York United - 2023 Season Thread

kratt is on loan so we can sign 3 more players. I think Grant will be signed/announced soon (I think they are waiting to see if he can make it through camp healthy and possibly cover at CB where it looked like he was playing vs Montreal). Esprit has a better shot than Campoli at making the team because he is still U21 so I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a usport contract. We also have a young LB Kyle Degelman in camp who is only 18 who could make the team. There is also 1 international slot available and Gabi Piatti was seen in Kevin Dos Santos IG story in his condo. 

On 2/11/2023 at 8:46 AM, ATM said:

You are probably right. It seems like all the CPL teams are scouting aggressively. They are looking at  Canadian and international players playing in foreign leagues outside of North America that already have experience playing in pro leagues.

Personally I am not a fan of a draft. This is a North American concept. And if you are going to have a draft you need to include college players, not only university. Many great players are going to college over university to learn actual professions. Unlike university players, which majority are in business or kinesiology.  I prefer the world system of developing players thru your own academy and the buying and selling of players. 

Call me old fashion. 

Yeah.  I talked to one of the L1O leading scorers from the previous year (before the pandemic) sitting in the stands at a L1O game who was had just graduated from college as an electrician.  Union membership...starting at $70K so no CPL team could compete with that kind of dough!  

3 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Yeah.  I talked to one of the L1O leading scorers from the previous year (before the pandemic) sitting in the stands at a L1O game who was had just graduated from college as an electrician.  Union membership...starting at $70K so no CPL team could compete with that kind of dough!  

And the key word in your comment....STARTING....do any CPL players make $70,000 ??

4 minutes ago, ATM said:

And the key word in your comment....STARTING....do any CPL players make $70,000 ??

Salary, probably not; total compensation, maybe. I don't think many are likely in it for the pay though. They're in it for the dream, because they love to play, and for the potential to move to a higher paying league

I am planning on securing tickets to the first couple games (season opener and the V Cup game) today, but I am skeptical about what ticketmaster is showing. I just checked the first 7 games (all games in April, May, and June) and all of them have no tickets available in sections 100, 300, 600, 700, and 900. That presumably means that some or all of those tickets are either sold out to season ticket holders, or are being held back to make tickets seem harder to get to drive interest. I guess it's kind of working because I wasn't in a rush yet to get tickets. Although it might mean I end up settling on getting a single ticket to each game instead of expanding a search to find someone to go with me.

3 hours ago, RS said:

The author of the Reddit post is known for extreme hyperbole so take it with a massive grain of salt. He used to post here as Luis Rancagua.

While your point still stands, the screenshot is from ticketmaster. I went on and checked. The next few games after are almost identical in tickets left 🤔. No idea if it's legit from a ticketmaster point of view though! I think Yorks social media would be jumping on it being (close to) a sellout, if it was. We will know of match day!

Edited by toontownman

I just tried buying single tickets to a couple games. I keep getting an error. Fun times. I guess I have more time to try to find someone to go with me since I can't actually buy tickets now anyways. Maybe they aren't letting me buy a single ticket, even when it is surrounded by already sold tickets.

29 minutes ago, ATM said:

A proven defender that will definitely strengthen the back field. Hopefully they sign another strong Defender. You win championships with defense.

Sir Alex Ferguson said something along those lines. I think it was "Goals win games, but defence wins championships". It makes sense that you are going to want a strong defence, especially when you remember what happened with the keepers towards the end of last season.