Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

1 hour ago, Treppy2 said:

Front page of today's Ottawa Sun.

Sun.jpg

That would have been great if the first thing I saw hadn't been "Murders on the Rise" as I scrolled down the page.

Still, it's great to see the team getting the attention.  

To anyone who feels like answering:  What's the atmosphere like in various parts of the country?   Is the general public aware/interested?

19 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Do we know who he's referring to when saying the President of the Canadian Federation is from Abruzzo. Surely it does not refer to Bontis? Is Montagliani from Abruzzo? It's not really a populous region of Italy, so interesting if so. My family is from there, and the only really notable Italian footballer from the region is Veratti. 

Well, that's better than Molise where my family comes from.

31 minutes ago, Blue and White Army said:

Syllables don't quite match.

To the tune of Pet Shop Boys' "Go West": "Your shirt... is a tablecloth..."

I've heard that chant with all sorts of numbers of syllables, and this one works as long as you get the rhythm right.  You have to make 'restaurant' sort of into 'rest-rahnt,' but it works.   Compare it to the Luis Suarez chant:  "Your teeth are offside, your teeth are offsiiiiiiiide, Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside."  Five syllables in the third bit instead of seven.

I do like yours as well, though.

Edited by vancanman
To sound less abrasive

2 minutes ago, vancanman said:

They do, actually.  I've heard that chant with all sorts of numbers of syllables, and this one works as long as you get the rhythm right.  You have to make 'restaurant' sort of into 'rest-rahnt,' but it works.   Compare it to the Luis Suarez chant:  "Your teeth are offside, your teeth are offsiiiiiiiide, Luis Suarez, your teeth are offside."  Five syllables in the third bit instead of seven.

I do like yours as well, though.

You can jam whatever you want in, if you try hard enough.  "West Ham's (or managers' names when they are popular enough) Claret and Blue Army" taught me that a long time ago.  https://youtu.be/ZfsYdKP7o4k?t=10

But for Croatia - to go off the restaurant theme "Who's been bussing your kit tops"? - to Seven Nation Army 

It just occurred to me as a long suffering V watching We Can, that we are in the year 22 AD (after Davies). Or perhaps AAD for the kids today. I haven't workshoped this, but there's something there 😂

Anyway, this is the first day of the rest of our lives and I feel like nothing will be the same again. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

But for Croatia - to go off the restaurant theme "Who's been bussing your kit tops"? - to Seven Nation Army 

Kobe was such a fierce competitor that he actually learned Slovenian and Serbian so he could cuss out other players and get in their head. Hoping Borjan prepares his team similarly. I think we can really get in Modric’s head by having Alistair Johnston saying some truly foul shit to him in Croatian.

Edited by InglewoodJack