Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

5 hours ago, gigi riva said:

In all honesty I just to see Canada particapate in The Copa America , If we get some games to host, bonus .  But I just want Canada to compete with some harder competion.

Precisely this. Like, a month ago we were looking at no competitive games above Nations League and the Gold Cup until 2026 and now it looks like (fingers crossed) that not only will we play in Copa America but we will be co-hosts. Like, sure things aren't perfect and there is always a place for improvement but honestly, even if the worst fears of some in terms of the number of games we will have come true, this would still be a great development!

• 2 weeks later...

That's too bad for the CONCACAF teams like Honduras, Panama or El Salvador that may have been included. Big development opportunity seemingly vanishing with that news. I assume the 4th team will be Costa Rica. If the other two teams are Japan and Saudi, the tournament is arguably more competitive and a little more interesting with some AFC flavour sprinkled in. 

I don't think CONMEBOL will be inviting the Saudis.  Not when the Saudis are in the process of trying to buy the 2030 World Cup, a competition Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay/Chile bidding for the same competition.  I'm not saying there's not two non-CONCACAF spots up for grabs, just that I won't think it will be the Saudis.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think CONMEBOL will be inviting the Saudis.  Not when the Saudis are in the process of trying to buy the 2030 World Cup, a competition Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay/Chile bidding for the same competition.  I'm not saying there's not two non-CONCACAF spots up for grabs, just that I won't think it will be the Saudis.

FIFA would have to change it's regulation in order to allow Saudi Arabia to bid for hosting rights in 2030. By the current rules, the earliest another tournament can be hosted by an AFC country is 2034. The 2030 hosting will be between Europe, Africa, and South America.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's too bad for the CONCACAF teams like Honduras, Panama or El Salvador that may have been included. Big development opportunity seemingly vanishing with that news. I assume the 4th team will be Costa Rica. If the other two teams are Japan and Saudi, the tournament is arguably more competitive and a little more interesting with some AFC flavour sprinkled in. 

Screw those countries. 

5 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

FIFA would have to change it's regulation in order to allow Saudi Arabia to bid for hosting rights in 2030. By the current rules, the earliest another tournament can be hosted by an AFC country is 2034. The 2030 hosting will be between Europe, Africa, and South America.

Yes.  That's why Saudi Arabia is trying to skirt the rules by co-hosting with countries from Europe or Africa (Egypt & Greece, or Italy).

Edited by Watchmen

Agree with you guys that CONCACAF teams would be ideal. It worked great last time. I will always favour what strengthens our region. That said, money talks. If some teams from Asia are offering CONMEBOL an offer they cannot refuse, it is what it is. Depending on what teams we are talking about, the overall quality of the competition could/would improve. That's a possible silver lining.

I just wonder how much money a team like Qatar would have to offer to compensate for the missing Honduran or Salvadorian fans in the stadium? Colombia vs El Salvador for instance will pack any 60-80K stadium in the United States. Colombia vs Qatar? You may get 30-40K Colombians, but you're not get many Qatari fans - probably just a smattering of a few thousand at best. 

Saudi and Japan would probably draw better, but I don't think any Asian team would bring out the fans like El Salvador or Honduras.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, gigi riva said:

If they do bring a Asian nation other than Japan  I think it will be Qatar   after all Qatar Air are a major sponsor of Copa Libertores  and other South Americans tournaments 

It's kinda like when your mom made you let your annoying cousin tag along

Edited by SpursFlu

15 hours ago, gigi riva said:

If they do bring a Asian nation other than Japan  I think it will be Qatar   after all Qatar Air are a major sponsor of Copa Libertores  and other South Americans tournaments 

Now that the WC is over and their national team was humiliated on the world stage, do we think the government is going to continue to fund the football program? I don't mean they'll discontinue it, just that they might not fund it getting in to tournaments the way they did.

2024 Copa América - Wikipedia

There is an interesting list of teams rumored or interested in participating:

Rumored

• Canada
  • USA
  • Mexico
  • Costa Rica
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • French Guiana
  • Guyana
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama 
  • Suriname

Interested (apparently in talks)

• Japan
  • Australia
  • Qatar

The 3 South American CONCACAF teams are interesting. I wonder if they are pushing the South American angle when it comes to earning an invite? The rest of the CONCACAF teams are unsurprising, given they are largely the best of the rest not named Mexico-Canada-USA (the 3 most heavily linked teams to this tournament). The two oddities are Belize (for their inclusion) and T&T (for their exclusion - figured they should be pushing for this).

As for the AFC teams, no Saudi (apparently). Japan is a team we figured would be interested, but Australia is interesting. They could be a dark horse. How do we feel about their possible inclusion? I prefer it to Qatar, for instance. 

I still think the best scenario is the obvious 13 teams plus the next 6 Concacaf playing a 1 off rd to round out the 16

One big problem with 4 Concacaf and the 2 invites is 3 is obvious but how do you reasonably decide the 4th? You choose Costa Rica but how pissed are Honduras, Jamaica etc?

Edited by SpursFlu

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I still think the best scenario is the obvious 13 teams plus the next 6 Concacaf playing a 1 off rd to round out the 16

Next 4 technically, but I am with you. I want it to be a Copa America

Edit - Misread, I see what you're saying about the one-off qualifier. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

A 32-team tournament would be epic but also a little hilarious.

- The 10 CONMEBOL team

- 3 guest nations (likely from AFC)

- 19 CONCACAF teams ( including some non-FIFA teams like Martinique and Guyane Française )

If you wanted to go that way a 24 team wouldn't be outrageous. Especially if you're looking to invite a couple teams