Match Thread: World Cup Group F - Matchday 1 - Belgium v Canada - November 23, 2022 - 10pm local time / 2pm ET / 11am PT

narduch

37 minutes ago, king1010 said:

fair enough. 

I think in order for Buchanan to start which I don't hate. You'd have to drop Davies to a LB and sit Adekugbe 

I know everyone says Davies is the world best LB but he sure the hell ain't the world's best LB at defending. And we will be doing a lot of defending and looking to hit on the break.. which Bayern never have to do

So I like Davies as a quick outlet or picking up scraps and counter attacking

19 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think in order for Buchanan to start which I don't hate. You'd have to drop Davies to a LB and sit Adekugbe 

I know everyone says Davies is the world best LB but he sure the hell ain't the world's best LB at defending. And we will be doing a lot of defending and looking to hit on the break.. which Bayern never have to do

So I like Davies as a quick outlet or picking up scraps and counter attacking

I think it’s far more likely buchanan plays as a rwb for hoilett compared to Davies as a lwb.  

take larin off and play David as the 9 with hoilett and Davies on either side. Offensively, Hoilett can also play as a 10 and Davies can roam.  

I think David can play as a 9 effectively.  I’d rather have buchanan on the field instead of larin any day. 

We need to minimize KDB's time on the ball otherwise he will shred us to pieces. Think JH will use the same tactics/set up v Mexico at Azteca. Press their D so they don't have time to build out from the back. It's risky but we need to play to our strengths. If we play defensively, we will give up free kicks in the final 3rd and its game over.

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I believe it's white tomorrow. Black v Croatia. Red v Morocco 

Makes sense to wear white especially if Belgium wear their red jerseys and wearing our black jerseys against Croatia I actually would love that and they can wear their traditional white and red checkered jersey and for Morocco if we wear our red jerseys, Morocco can wear their alternate jersey. I really like it.

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

We need to minimize KDB's time on the ball otherwise he will shred us to pieces. Think JH will use the same tactics/set up v Mexico at Azteca. Press their D so they don't have time to build out from the back. It's risky but we need to play to our strengths. If we play defensively, we will give up free kicks in the final 3rd and its game over.

Unless you use what Saudi Arabia did to Argentina and play similar tactics and park the bus against Belgium, create a wall out there and then catch Belgium on the counter I definitely would employ those tactics 

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

David

Davies       Eustaquio    Hutchinson   Buchanan

Adekugbe     Miller   Vitoria   Johnson   Laryea

Borjan

I get it, but I suspect this is too defensive-minded and will likely invite danger. I think we've got to play a bit more like the Saudis, to be honest. If we don't press, then it's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for the Square Waffle-Eaters. And, we need to limit service to DeBruyne, and that is tough if we don't have a packed midfield.  Tajon and Davies can get forward, with the three in the midfield getting forward when possible in support.

David

Davies  Hoillet   Eustaquio  Hutch  Buchanan

Adekugbe        Miller      Vittoria   Johnston

Borjan

Almost every lineup I have seen has at least 10 of the same names.

Borjan, Adekugbe, Miller, Vitoria, Johnston, Eustaquio, Hutchinson, David, Davies, and Buchanan. 

Unless there is a knock they should all be a given. The last spot is going to say alot about our formation and system. It is 1 of either Larin, Laryea, Hoilett, Osorio, or Kone.

44 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I get it, but I suspect this is too defensive-minded and will likely invite danger. I think we've got to play a bit more like the Saudis, to be honest. If we don't press, then it's going to be like shooting fish in a barrel for the Square Waffle-Eaters. And, we need to limit service to DeBruyne, and that is tough if we don't have a packed midfield.  Tajon and Davies can get forward, with the three in the midfield getting forward when possible in support.

David

Borjan

I 100% agree with the players you have. I disagree with the formation.  We have played all recent games with a back 3 so I don’t know why herdman would do that and then switch to a 4. 
My prediction - Buchanan drops in wingback  Davies David and hoilett up top.  

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I 100% agree with the players you have. I disagree with the formation.  We have played all recent games with a back 3 so I don’t know why herdman would do that and then switch to a 4. 

yeah, that might be what Herdman does, but i am not sure it is wise. I feel Miller needs some help on the left side, and I'd love to see Adegkube slot in there.  A couple of things to note: If we clog the middle of the pitch, that will likely force Belgium down the wings. Most of France's joy today came from their wing play.  Last WC, Belgium was down 2 goals to Japan, struggling to win the midfield, and so they started ripping down the wings. Lots of goals being scored with the head so far this WC.  I feel we might need two CBs with Sam and Alistair on the flanks.

But all will be known tomorrow morning, bright and early. 20.5 hours until kick off!

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

These formations are hardly as rigid as we all imagine them to be. Watch us without possession through much of WCQ and the shape often shifts to 4 at the back (usually Adekugbe tucking in at LB and shifting everyone to the right).

49 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

David

Borjan

As I see it, we will need to invite and cope with danger in order to find space on the counter.  The only way I'm comfortable with two at the back is if our third mid is a pure defensive mid like Piette.  

Remember, 5 at the back converts to a 3-4-3 when we have the ball.  3 at the back gives us a lot of tactical flexibility.

I struggled with not starting Hoilett.  He is so important to slowing the play when need be.  But, given that I believe we will be doing more defending than attacking tomorrow, I think we need Laryea's tenacity and physicality out there for this game.  Can't wait to see him get in someone's face tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, thehabsfan said:

I would go with:

David

Hoilett 

Davies  Eustaquio  Hutch  Buchanan

Adekugbe  Miller  Vitoria   Johnston

Borjan

I like this lineup except for Hoilett. I would replace him with Larin. We need someone on the forward line that can head the ball. I don't think heading is David's or Hoilett's strengths.