York United - 2023 Season Thread

On 2/7/2023 at 5:03 PM, Big_M said:

york could be a very good team this year...they have the experience and quality...up to nash to get it done now with the coaching

I'm trying to not get my hopes up. Last season I thought we could be quite good and it didn't turn out that way. We will see what this season holds. Whatever happens though, I'm excited for the season to start.

37 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm trying to not get my hopes up. Last season I thought we could be quite good and it didn't turn out that way. We will see what this season holds. Whatever happens though, I'm excited for the season to start.

Feels like the last 3 season. Fool my once... 

I think York and Halifax could be great this year if things gel for each team with the new players.

4 hours ago, Kent said:

York looked good towards the end of last season, especially once Mourdoukoutas and then Babouli arrived. 

9 hours ago, StillOnFire said:

York looked good towards the end of last season, especially once Mourdoukoutas and then Babouli arrived. 

Agreed. But it's tough to say if that will continue. What if Babouli gets hurt? Were some of their late season wins against teams out of the playoff picture that were lacking in motivation? All the teams are having some amount of roster turnover in the offseason, perhaps other teams new players work out better than ours?

So I'll wait and see. The seeing part is my favourite anyways :)

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Agreed. But it's tough to say if that will continue. What if Babouli gets hurt? Were some of their late season wins against teams out of the playoff picture that were lacking in motivation? All the teams are having some amount of roster turnover in the offseason, perhaps other teams new players work out better than ours?

So I'll wait and see. The seeing part is my favourite anyways :)

I'll be shocked and amazed if York doesn't do something positive this season. I loved having Babouli in Hamilton and he seemed very comfortable at York last season. Cant wait to see how it all goes. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:26 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

This brings the York roster to 20 (21 - Kratt on loan)  may not be looking good for the two draft picks.  Like the last time they drafted Campoli and by the time training camp opened they had signed the full roster of 23, therefore no room for him.

You are probably right. It seems like all the CPL teams are scouting aggressively. They are looking at  Canadian and international players playing in foreign leagues outside of North America that already have experience playing in pro leagues.

Personally I am not a fan of a draft. This is a North American concept. And if you are going to have a draft you need to include college players, not only university. Many great players are going to college over university to learn actual professions. Unlike university players, which majority are in business or kinesiology.  I prefer the world system of developing players thru your own academy and the buying and selling of players. 

Call me old fashion. 

1 hour ago, ATM said:

You are probably right. It seems like all the CPL teams are scouting aggressively. They are looking at  Canadian and international players playing in foreign leagues outside of North America that already have experience playing in pro leagues.

Personally I am not a fan of a draft. This is a North American concept. And if you are going to have a draft you need to include college players, not only university. Many great players are going to college over university to learn actual professions. Unlike university players, which majority are in business or kinesiology.  I prefer the world system of developing players thru your own academy and the buying and selling of players. 

Call me old fashion. 

Kinda have the same thing with UBC, University of Calgary, University of Alberta at one point 

Academy players develop and if they aren't ready for the first team football at 18. Can stay local and get games with the local uni and train witj the first team in the offseason. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at the CPL teams signing. Halifax has 1 spot available.  York is next with only 2 spits left. Who do you think the 2 spots will be given too. Assuming Coach Nash wants to use them yet. There is a minimum of 20 and a max of 23.

Edited by ATM

59 minutes ago, ATM said:

Just looked at the CPL teams signing. Halifax has 1 spot available.  York is next with only 2 spits left. Who do you think the 2 spots will be given too. Assuming Coach Nash wants to use them yet. There is a minimum of 20 and a max of 23.

With Kratt on loan that leaves 3 openings, I think Chris Campoli will get one spot.  

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Definitely need a little more CB depth. If there are 3 spots left (with kratts loan) a CB, backup LB and another winger should round things up nicely. Roster looks exciting in general.