Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

On 12/7/2022 at 7:55 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

A lot of political subtext to the Copa America answer.  Vic clearly irritated with national FAs trying to do an end run. 

I noted that he often likes to send carefully worded shots through subliminal message:

Montagliani quote:
"... The candidate cities for 2026 are all here as part of the observer program.   We 
need to now engage levels of government, that's always a little more difficult.  It doesn't 
matter what government or what country.  Ah well, actually I shouldn't say that.  Some countries 
they're the ones knocking on your door because they're footballing nations pure and pure. But 
we have had some discussions.....
"

I wonder who he could have been talking about? 😀  This was one of the criticisms we heard about Canada during city selection process, the lack of enthusiasm at the local levels.   Governments who tend to view this as solely through the prism of the economic windfall and civic profile boost instead on the actual appreciation of the event and the game itself.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

I noted that he often likes to send carefully worded shots through subliminal message:

Montagliani quote:
"... The candidate cities for 2026 are all here as part of the observer program.   We 
need to now engage levels of government, that's always a little more difficult.  It doesn't 
matter what government or what country.  Ah well, actually I shouldn't say that.  Some countries 
they're the ones knocking on your door because they're footballing nations pure and pure. But 
we have had some discussions.....
"

I wonder who he could have been talking about? 😀  This was one of the criticisms we heard about Canada during city selection process, the lack of enthusiasm at the local levels.   Governments who tend to view this as solely through the prism of the economic windfall and civic profile boost instead on the actual appreciation of the event and the game itself.

Honestly, that seem silly as a criticism because, well, that's the purpose of a governmental org isn't it? You look at the cost of something to the citizen body and try to determine if the gains, both tangible and intangible, are worth the costs. That's their job. If in some countries some level of governments (probably at the behest of their politicians who figure that doing so would be a vote getter) are willing to forgo this to one degree or another due to the love of the game of their constituents then that's their prerogative but not something that anyone has to emulate if they do not want it.

I love this game as much as anyone and I am absolutely looking forward to 2026 but honestly that come across as immensely entitled by Montagliani!

Edited by phil03

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

Honestly, that seem silly as a criticism because, well, that's the purpose of a governmental org isn't it? You look at the cost of something to the citizen body and try to determine if the gains, both tangible and intangible, are worth the costs. That's their job. If in some countries some level of governments (probably at the behest of their politicians who figure that doing so would be a vote getter) are willing to forgo this to one degree or another due to the love of the game of their constituents then that's their prerogative but not something that anyone has to emulate if they do not want it.

I love this game as much as anyone and I am absolutely looking forward to 2026 but honestly that come across as immensely entitled by Montagliani!

All true.  And I don't disagree with anything you said.   But I don't think that's what he is getting at.   I think that what he is getting at is the overall sense of enthusiasm is different in Canada compared to Mexico for example.  In the US, there was true excitement and a competitive process in trying to be a host city.    I dont think he is suggesting that they are necessarily looking at getting a blank cheque, although that might have something to do with it.   I think that what he is getting at is that our politicians are mostly baby boomers who didnt grow up with game..  In Canada, one city that pulled out cited costs (yes, that reinforces your point) but also didnt want to lose the F1 Grand Prix that year.   In other cases, we presented stadiums,  that probably shouldn't have been presented as stadiums for a WC.   In other cases, some cities even pulled out of the process before even having any idea what the costs would be.  In another city,  they have to repeat in their presentation that that are all in and yet were allowed a change the vocation of their stadium from soccer specific to to multipurpose.   

I dont think that mexican and US governements are any less willing to ask questions about costs.   

Edited by Free kick

Now I'm excited and I guess more ready for the 2026 FIFA World Cup to get started because not only will it go back to being a summer World Cup but also with it being here in Canada, USA, and Mexico we can not only prepare by taking part in Copa America in the next 2 years but if we have a good showing in Copa America or even win it, then it shows that Canada could be a threat in 2026.

According to this report, leaders from the USA and Canada are negotiating with Conmebol to be invited members of the Copa America 2024

Copa América 2024: ¿Cuándo y dónde se juega y qué equipos participarán? Fechas, posibles sedes y más | Sporting News Argentina

And in this new information, the president of Conmebol indicates that there are constant conversations to hold the 2024 Copa America in the US and that in the coming days they will make the official announcement.

CONMEBOL: Copa América en EEUU es viable; se define pronto - San Diego Union-Tribune en Español (sandiegouniontribune.com)

On 12/7/2022 at 8:34 PM, Ansem said:

I'd be shocked if it isn't in the US. For once, it's good practice for them as they'll be hosting top teams in 2026 - might as well get use to this in 2024 Copa America

We only have two cities hosting the 2026 World Cup in Canada , Vancouver and Toronto , if the Copa America does come to the US in 2024 I think the CSA should try and get Vancouver and Toronto to host some Copa America games as trial runs for 2026 and also build up the hype for 2026 . 

The people running the city of Vancouver and the province of BC are the biggest bunch of lamos. I'm sure the new mayor of Vancouver is probably a bit better to deal with. Would be cool if Vancouver was still be considered to hold the draw and whatever else was originally talked about

It will be interesting to see what cities will host Copa America. I can't see all 16 being involved. It's also will be interesting to see about the stadiums that are currently turf and whether they'll be considered and what they'll do about that

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The people running the city of Vancouver and the province of BC are the biggest bunch of lamos. I'm sure the new mayor of Vancouver is probably a bit better to deal with. Would be cool if Vancouver was still be considered to hold the draw and whatever else was originally talked about

It will be interesting to see what cities will host Copa America. I can't see all 16 being involved. It's also will be interesting to see about the stadiums that are currently turf and whether they'll be considered and what they'll do about that

I think the 2026 FIFA World Cup Final Draw they are going to host it in one of the American cities, either in Los Angeles or in New York

20 hours ago, gigi riva said:

hopefully TSN 

That was my first thought too, especially since they tend to get the major tournaments.  Then I realized they'd be covering the Euro at the same time.  I'm not sure if they'd want to do basically a full day of soccer programing.  Might be an opportunity for Sportsnet, but they might be too busy covering the Jays/the end of playoff hockey.

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

That was my first thought too, especially since they tend to get the major tournaments.  Then I realized they'd be covering the Euro at the same time.  I'm not sure if they'd want to do basically a full day of soccer programing.  Might be an opportunity for Sportsnet, but they might be too busy covering the Jays/the end of playoff hockey.

Better yet….how about OneSoccer!

Hopefully by that time the CRTC let’s them on the cable. 

I’m tired of Caldwell and Kilbane. The former BBC man can stay. But put
Jimmy or Edgar on. Or maybe Borjan by that time.

We need representation. 

10 minutes ago, Shway said:

We need representation. 

I like Caldwell and Kilbane, but I also think representation is important. That's why I loved seeing Tos on the panel this go around. De Guzman has grown by leaps and bounds as well. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

We need representation. 

I know people want it on OneSoccer, but even if it's a cable channel it won't have the reach that the other two stations have. I'd rather this was another major tournament easily accessible to the majority.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Then I guess One SOCCER . 

5 hours ago, Shway said:

We need representation. 

Rather not have Copa America on OneSoccer especially if Canada is going to be in it. I would rather it be on TSN.

On 12/14/2022 at 2:16 AM, gigi riva said:

Ill bet you Las Vegas they will have the draw

It'll bet you its Nashville.  It was almost confirmed.     I was following those stories leading up to the venue selection,  Nashville would have been in as host city were it not for a last minute decision that they made to build a new stadium for the NFL.    The reporting at the time ( from Grant Wahl and others who followed the process) was that they really wanted Nashville and hence would end up with a consolations prize of getting the draw.  Las Vegas pulled out of the bidding process very very early so I cant see them getting rewarded with the draw.   

Edited by Free kick

I know ppl want it on onesoccer. But that is a bad idea even if they are on cable by then. 

If you want the game to grow and not stay a niche sport you need to have it accessible to the largest possible audience. Having canada available on CTV is huge. I believe some if not all Canada games were on ctv and TSN. Most people can get that channel with a digital antena, as well as the basic package. 

I know oncesoccer had been there for the sport, but if you want this sport to grow and have money flow in to it and more people playing it, then you need to give maximum access. 1 to 4 million people aint going to tune in to onesoccer.