Canada and the 2024 Copa America

VinceA

If true, this would do several things.

The most obvious of these is that with a Gold Cups still scheduled to take place in 2023 and 2025 there is more incentive than ever before to have matches in a greater variety of urban areas including hosting matches outside the USA.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

This would be cool in terms of making some of these games more accessible to Canadians - but it is funny that the US frequently encounter challenges playing road games in hostile environments and yet they potentially continue to host more regional tournaments.  I get the economic argument - and presumably it is the most dominant consideration - but the idea of getting used to playing away matches in places like South America seems attractive from a competitive standpoint.   Maybe it isn’t a big deal since 2026 will all be whole games for them as well but at some point they need to go out to parties and stop just inviting people over.  

This is going to be very important for the program.  Being a host for the WC can be like a poisoned chalice,  yes you qualify autmatically but you dont get to play in any competitve matches which is going to hurt you. So how can you prepare properly for the WC without something like Copa?

Yes, you still need friendlies, but friendlies dont have the same significance anymore.  Your opponent will use them to experiment you you cant properly assess or evaluate when there is nothing on the line in those matches. 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No, but if the rumour that Ecuador is withdrawing their right to host is true, then it opens the way for a 16 team competition hosted in the USA.

This is looking very likely.

I think Ecuador withdrew a while ago, and just no new host had been selected yet.

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This would be cool in terms of making some of these games more accessible to Canadians - but it is funny that the US frequently encounter challenges playing road games in hostile environments and yet they potentially continue to host more regional tournaments.  I get the economic argument - and presumably it is the most dominant consideration - but the idea of getting used to playing away matches in places like South America seems attractive from a competitive standpoint.   Maybe it isn’t a big deal since 2026 will all be whole games for them as well but at some point they need to go out to parties and stop just inviting people over.  

Yeah, that's always the thing. The US seems eager to host all of these types of events (it was one of the sticking points on the original joint-Copa discussions) but I think it sets the team back and I'm surprised they've never really realized it. Playing better competition is one thing (and the US, Mexico and now Canada all need it), but playing competition in a more hostile environment is another.

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd be shocked if it isn't in the US. For once, it's good practice for them as they'll be hosting top teams in 2026 - might as well get use to this in 2024 Copa America

Yes, if there's one thing the US needs practice at it's hosting international events.

Edit: It won't happen, but the Copa should also be a joint event between Canada/US/Mexico. Now THAT would be good practice for 2026 and to see what kinks need to be ironed out.

Edited by Watchmen

Just now, Watchmen said:

Yes, if there's one thing the US needs practice at it's hosting international events.

The current US team specifically. How many current players we're at Centenario? 1 or 2?

They rarely face this level of competition at home for a cup. That's what I meant 

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Edit: It won't happen, but the Copa should also be a joint event between Canada/US/Mexico. Now THAT would be good practice for 2026 and to see what kinks need to be ironed out.

lol why.....Canada only has a few games. Not much practice is needed. And the attitude shows when they consider hosting the tournament solely in the US as prep. 

Love it. Hoping for regional group stages so it's reasonable to go to a couple games

If they're smart they should do a play in for the final 3 spots. Give big draws like El Salvador a chance to play in

So take Concacaf 4-9 in a 1 off to settle the last 3 places in the tournament just prior to the group stage. They've done something similar for Gold Cup

Edited by SpursFlu

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Love it. Hoping for regional group stages so it's reasonable to go to a couple games

If they're smart they should do a play in for the final 3 spots. Give big draws like El Salvador a chance to play in

So take Concacaf 4-9 in a 1 off to settle the last 3 places in the tournament just prior to the group stage. They've done something similar for Gold Cup

They actually did something similar for the 2016 Copa America so I wouldn’t be surprised. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They actually did something similar for the 2016 Copa America so I wouldn’t be surprised. 

Yes the best finishers in the 2015 gold cup got spots, we missed out because we couldn’t score and Marcus Haber was 6 inches offside in the Costa Rica game at BMO

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Yes the best finishers in the 2015 gold cup got spots, we missed out because we couldn’t score and Marcus Haber was 6 inches offside in the Costa Rica game at BMO

But what I'm saying is as part of the actual tournament. So 3 days or within a week you have games for instance

Panama v Haiti

Honduras v El Salvador 

Jamaica v Costa Rica

Those could be the best games of the tournament. If it wasn't Conmebols tournament you could probably drop Bolivia and Venezuelan in tonthat group but they'll probably want to protect their teams

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

The other 3 countries that I would invite would be Jamaica, Costa Rica and Panama

Those are my choices as well.

El Salvador and Honduras though would bring in more fans than each of those teams, though. Plus you could argue they'd be just as competitive, more or less (with the exception of Costa Rica, who had a good WC).

If I were trying to balance team strength and potential revenue, I would probably go with Costa Rica, Panama, and El Salvador 

....sorry not sorry, honduras.

Finally, quick point on Jamaica. I bet they'd use the invite to bring more dual internationals from England on board. It kind of irks me how they rely on England so much, but I also want to see Jamaica be as strong as possible. If they can use that to get more English players in the door, some may stick around. Furthermore, the ones who are in the door will have a reason to keep showing up. For that reason I hope Jamaica get invited.