Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

They will likely overlap.

Women's Gold Cup in June in the USA as well, so I assume the Copa America will be in July.

EURO 2024 will be from June 14 to July 14.

They can schedule Group Stage matches in the evening so broadcast for both events don't overlap.

In 2016, The Centenario edition in the US started early on June 3rd.  The group stage was nearly done by the first kick of the Euro in France.  Evening kicks were standard to avoid conflicts.  It worked well.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

In 2016, The Centenario edition in the US started early on June 3rd.  The group stage was nearly done by the first kick of the Euro in France.  Evening kicks were standard to avoid conflicts.  It worked well.

Yes.  I recall there being a flurry of soccer matches with the daytime covered by the euro's and the night time covered by Copa America.   The only drawback to that was that the Euro's ended up monopolizing the Copa.  That's because when you invested two hours to watch from the euros earlier in the day,  you had gotten your daily fix of soccer and  you didn't have anymore motivation later in day to invest another two hours of your time in front of the screen for a Copa America match.    Therefore, by running the euros and Copa concurrently,  I found Copa America got lost and forgotten in the shuffle.   

Also,  It didnt help that there was noticeable difference in quality between matches from the two events (ie.: you tell that your typical/ random copa match was a slight step down in quality).   I am not sure, from a promotional viewpoint, that running the two events at the same time is a good for viewers in countries like Canada or the US.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

It worked well.

I think so too.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

The only drawback to that was that the Euro's ended up monopolizing the Copa.

If the Copa is in July it should be better this time because by the time we would get to the knockout stages of thr Copa the EUROs should be over. The Copa may also be playing matches on EURO rest days.

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wrong. It is the next edition of the CONCACAF Nations League that matters.

The 2023-24 edition.

Right, because as I said, "we risk qualifying". 

If you are not in the final four you are in the next four. 

Which means you are not a top seed in your group next time. You are forced to beat someone above you in the ranking of NL to qualify for Copa America.

Keeping ranking high and being a top seed next time around is conditioned on getting to the 2023 semis. 

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Right, because as I said, "we risk qualifying". 

If you are not in the final four you are in the next four. 

Which means you are not a top seed in your group next time. You are forced to beat someone above you in the ranking of NL to qualify for Copa America.

Keeping ranking high and being a top seed next time around is conditioned on getting to the 2023 semis. 

Pots are based on the CONCACAF ranking (different from the FIFA ranking). We finished 2nd to the US in the previous Nations League but still got into pot 1 for the current Nations League.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wrong. It is the next edition of the CONCACAF Nations League that matters.

The 2023-24 edition.

Worth noting that we can still finish bottom of the group, which would eliminate us from Copa since we wouldn't be in League A for the qualifying edition. Quickly off the top of my head, we finish bottom if we lose to Curacao and fail to beat Honduras. There are also scenarios where we would be in a tie breaker to see who is last.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Worth noting that we can still finish bottom of the group, which would eliminate us from Copa since we wouldn't be in League A for the qualifying edition. Quickly off the top of my head, we finish bottom if we lose to Curacao and fail to beat Honduras. There are also scenarios where we would be in a tie breaker to see who is last.

CONCACAF have not confirmed the format.

There may be a playoff path for the League B teams. But yes, obviously safer not to get relegated.

Maybe qualification will be group winners qualify. Runners up play Group B winners for the playoff spot.

Will be interesting how they format this because the way CNL is setup it’s not so cut and dry. Maybe they’ll use a modified Gold Cup qualification.

Edited by Shway

I hope they announce it before this Nations League finishes. If, hypothetically speaking Canada, USA, or Mexico get relegated, then after that it is announced that League B teams still have a path to the Copa America, it will look bad.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 12:55 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

CONCACAF have not confirmed the format.

There may be a playoff path for the League B teams. But yes, obviously safer not to get relegated.

The format for qualifying for the 2024 Copa America (and other competitions) has now been announced: https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-announces-formats-for-men-s-national-team-competitions-for-the-2023-2026-cycle/

Qualification for Canada will be a bit trickier than I'd like. It'll likely come down to a home-and-away matchup with a Central American team, with the possibility of a second single-game elimination match if they lose the quarterfinal.

-------

For the 2023/24 CONCACAF Nations League: League A: 16 national teams (Group Stage and Quarterfinals)

League A has been expanded to include 16 teams (up from 12), and a new quarterfinal round has been created. 

For Group Stage play, the 12 lowest ranked League A national teams (based on the Concacaf Rankings as of March 2023) will be split into two groups of six teams each and will play in a “Swiss style” league system, with each team playing a total of four games (two at home and two away). 

After Group Stage play, each group’s first and second-place finishers (four teams in total) will advance to the CNL quarterfinals, where they will join the four top-ranked League A national teams (based on the Concacaf Rankings as of March 2023). 

League A’s new Quarterfinal round will be played in a home-and-away format, with the aggregate score winners in each Quarterfinal matchup advancing to the CNL Finals. Specifically for the 2023/24 CNL, the Quarterfinal winners will qualify for the 2024 CONMEBOL Copa America. Further details are available below.

2024 CONMEBOL COPA AMERICA QUALIFICATION

In January 2023, CONMEBOL and Concacaf announced the signing of a strategic collaboration agreement to strengthen and develop football in both regions. This includes co-organizing the 2024 CONMEBOL Copa America in the United States and the participation of six Concacaf teams, as guests. 

The six Concacaf national teams that will participate in this important competition will be determined through the 2023/24 CNL, as follows:

• Four League A Quarterfinal winners: These home-and-away matchups will be played in November 2023 between the four top-ranked League A teams (based on Concacaf Rankings) and group winners and runners-up (four teams total) in the new, expanded League A Groups.
  • Two winners of a Concacaf Copa America Play-In: These single elimination matches will be played in March 2024, in a centralized venue, between the four League A losing Quarterfinalists. 
Edited by Treppy2
Changed "home-and-away" to "single-game elimination" match for the quarterfinal losers

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

The weird thing is they are making groups of 6 but only having those teams play against 4 other teams.

That's weird, for sure. Maybe there's not enough dates available to play five matches. I wonder how they'll determine who each team doesn't play against.

I have become familiar with Swiss style through a couple of my nerdier interests - speedruns and chess. It is commonly used in other niche competitions but I don't recall a soccer competition (or mainstream sport) using it. It is a bit weird to wrap your head around at first, but once you do I think it makes some sense. The one thing that strikes me as weird is that they're doing a Swiss with only 6 teams -- usually this tournament format is for when you have a large number of competitors that can't all possibly play each other in a round robin, and when you don't want to use a grand prix/single KO format.

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

That's weird, for sure. Maybe there's not enough dates available to play five matches. I wonder how they'll determine who each team doesn't play against.

Typically you play a team with a similar record which means you don't know the pairings until all the matches for each round are done. Could make for some interesting logistical happenings, unless the games are spread apart pretty well.

So, nations league is more like nations cup, where the top teams get a buy into the knockouts? 

While the lower ranked A teams are playing in the group stage, perhaps we now get a chance to play in friendlies that we apparently cannot afford. How wonderful.