Nelson. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah even so let's say we get to Copa America, there is no B or C teams. Canada needs to bring their A team which means Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David, Cyle Larin, Borjan and others need to show up.

Well, I think Canada would want to do that, given the level of elite competition it offers as opposed to, say, this year's Gold Cup final rounds.  And the players would probably view it that way too...they are headed for a World Cup after all, and where else will they get to play the likes of squads of the quality of Argentina, Brazil, Columbia, Uruguay?  And even the lesser CONMEBOL teams, all of whom are excellent candidates for Canada to test themselves.

Don't worry.  The players will show up.  Even if they don't get paid. 😉

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah even so let's say we get to Copa America, there is no B or C teams. Canada needs to bring their A team which means Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David, Cyle Larin, Borjan and others need to show up.

It's the 2nd biggest tournament they can enter (and probably the 3rd biggest national tournament) so no chance Canada doesn't take an A team. Even if we had enough funding for high caliber friendlies, there's no substitute for tournament football. Honestly, it's one of the reasons I think Mexico and the US haven't raised their level of play over the decades: because they only really test themselves every 4 years at the WC and against each other.

3 hours ago, eramosat said:

Just noticed that somehow, Canada is up to #3 in CONCACAF Ranking Index.  Very helpful for Copa America qualifying surely.

We lost points overall, but CRC lost even more due to friendly losses to Guatemala and Ecuador and a GC loss to Panama. In that same time frame we have a PAN win, USA loss and GUD draw (the draw, by my calculations, lost us more than the USA loss).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shway said:

image.jpeg.7d2dc7252f88fee45920070534be2743.jpeg

I'm excited for this tournament.
I think we see a lot of changes from our World Cup squad.

Definitely plan on attending this, and I hope they make it easy to follow your team.

Wonder if TSN grabs the rights to it. They'll already have the Euro, so the two tournaments would be a lot of soccer. Still, Euro during the day and Copa at night could work.

31 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Wonder if TSN grabs the rights to it. They'll already have the Euro, so the two tournaments would be a lot of soccer. Still, Euro during the day and Copa at night could work.

They had the rights to the last one.

12 hours ago, Shway said:

image.jpeg.7d2dc7252f88fee45920070534be2743.jpeg

I'm excited for this tournament.
I think we see a lot of changes from our World Cup squad.

Definitely plan on attending this, and I hope they make it easy to follow your team.

Still surprised the three hosts aren’t given automatic entry to this.  We miss chances for other games so we really shouldn’t be excluded from this tourney.  Obviously same for US especially as host.  To be fair the tournament will make money in the US no matter what.  Especially with Mexico there…again is there any possible way Mexico would lose its quarter final?

7 hours ago, Ruud said:

I would argue this will be a better tournament to invest in tickets for than the WC!  Easier to get tickets and arguable better quality games start to finish.  

The travel (and travel costs) will be less of pain in ass compared to the WC.   But suspect that we'll get scalped on the ticket prices and it wont be easier to get tickets for Copa .  If ticket prices for the GC is any indication,  you could be looking at having to fork out bundle and having to deal with the re-sale market.   

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

The travel (and travel costs) will be less of pain in ass compared to the WC.   But I have a funny feeling, we'll get scalped on the ticket prices and it wont be easier to get tickets for Copa .  If ticket prices for the GC is any indication,  you could be looking at having to fork out bundle and having to deal with the re-sale market.   

Tickets to the 2016 version were easy to get (at least for the games in Seattle). Ticket prices were ridiculous though.

Edited by Watchmen

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

It wont be easier to get tickets for Copa 

Assuming we qualify, it won't be easy to get tickets that involve any matches with the USA, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina.

I think the other matches will be accessible.

If they are double-headers perhaps less so.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Ticket prices were ridiculous though.

I think they will be ridiculous once again. Even for something like "Chile vs Canada"