Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

5 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Pretty sure teams are only allowed two kits at the World Cup, not third jerseys. When Nike announced the World Cup kits they only showed our red and white kits

Teams have worn 3 kits in the past. Spain in 2014 is a notable example.

From the documentation I've seen, Canada is scheduled to wear white vs. Belgium, black vs. Croatia, and red vs. Morocco.

Edited by canadave

7 minutes ago, canadave said:

Teams have worn 3 kits in the past. Spain in 2014 is a notable example.

From the documentation I've seen, Canada is scheduled to wear white vs. Belgium, black vs. Croatia, and red vs. Morocco.

Just found this, so it looks like it. I had always assumed it was a "two kit max" FIFA rule. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the correction

18 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Just found this, so it looks like it. I had always assumed it was a "two kit max" FIFA rule. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the correction

Heck, 52 years ago England wore kits of three different colours (all sky blue vs Czechoslovakia, all white vs Romania and Brazil, then red shirts and socks with white shorts vs West Germany).  So I am surprised FIFA had a two kit rule:  too much of a lost revenue stream there.

1 hour ago, rydermike said:

Pretty sure teams are only allowed two kits at the World Cup, not third jerseys. When Nike announced the World Cup kits they only showed our red and white kits

Canada is using the excuse that Croatia's uniform will clash with our white or red so that they can use the black.

I was trying to figure out where this 3-hour pre-game show is being shown, which I can't find on my PVR or at Zap2it.com. After a deep dive through Bell's websites, it seems that the 2-hour "Canada Kickoff Game" is only on TSN5 at 11 AM (followed by the usual 1-hour pregame TSN feed).

TSN 1, 3, and 4 have the Germany/Japan game, TSN2 has canned programs, and CTV has something called "The VIew" ... perhaps that's the view from some a minaret in Qatar or something ...

Edited by nfitz

Can't believe we are one sleep away from watching us play in the world cup. Still remember being in high school watching Canada lose 8-1 in honduras and generally thinking that the dream is just not meant to be. It's honestly surreal to realize its happening tomorrow. 

I generally think this group is special and will shock the world. Just watching the snaps and clips of the team in Qatar, they seem so relaxed, in good spirits.. this group is special. 

I think we pull it off tomorrow (not bias or anything lol): I'll say 2-1 , goals by David and Eustaquio.

Can it be 2 pm ET yet??????????

Since we are all waiting for this game, mind if you guys answer my questions?  I am a newbie follower of men's soccer after all.  (Followed the women's for such longer.)  So please don't laugh if my questions seem stupid.

A lot of you guys don't think Larin should start, but has he not earned it by the number of goals he has scored?  What is your reasoning for not starting Canada's top scorer?

Also, I am confused by Alphonso.  In Munich he is a defender.  But some of you guys are putting him up front like a forward.  What exactly is his official position?

5 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Since we are all waiting for this game, mind if you guys answer my questions?  I am a newbie follower of men's soccer after all.  (Followed the women's for such longer.)  So please don't laugh if my questions seem stupid.

A lot of you guys don't think Larin should start, but has he not earned it by the number of goals he has scored?  What is your reasoning for not starting Canada's top scorer?

Also, I am confused by Alphonso.  In Munich he is a defender.  But some of you guys are putting him up front like a forward.  What exactly is his official position?

This is 100% me talking about woman's soccer.

7 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Good questions, if Larin doesn't start it is because Herdman wants more speed up from which means Buchanan most likely plays with David and Davies, I personally would prefer to see Davies playing LWB as he does with Bayern, in Herdman we must trust!

49 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Can't believe we are one sleep away from watching us play in the world cup. Still remember being in high school watching Canada lose 8-1 in honduras and generally thinking that the dream is just not meant to be. It's honestly surreal to realize its happening tomorrow. 

That 8-1 game, was one of my darkest moments in sports ever. Maybe even my life. We all believe they had a shot to make it that year. DeRo and Hutch were in their prime.

Even worse than Gretzky's overtime winner in 1993. Which we all know, even the Hans fans, the leafs would have won the cup that year.

8 minutes ago, Sinc_Tanc_Olympic_Action said:

Regarding Larin, we need to pick the team that's going to give us the best chance to beat Belgium tomorrow. We can't pick the team as a reward for what's been done in the past. Besides, if we need a sentimental choice for the XI, then we have Atiba, who can slot into a position of need. Many of us think that other players give us a better chance for a result against Belgium, and Larin will definitely be a potent weapon off the bench if we need a goal.

Davies is probably a Top 5 LB in the world, but only a Top 25 LW. However, the guys in front of him at LW for Bayern are Top 5 or 10 in that position in the world. For Canada, he's more valuable further up the pitch, with Adekugbe behind him, than he would be at LB, with a worse LW in front of him. Simple. It give us a better chance to get a result with him playing further up the pitch.

1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

That 8-1 game, was one of my darkest moments in sports ever. Maybe even my life. We all believe they had a shot to make it that year. DeRo and Hutch were in their prime.

Even worse than Gretzky's overtime winner in 1993. Which we all know, even the Hans fans, the leafs would have won the cup that year.

Ah, the Laffs Delusion never disappoints. 🤣

3 minutes ago, gator said:

Good questions, if Larin doesn't start it is because Herdman wants more speed up from which means Buchanan most likely plays with David and Davies, I personally would prefer to see Davies playing LWB as he does with Bayern, in Herdman we must trust!

Phonzie can play wherever he likes 

I don't think they'll start Larin, they will want more high pressure from fast wingers, so Belgium will cough up the ball to David.