York United - 2023 Season Thread

28 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

With the first announcements of player movement for 2023, time to start the new thread.

1. Austin Ricci gets a contract extension through 2023 with a club option for 2024.

2. The club and Martin Graiciar mutually agree to terminate his contract.

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-austin-ricci-2023/

Really disappointing about Graiciar, a lot of hype around that signing and we won't even get one appearance out of it.

While Cabrera, Gutierrez, Hernandez and the Aussies down the stretch played fairly active roles in the squad I still think think the internationals were overall a bit disappointing. Obbekjaer barely lasted a month.

Ricci might be the like for like replacement for Graiciar. Depth at attacking was a struggle until the LLL and Babouli signings + Petrasso getting healthy. Will be interesting to see which of that aforementioned group returns.

Details of the York United FC 2022 End of Season Town Hall for SSH on Thurs Oct 13/2022. 62 minutes of audio from the Q&A including fan questions. Pretty upbeat. Playing U-21 players attracts other U-21 players ie Ronan Kratt. No to elevating the supporters stands.  Also question about progress of Woodbine Stadium site.    http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports22/22york243.htm  

Edited by Rocket Robin

19 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

With the first announcements of player movement for 2023, time to start the new thread.

1. Austin Ricci gets a contract extension through 2023 with a club option for 2024.

2. The club and Martin Graiciar mutually agree to terminate his contract.

https://northerntribune.ca/york-united-austin-ricci-2023/

They still have Tobias and Ariel at FCED on the books. Good amount of firepower on loan and re-unite with Paris Gee. 

There is absolutely no excuses for this team being located where a good majority of Canadian players are developed, not having consistently one of the best teams in this league. I’m sorry but this club needs to do much better and I think a lot has to do with putting the right people in the front office and coaching on the sidelines. For a team representing this  area a hotbed of Canadian soccer talent it’s been a shit show since the beginning no excuses for this .

Edited by SoccMan

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

There is absolutely no excuses for this team being located where a good majority of Canadian players are developed, not having consistently one of the best teams in this league. I’m sorry but this club needs to do much better and I think a lot has to do with putting the right people in the front office and coaching on the sidelines. For a team representing this  area a hotbed of Canadian soccer talent it’s been a shit show since the beginning no excuses for this .

It's the York Region Boys club. It's the who knows who's dad club....It's how york region soccer works.

Personally I think the Hotbed is Peel Region.....where you need to earn your spoke.

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

There is absolutely no excuses for this team being located where a good majority of Canadian players are developed, not having consistently one of the best teams in this league. 

I think the big issue with York United is the poor return on their International players, The best performances have been in the 2nd half of this season with their International recruits.    I think they have done a good job of developing young Canadian players.

51 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I just realized, I don't think I have ever had a Carlberg, time to try one😎, though my preference is wine!

Hopefully money is flowing in with this sponsorship.

I don't want to disparage the brand that's been a major sponsor at Liverpool for more than 30 years, but Carlsberg is terrible piss!

13 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't want to disparage the brand that's been a major sponsor at Liverpool for more than 30 years, but Carlsberg is terrible piss!

Ok, maybe I will take a pass on the piss, I guess I haven't missed anything, when I drink beer from Europe it is usually Heineken, otherwise I normally drink Canadian micro brewery beer.  90% a wine drinker.  I think I still owe some to @El Hombre 

6 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Ok, maybe I will take a pass on the piss, I guess I haven't missed anything, when I drink beer from Europe it is usually Heineken, otherwise I normally drink Canadian micro brewery beer.  90% a wine drinker.  I think I still owe some to @El Hombre 

Each country in Western Europe seems to have a big brand lager that they've sent out into the world.....Heineken (Netherlands), Stella (Belgium), Becks (Germany), Kronenbourg (France), Peroni (Italy), Carlsberg (Denmark). Of these, I'd say Carlsberg is the worst and Peroni would be the best. Stick to the local craft beers, though. You'll be better off.

18 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

York sent out emails for 2023 season tickets last week, 15 matches total. Prices range from $125-$550

Season tickets for $125?!? Is that comparable to last year or is it a drop? Great price and I hope that gets some asses in seats. Just advertise the hell out of it.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Carlsberg is definitely not what it used to be 25 years ago! Great news though!

So Carlsberg will be the jersey sponsor for York next year.

I wonder if they make a shameless red away kit lol

That was the only beer you could get at BMO Field for a number of years when TFC started. 

I remember it being shit. You had to drink it in 5 minutes on a hot day before it became intolerable

Just now, narduch said:

So Carlsberg will be the jersey sponsor for York next year.

I wonder if they make a shameless red away kit lol

That was the only beer you could get at BMO Field for a number of years when TFC started. 

I remember it being shit. You had to drink it in 5 minutes on a hot day before it became intolerable

Carlsberg's colour is green. There's an urban myth that Liverpool added the Shankly gates, in green, to their official badge for their centenary as a nod to Carlsberg, who had become the club's major sponsor a couple years earlier.

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

Carlsberg's colour is green. There's an urban myth that Liverpool added the Shankly gates, in green, to their official badge for their centenary as a nod to Carlsberg, who had become the club's major sponsor a couple years earlier.

Was thinking as sort of nostalgia for Liverpool fans

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Each country in Western Europe seems to have a big brand lager that they've sent out into the world.....Heineken (Netherlands), Stella (Belgium), Becks (Germany), Kronenbourg (France), Peroni (Italy), Carlsberg (Denmark). Of these, I'd say Carlsberg is the worst and Peroni would be the best. Stick to the local craft beers, though. You'll be better off.

You haven't tried Spain's Estrella Damm, horrible stuff. 

16 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Damn straight you do.  I prefer the kind made of grapes and comes in a box or a bag.  I find bottles too pretentious.

8 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

If this is old news then ignore but I hear York United will have an academy starting next season , some coaches for the different age groups have already been hired .

Heard about the Academy but the coach news is new. Some interesting names.

Oscar Cordon 

Roberto Stillo

David Velastegui