Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

14 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Makes sense to wear white especially if Belgium wear their red jerseys and wearing our black jerseys against Croatia I actually would love that and they can wear their traditional white and red checkered jersey and for Morocco if we wear our red jerseys, Morocco can wear their alternate jersey. I really like it.

That way, we can chant, "An Italian restaurant...an Italian restaurant...Did you steal your kits from...an Italian restaurant" to the tune of:  

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

^ I don't intend any disrespect at all to the relatively new poster above, but how is it that after all these years the nickname "The Pessimist" was unclaimed on a Canadian national team message board until June of 2022?

Because we're all realists.

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

^ I don't intend any disrespect at all to the relatively new poster above, but how is it that after all these years the nickname "The Pessimist" was unclaimed on a Canadian national team message board until June of 2022?

A true pessimist wouldn't survive in these parts. A healthy dose of optimism is required 

5 minutes ago, shortofbrillant said:

A true pessimist wouldn't survive in these parts. A healthy dose of optimism is required 

Yeah but then again we have to be realistic too at times too but Canada 🇨🇦 do have a chance against Belgium 🇧🇪 but it is up to them to do the job but if you look at Belgium in their quality on paper they do have the better team in almost every way possible but it comes down to Canada playing together as a team. But also that Belgian defense is slower and older but can Canada take advantage of that with their youth and speed? 

You have to think that getting at least two points in our first two games puts us in a good spot.  However, if Belgium's game against Croatia is meaningless for Belgium, then that could put us in a tough spot if we somehow need to leap frog or stay ahead of Croatia.

At the same time, we could easily go through the group stage with zero points.  But I'd still enjoy the ride.  :)

4 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

You have to think that getting at least two points in our first two games puts us in a good spot.  However, if Belgium's game against Croatia is meaningless for Belgium, then that could put us in a tough spot if we somehow need to leap frog or stay ahead of Croatia.

At the same time, we could easily go through the group stage with zero points.  But I'd still enjoy the ride.  :)

9 point window! Let's go!

16 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

Instead of counting points and different scenarios in my head, all I’m looking for is a W against Morocco and an upset against one of the other two. If we can do that, I think we’re in.

Why Ancelotti is supporting Canada at World Cup
Apollo Heyes football-italia.net November 23, 2022

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti surprised many when he confirmed that he’ll be supporting Canada at the World Cup in Qatar.

Italy’s disastrous playoff defeat to North Macedonia in the World Cup qualifiers earlier this year sealed the Azzurri’s fate and confirmed their absence from a second consecutive World Cup, forcing many in the Italian peninsula to look for another nation to support in Qatar.

One of the more popular choices has been Argentina due to the millions with Italian ancestry but others have been a little more creative.

When speaking to Rai Radio Uno back in April, Ancelotti confirmed which country he’d been supporting at the World Cup, explaining: “At the World Cup I will cheer for Canada, they have been absent for many years and it’s my second home. Then the president of the Canadian Federation is from Abruzzo, so everyone will cheer on Canada.”

He later suggested to Prime Video that he could even coach the Canadian national team one day.

“Yes, there could be a national team, but it’s too early now. Certainly not for this World Cup. The 2026 one, why not? It could happen. If it’s Canada, why not? I’d like that, of course. Canada has done very well.”

Ancelotti is married to Mariann Barrena McClay, a Canadian businesswoman, giving him another reason to support John Herdman’s squad.

Canada have a tall task ahead of them at the World Cup, being drawn into a group containing Belgium, Croatia and Morocco. An upset result over Belgium could be crucial in helping them progress to the knock-out stages.

14 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

When speaking to Rai Radio Uno back in April, Ancelotti confirmed which country he’d been supporting at the World Cup, explaining: “At the World Cup I will cheer for Canada, they have been absent for many years and it’s my second home. Then the president of the Canadian Federation is from Abruzzo, so everyone will cheer on Canada.”

He later suggested to Prime Video that he could even coach the Canadian national team one day.

“Yes, there could be a national team, but it’s too early now. Certainly not for this World Cup. The 2026 one, why not? It could happen. If it’s Canada, why not? I’d like that, of course. Canada has done very well.”

Ancelotti is married to Mariann Barrena McClay, a Canadian businesswoman, giving him another reason to support John Herdman’s squad.

Canada have a tall task ahead of them at the World Cup, being drawn into a group containing Belgium, Croatia and Morocco. An upset result over Belgium could be crucial in helping them progress to the knock-out stages.

Do we know who he's referring to when saying the President of the Canadian Federation is from Abruzzo. Surely it does not refer to Bontis? Is Montagliani from Abruzzo? It's not really a populous region of Italy, so interesting if so. My family is from there, and the only really notable Italian footballer from the region is Veratti.