Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

23 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I have become familiar with Swiss style through a couple of my nerdier interests - speedruns and chess. It is commonly used in other niche competitions but I don't recall a soccer competition (or mainstream sport) using it. It is a bit weird to wrap your head around at first, but once you do I think it makes some sense. The one thing that strikes me as weird is that they're doing a Swiss with only 6 teams -- usually this tournament format is for when you have a large number of competitors that can't all possibly play each other in a round robin, and when you don't want to use a grand prix/single KO format.

Typically you play a team with a similar record which means you don't know the pairings until all the matches for each round are done. Could make for some interesting logistical happenings, unless the games are spread apart pretty well.

Pretty sure UEFA Champions League is moving to something like this too. But its 18 team group with 10 matches

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

perhaps we now get a chance to play in friendlies that we apparently cannot afford. How wonderful. 

We cannot afford home friendlies.

Away matches are somewhat different if the other association helps pay to get us there.

I can imagine us playing friendlies in Europe in either September or October if we are in the CNL top 4 (but that is for another thread once the March 2023 CONCACAF Rankings are released).

3 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

The format for qualifying for the 2024 Copa America (and other competitions) has now been announced: https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-announces-formats-for-men-s-national-team-competitions-for-the-2023-2026-cycle/

Qualification for Canada will be a bit trickier than I'd like. It'll likely come down to a home-and-away matchup with a Central American team, with the possibility of a second home-and-away matchup if they lose the first one.

The second chance is a single game knockout at a neutral venue, not a second home and away. You actually had that further down in your post, just figured I’d point out this contradicting part in case it confused anyone.

13 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Are the venues known yet? Safe to assume it’ll just be the World Cup venues?

1) The venues are not known.

2)

Not necessarily as those venues are all massive stadiums.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

They may use some of the stadiums for the matches that will draw big crowds ( think Mexico matches ) but you can't cost effectively do that for the whole thing.

They may have other cities host OR have the MLS stadium in that particular urban area host the match instead of thr NFL stadium they will use for the World Cup.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

26 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Are the venues known yet? Safe to assume it’ll just be the World Cup venues?

Not all of them will have implemented grass for the summer of ‘24 I’m guessing, unless the NFL switches course in the next year or so and honours the NFLPA’s request to make every field grass. 

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Seriously, why the fuck can't these muppets just play four groups of four, with the top 2 in each group progressing to the quarterfinals? It's not fucking complicated.

Requires 10 match days when you add the QF and final 4 so there's not enough time. Also requires Mexico, USA, and ourselves for that matter to give up all available friendly dates to play the likes of Grenada and Cuba in an uncompetitive slog.  

The announced format is ugly but it generally works for everyone.  Top 4 play no dead rubbers and no sh!t opponents while giving space for high profile friendlies.  Mid level League A teams get competitive matches and a path to Copa America.  League B teams get the volume of 6 group games.  League C get 4 pub league matches where they won't get trashed.

Edit: This will also bring back the race for FIFA ranking point shenanigans we saw before the pandemic.  2026 final round of WCQ is now 3 groups of 4 played entirely in the fall of 2025 after the Gold Cup.  Seeding will be hugely important so teams will be jockeying for ranking points in league A with head to head match ups.   

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

8 hours ago, An Observer said:

Can’t wait to watch all of our high profile friendlies… 😳

In Panama the largest consortium is now GUNPCYACC, Grupos Unidos para el Canal y Amistosos con Canadá.

They set it up to monetize getting invited to friendlies they wouldn't have to play. And for other concerns related to the Canal.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

The current top 4 teams by CONCACAF ranking are Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, and Canada. So far in the current Nations League, Mexico tied Jamaica (6th), USA tied El Salvador (10th), Costa Rica lost to Panama (5th), and Canada lost to Honduras (8th). And that is just through 2 games for these 4 teams. These teams aren't too good for their opponents, even if they (at least USA and Mexico) are heavy favourites.

I don't like other teams being treated as some kind of pariah that the top teams (i.e. USA and Mexico) can't be seen with. If you want to get rid of 1 game windows, bring in the extra 4 teams but just have 4 groups of 4. If you would rather avoid USA and Mexico playing teams in that kind of 12 to 16 range, keep it at 3 team groups. The new format is complicated and insulting in my opinion.

On 2/28/2023 at 2:46 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is it end of March or the beginning of March? CONCACAF tends to publish these rankings on the first day of the month.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:12 PM, JamboAl said:

Ooh, beginning of March would be Mont Vic helping us CONCACAF at its best.

Beginning of the month it was!

The March 1 2023 CONCACAF rankings are out!

🤣🤣🤣

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

This means:

• We will play knockout qualifiers for the 2024 Copa America in November

• We will have no CNL matches for September and October. We can schedule (or not schedule) friendlies (funds permitting).

19 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

🤣🤣🤣

This means:

• We will have no CNL matches for September and October. We can schedule (or not schedule) friendlies (funds permitting).

Screw you Jack Warner. Now it's our time to mess with the rankings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 10:59 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

🤣🤣🤣

This means:

On 3/2/2023 at 11:20 AM, Watchmen said:

Screw you Jack Warner. Now it's our time to mess with the rankings.

CONCACAF edited the ranking date from March 1st to February 28th after their release!

🤣

So things aren't quite set yet as the "March 2023" CONCACAF rankings aren't out yet.

On 3/26/2023 at 1:56 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

CONCACAF edited the ranking date from March 1st to February 28th after their release!

🤣

So things aren't quite set yet as the "March 2023" CONCACAF rankings aren't out yet.

OK, I was still not convinced that those were going to be the rankings used. Then Wheeler said during the game against Curacao that they will use the rankings at the end of the month. With your discovery of their edit, I can finally get some closure on which rankings will be used.

Now if only they were more transparent on the ranking formula so we could tell if we have already clinched a top 4 ranking or not.

Thanks to RJB's comment I just looked over the qualification system again because I had totally forgotten. 2 groups of 6 with the top 2 in each group moving on to quarter finals where they meet the top 4 ranked teams. So presumably if we stay in the top 4 rankings we will either be 3rd or 4th, which means we would probably play a group winner? That's my assumption but maybe it's a straight up draw, with us being in the top pot with the other 3 teams in the top 4.