Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

On 4/12/2024 at 3:09 PM, Obinna said:

I have watched enough of Charlie Davies to not be surprised. He always seems to be negative on Canada relative to Jimmy and Heath (not sure if he's still podcasting with them). He's talked about Canada teams he's faced in the past (as a player) and on one occassion he said (thinking back to his playing days) "These guys have nothing". 

That's a shit way to analyze the current strengths of a team. "They were crap when I played them 15 years ago so they must be the same now."

3 hours ago, RS said:

That's a shit way to analyze the current strengths of a team. "They were crap when I played them 15 years ago so they must be the same now."

When I say view I mean his general attitude and not his analysis. As an analyst he is fine. Charlie rightly gave us our due during and after our qualifying run and was a big fan of what we were doing under Herdman. He backed us to make noise at the World Cup, if I recall correctly.

BUT now that Herdman is gone I am not surprised to see him not give us the benefit of the doubt, let's put it that way. I think he was slow to warm up to us and quick to cool down, if that makes sense.

And to be fair we haven't helped our cause lately, but we have a big chance to turn it around this summer.

Edit - It's kind of like Craig Burley and his attitude towards the USMNT. It seems like (for whatever reason) the fanbase gets under his skin and that's reflected in his general attitude, but his actual analysis is spot on. 

Edited by Obinna

20 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I was watching the World Cup opening game of Italia 90  Argentina v Cameroon  on FIFA+ late last night  . First of all what a rough game it was , at the same time it was not boring either. As we know Cameroon pulled off the massive upset  at the the time the biggest upset in World Cup history . I was trying to draw comparisions between that team and what Canada is going through now. There confedration much like ours is was in shambles and ther team much like ours was trying to find its identity and had some okay results  prior to the tournament starting . I guess I am dreaming but 34  later I would love to see us come up with a massive result  against Argentina . Oh well a guy can dream I guess

I remember watching that game live and Cameroon's game plan was obvious. Foul Maradona every time he touches the ball! Hey, I guess it worked.

19 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I remember watching that game live and Cameroon's game plan was obvious. Foul Maradona every time he touches the ball! Hey, I guess it worked.

Bilardo knew they were agressive and dribblers,  he thought the french referee would stop the nasty tackling,  Cannigia and Balbo were kicked for fun.   

Good game they had 3 or 2 sent off

This isn't the priority for the Copa, but I started thinking about players who went to the World Cup and didn't see the field.  Wondering how many of them are a) in the Copa squad, and b) see the field this time.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying you go the whole "brotherhood" angle again.  But still, it would kind of suck to go to two major tournaments and not see the field and it can't be great for team harmony if that happens.

Not counting goalies (which admittedly is a bit trickier), I think Ugbo and Cornelius are likely to be at the Copa and see the field, Piette and Fraser are a maybe, and Waterman could easily be both not there and not play if he is.  Am I missing anyone?