York United - 2023 Season Thread

3 bright signings so far, although York have an awful record in general with bringing players in from Europe, so hopefuly Faye wont be another huge flop. Excited to see what Voyteskhovskyy can do at this level after a good year in L1O. York looked much brighter towards the end of last season, imo helped by the signing of Babouli (who is too good for CanPL) and hopefuly can build on that. Zator leaving is a huge blow at the back.

18 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Pretty neat he is their inaugural signing! 

Not sure how I feel about the tweet from York implying how MLS Next Pro is a great a stepping stone up from CPL. I guess it just says opportunity and it is a great direct route I guess. 

I feel there was a back and forth about this last year at this time between someone from the league and Farsi’s agent when he signed down south.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Pretty neat he is their inaugural signing! 

Not sure how I feel about the tweet from York implying how MLS Next Pro is a great a stepping stone up from CPL. I guess it just says opportunity and it is a great direct route I guess. 

It's a logical path if the goal is MLS and if they are willing to pay, that's good business. Otherwise, CPL has demonstrated that European league transfers are possible.

All depends on the player's goal and where they think their ceiling is.

8 minutes ago, P-O said:

Another Canadian to play in our league, and 1 more Canadian taking a spot in the USA.

Win-Win for everyone if York does indeed receive a fee.

I think I have asked this already, but cannot remember the response.  What is the pay in MLS Next Pro compared to CPL.

19 minutes ago, ATM said:

I think I have asked this already, but cannot remember the response.  What is the pay in MLS Next Pro compared to CPL.

There is not much information available on what they pay, I would expect on average it is lower then CPL, there is no minimum or maximum salary.   The highest paid would be Homegrown players on "loan" to the team with maybe a few prospects or a couple of veterans.  A lot of young academy players on the rosters.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

27 minutes ago, ATM said:

D3 Reserve/farm league for the American MLS, salary as follows :

MLS NEXT Pro roster guidelines:

• No salary cap
  • No limits on player compensation, with no minimum or maximum salary
  • Contracts will be executed with individual MLS NEXT Pro clubs
  • No age limits for players
  • Active roster comprised of up to 35 players
  • Roster slots 1-24 are for professional players
  • Roster slots 25-35 are for amateur player

3 hours ago, ATM said:

The numbers aren't published as far as I can tell.

That being said it's highly doubtful they are paying anything exorbitant.

My guess is it's not the pay that is drawing CPLers. It's the chance to be the next Farsi maybe

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It never will be published...how many years did we speculate on USL salaries..only to come to the conclusion is that they varied widely.  

Based on the other minor leagues in the US I doubt they are paying very well overall 

17 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's a logical path if the goal is MLS and if they are willing to pay, that's good business. Otherwise, CPL has demonstrated that European league transfers are possible.

All depends on the player's goal and where they think their ceiling is.

I agree it MIGHT lead to a look from an MLS team......But....the CPL I think could be a better League then MLS Next Pro. I also believe as you do, the CPL can offer these Canadian boys a chance in Europe. I think thats the goal of most players in CPL, a chance in Europe over MLS.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I agree it MIGHT lead to a look from an MLS team......But....the CPL I think could be a better League then MLS Next Pro. I also believe as you do, the CPL can offer these Canadian boys a chance in Europe. I think thats the goal of most players in CPL, a chance in Europe over MLS.

CPL is already better than MLS Next Pro - I don't doubt that one second and it will be more obvious this season with the cap being raised.

Players might have different ambitions, goals and/or awareness of their ceiling/short term capabilities. For sure most platers wants to go to Europe but the culture, lifestyle, seriousness is very different and we can't let the league/level fool us - it's a huge adjustment and step up. It might not be all players who think they'll just adapt like a Davies or Loturi (closer to home). A "Tristan Borges" situation is very possible and could lead to a possible step back.

MLS is a great stepping stone towards Europe for some players or a lifetime career in MLScould be desirable as well. So MLS Next Pro is the most logical move in that perspective.

Comes down to the player's choice and if they are willing to pay transfer fees, it's good business to sell with a resale clause if he does move up. Lateral / downward moves happens all the time in Europe, so I don't get why some people automatically jump at the conclusion that it makes CPL weaker than MLS Next Pro.

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^ You are going to have to explain this a bit, where did you find this?  Is this USL or NextPro??  

It’s from the USL Championship CBA.

They arent at the point of revealing how much each of their players get paid in a given year.

York United have a few decisions to make, Hernandez gone and Warschewski a probable.  A nice piece of work if these departures are bringing in some money, both players on club options.

16 roster spots taken, 17 if Campoli finally gets a roster spot, 4 International spots open, if Kratt leaves that would open up a spot.  (list from Northern Tribune Roster Tracker) https://northerntribune.ca/2023-cpl-roster-tracker/

Chrisnovic N'saOut-of-contract

DFFelix N'saNo changeClub option

DFWilliam WallaceNo changeClub option

MFAzriel GonzalezNo changeClub option

MFChristopher CampoliDraft selection

MFIsaiah JohnstonSold to Huntsville City FC

MFJordan WilsonNo changeClub option

MFMateo HernandezNo changeClub option

MFMichael PetrassoOut-of-contract

MFNoah VerhoevenNo changeClub option

DFRoger ThompsonNo changeClub option

MFSebastian GutierrezNo changeClub option