York United - 2023 Season Thread

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

McNab sure likes taking punts...a sub at u19 level in germany who might only be ready to play in the second half of the season...meanwhile in germany kratt is barely playing so maybe he gets shipped back before july 1st...and with york players getting injured left and right in the last couple seasons they might need him asap

How many players have York United Offically signed.

35 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

23 including Kratt who is on loan, so I spot open barring season ending injuries.

If they are at 23, they are done from the 2023 CPL rules....minimum 20 to a max of 23 players.

The Saturday March 25, 2023 pre-season game between CPL York United FC and L1O Simcoe County Rovers scheduled for 10:30am at the Ontario Soccer Centre was cancelled (actually about Monday) because York has about six players injured. 

A few details on my site. March 25, 2023...York United FC vs Simcoe County Rovers (by Rocket Robin) (rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com)

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

they have 23 players signed. 

Are there any players that anyone thinks York should have signed and realistically been able to go after.....or players you think they shouldnt have signed and resigned ?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

The moves dont stop for York...Canadian Noah Abatneh who was a Serie D backup this year signs a one year contract plus options

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/york-united-fc-announces-signing-of-canadian-defender-noah-abatneh

Happy to see this.

Italian lower leagues have been a dead end for Canadian players

2 minutes ago, zeelaw said:

York was bad for the first 65' but when the regulars came in, we were a totally different side. Saying that, our defense looks BAD.

I think Nash rested De Rosario for the cup game tmrw.

The kid with all the letters in his name seemed especially useless. 

Looking at the attendance, am I'm just wondering.

Why not Lamport, why wasn't it ever considered? It's in a gem of spot, and stadium built for soccer.

Here is a gallery of the stadium I took back in 2017 when I was walking around dreaming one day.

They are already competing with TFC regardless of how close they are. But it's the overall experience of going to an enjoy a game and being able to do shit either before or after. That option doesn't exist at York lions, it's get in and get out...a few minutes walk and you could wonder into an area where you shouldn't be after dark (iykyk.) 

If I was the owner, or able to make some serious decisions I would play at Lamport. Keep individual tickets around the same price they are today ($25) but add  5+ group packages. I would take a page out of Atlanta's United's book with providing cheap concessions - ($3 hot dogs, $2 water, $5 beers, $2 pops.) Profits would be marginal, but the experience will be improved, and I can guarantee you that attendance would increase.

Location, location, location. 

....Mind you, I don't think their project place at Woodbine is ideal either.

Edited by Shway

42 minutes ago, Shway said:

Looking at the attendance, am I'm just wondering.

Why not Lamport? It's in a gem of spot.

They are already competing with TFC regardless of how close they are. But it's the overall experience of going to an enjoy a game and being able to do shit either before or after. That option doesn't exist at York lions, it's get in and get out...a few minutes walk and you could wonder into an area where you shouldn't be after dark (iykyk.) 

If I was the owner, or able to make some serious decisions I would play at Lamport. Keep individual tickets around the same price they are today ($25) but add  5+ group packages. I would take a page out of Atlanta's United's book with providing cheap concessions - ($3 hot dogs, $2 water, $5 beers, $2 pops.) Profits would be marginal, but the experience will be improved, and I can guarantee you that attendance would increase.

Location, location, location. 

....Mind you, I don't think their project place at Woodbine is ideal either.

I wonder of there is a way to make Varsity work?

Also won't York need to rebrand once again if they do move to Woodbine? My suggestion is Toronto Racing FC :)

Edited by narduch

13 hours ago, ATM said:

We should have not sold Johnson and Write to NextPro....they were young talents that suited the CPL. They haven't played much in NextPro, and we all know they would have played a lot in CPL and help York United this season.

I always figure these guys want to move there.  What can you do...

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Why not Lamport, why wasn't it ever considered? It's in a gem of spot, and stadium built for soccer.

Doesn't Lamport have that domed-like field so its better for drainage?  I can't see any pro player wanting to play on there with that?

2 hours ago, zeelaw said:

Doesn't Lamport have that domed-like field so its better for drainage?  I can't see any pro player wanting to play on there with that?

News to me. It’s been played on professionally before.

Do you think it’s that “domed” to effect game play?

1 hour ago, Shway said:

News to me. It’s been played on professionally before.

Do you think it’s that “domed” to effect game play?

I could be totally wrong, I remember playing on it for a V's kickaround in like 2013.  I think it had that domed-drainage thing, maybe not anymore.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

The Ukrainian kid that looks like he's 14.

Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy

To be fair, he doesn't have every letter in his name. Although he does have exactly half! 13 unique letters in his first + last name. Not bad. Now I'm curious what names I've seen with more letters, but I have no way of figuring that out.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy

To be fair, he doesn't have every letter in his name. Although he does have exactly half! 13 unique letters in his first + last name. Not bad. Now I'm curious what names I've seen with more letters, but I have no way of figuring that out.

A computer science university student (I was one once) could whip up some code to figure this out in about 3 minutes, but they'd need access to a text database of player names.