York United - 2023 Season Thread

• 2 weeks later...

New shirt sponsor! That's nice, even if it appears to be the non-alcoholic version of their beer. I hope that's not the only "beer" they sell at the stadium this year!

The jersey's look OK to me too, but I'm not a fashion guy so I will defer on if it's a success or not.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:24 AM, toontownman said:

Looks positive if true. Should be a sell out on opening day.

So the above screenshot is from a couple weeks ago. The below screenshot is from today. It looks like virtually the same set of tickets are still available, with a couple batches of more tickets available now. So unfortunately it looks like virtually no tickets have been sold in the last couple weeks, and there are potentially lots of unsold tickets not available for sale to try to show a scarcity of tickets. Hopefully I'm wrong and there is a great crowd around me on opening day.

image.png.a6e27668408bf2cc86a193f220149f3b.png

Result of the exhibition game between Toronto FC II (MLS NEXT Pro) and York United FC (CPL) held at the TFC Training Centre (inside the bubble) in Downsview at 7:45pm.  

38 min...York Kevin Dos Santos GOAL...York Osaze De Rosario from 15 yards on right hits the left post with his shot and a YU player has his shot stopped.  Dos Santos shoots 10 yard rebound past defender and fallen goalie Luca Gavran to right side of net.  

59 min...York Osaze De Rosario GOAL...York Paris Gee pass from 20 yard line from left has De Rosario one-touch low 8 yarder into right side of net past diving goalie.  

Final Score:...Toronto FC II........0........York United FC......2.......

Both teams wore un-numbered training shirts although I could see a small number on most of the York players under their right shoulder.  

Figured their starting line-up was 

...........................1 Niko Giantsopoulos

2 Paris Gee...3 Tass Mourdoukoutas...32 Brem Soumaoro...43 Lassana Faye 

late edit:   16 Max Ferrari...28 Jeremy Gagnon-Lapare...8 Elijah Adelkugbe 

10 Oussama Alou...24  Osaze De Rosario...11 Kevin Dos Santos

Right after the second goal both teams made multiple substitutions.  Matthew Baldisimo and Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy were the York ones I figured out.  64 minutes brought on Chris Campoli for injured Kevin Dos Santos.  Yes Campoli has been U-Sports drafted twice by York and the year in between by Halifax.  He still has one more year of university left!  I didn't notice if Mo Babouli was here.  Brian Wright was running on his own with the trainer's instructions during the pre-game warmup but was not in the game. 

I was surprised by the result as TFC II will start their regular season next weekend while York has one more month of pre-season.  TFC II used two MLS signed players that I recognized--forward Jordan Perruzza and defender Kobe Franklin. 

CPL roster contrast.  Halftime had TFC II warming up 13 subs and York had 7.  

I'll post more details maybe by tomorrow but unnumbered uniforms rule out a play by play. 

Edited by Rocket Robin
missed listing the midfield the first post

13 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Result of the exhibition game between Toronto FC II (MLS NEXT Pro) and York United FC (CPL) held at the TFC Training Centre (inside the bubble) in Downsview at 7:45pm.  

38 min...York Kevin Dos Santos GOAL...York Osaze De Rosario from 15 yards on right hits the left post with his shot and a YU player has his shot stopped.  Dos Santos shoots 10 yard rebound past defender and fallen goalie Luca Gavran to right side of net.  

59 min...York Osaze De Rosario GOAL...York Paris Gee pass from 20 yard line from left has De Rosario one-touch low 8 yarder into right side of net past diving goalie.  

Both teams wore un-numbered training shirts although I could see a small number on most of the York players under their right shoulder.  

Right after the second goal both teams made multiple substitutions.  Matthew Baldisimo and Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy were the York ones I figured out.  64 minutes brought on Chris Campoli for injured Kevin Dos Santos.  Yes Campoli has been U-Sports drafted twice by York and the year in between by Halifax.  He still has one more year of university left!  I didn't notice if Mo Babouli was here.  Brian Wright was running on his own with the trainer's instructions during the pre-game warmup but was not in the game. 

I was surprised by the result as TFC II will start their regular season next weekend while York has one more month of pre-season.  TFC II used two MLS signed players that I recognized--forward Jordan Perruzza and defender Kobe Franklin. 

I'll post more details maybe by tomorrow but unnumbered uniforms rule out a play by play. 

CPL squads remain unbeaten v Next Pro clubs this off season 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rocket Robin said:

All the audio from the York United FC Reveal Party on March 16th with pictures at: http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23york026.htm

Did they say how the ticketing will be handled for the Voyagers Cup double header on April 18th? Is it one ticker for both games, ticketmaster only show the York Vancouver game at 8 pm, no the 5 pm HFX Ottawa match yet. Looking forward to attending both.

8 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

The last I heard York had 21 under contract. Will they keep 2 spots open for the season and see if they can pick up anyone playing elsewhere.  Or will they sign the 2 U-Sports drafts? Personally I would keep it open and look for already proven players. York needs to have a winning season this year if they want to stay relevant in a congested sports city ( argos, rock, tfc, leafs, marlies, raptors, jays).

Edited by ATM

11 hours ago, narduch said:

CPL squads remain unbeaten v Next Pro clubs this off season 

I believe York lost to Houston's MLSNP team. 

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/watch-latest-preseason-outing-a-good-test-in-sizzling-houston-heat

They don't mention the score, but mention how Houston "re-took the lead" in the second half

On 3/20/2023 at 7:01 AM, ATM said:

The last I heard York had 21 under contract. Will they keep 2 spots open for the season and see if they can pick up anyone playing elsewhere.  Or will they sign the 2 U-Sports drafts? Personally I would keep it open and look for already proven players. York needs to have a winning season this year if they want to stay relevant in a congested sports city ( argos, rock, tfc, leafs, marlies, raptors, jays).

Being picky here, but the 'Toronto' Rock actually play in Hamilton now. Guess some Torontonians probably make the journey down though.

McNab sure likes taking punts...a sub at u19 level in germany who might only be ready to play in the second half of the season...meanwhile in germany kratt is barely playing so maybe he gets shipped back before july 1st...and with york players getting injured left and right in the last couple seasons they might need him asap