CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

2 hours ago, Shway said:

TBH I want all these countries to get their duals in. I want Jamaica to get all their English guys, Suriname & Curacao to get their Dutch guys, Haiti to get their French players, and DR... 

Stronger Concacaf means better football and a stronger Canada. 

Me too...but not until after we qualify for Copa America! 😉

10 minutes ago, Vasi said:

What are the chances they slash the prices of this game?  

Has there been any precedent for that?

Went to Ticketmaster and it looks bad. 

So basically back to the same old attendances for these kind of matches that we had always had . Moreover, if it’s not a meaningful World Cup qualifying type of game , these type of games will not generate any real interest apart from us die hards,  Canada qualifying for the World Cup it seems has not really improved the interest it seems for the national team unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

So basically back to the same old attendances for these kind of matches that we had always had . Moreover, if it’s not a meaningful World Cup qualifying type of game , these type of games will not generate any real interest apart from us die hards,  Canada qualifying for the World Cup it seems has not really improved the interest it seems for the national team unfortunately. 

So much for the World Cup bringing Canada to another level in the public eye. We either overestimated how transformative playing in the World Cup would be, or the players have simply undone all the momentum and good will they created with the Canadian public - take your pick. 

I personally hope this is one step back, two steps forward. It's such a shame where we are at, but I keep telling myself that forcing transparency on the CSA will be worth it. I also keep reminding myself that winning trumps participating. Had we gotten out of the group or even won a game, I bet the attendance would be higher, even with all the dysfunction we are witnessing. It may be hard to hear, but nobody likes a loser and just getting there only matters to the most hardcore fans - but there's simply not enough of us.

The boys need to win a trophy or two before the next World Cup, then we need to get out of our group on home soil. It's time to up the expectations. We need to in order to get the Canadian public on board again. Remember, it was finishing first that captured the imagination and raised expectations in the first place. 

My vote is the steady drip drip of self inflicted bad news being generated by our players and the CSA.  What turns off fans more than strikes, labor disputes and fights over money.  By the time this shit is over CSB will want out of their deal because they wont be getting 4mil out it, and the players will be fighting for CSA to make sure they keep CSBs yearly cheques just to keep the lights on. We've found a away to shoot ourselves in the foot for the upteempth time, right when we should have been on the crest of a wave of fan support.  

HELLS BELLS, we are the die hards and at this point i dont give a flying f#ck about the womens prep for their WC.  And the women are what brought me back into the fold after the men failed to capatilize on the 2000 gold cup win.  Watching SInclair and Kara Lang as teenagers was special, couldnt have been more proud of those teams.  But it seems like for both teams its all about greed and not the shirt anymore.  

7 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So basically back to the same old attendances for these kind of matches that we had always had...

Are you surprised by that? A lot of people only pay close attention to international soccer every two years during the Euros and World Cup finals. A Nations League game is a bit like expecting people to get excited about a preseason friendly.

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

My vote is the steady drip drip of self inflicted bad news being generated by our players and the CSA.  What turns off fans more than strikes, labor disputes and fights over money.  By the time this shit is over CSB will want out of their deal because they wont be getting 4mil out it, and the players will be fighting for CSA to make sure they keep CSBs yearly cheques just to keep the lights on. We've found a away to shoot ourselves in the foot for the upteempth time, right when we should have been on the crest of a wave of fan support.  

HELLS BELLS, we are the die hards and at this point i dont give a flying f#ck about the womens prep for their WC.  And the women are what brought me back into the fold after the men failed to capatilize on the 2000 gold cup win.  Watching SInclair and Kara Lang as teenagers was special, couldnt have been more proud of those teams.  But it seems like for both teams its all about greed and not the shirt anymore.  

Greed?  The shirt?  You sound like my grandfather.

This is the natural evolution of the NT's being at a higher level now.    

There is someone else who always talks about the pride for the shirt...hmmmm and he gets treated like the second coming around here.  Who could it be......hmmmm rhymes with birdman.  And if I sound like your grandfather, there is prob a reason for that, so if you want one of my hard candies you better fetch me my thick green lensed reading glasses so I can see what time this hearing is on today.  

Unfortunately the same old tired subjects and crying that got dragged in to the atmosphere before during and after has just completely ruined the vibe around the national team.

I actually think it might have been better if they didn't qualify for the World Cup. Then we wouldnt have heard any of this nonsense. The whole experience was just a let down on all fronts. I'm more focused on the CPL at the moment. It's feels more grassroots and uplifting rather that trying to drag people down

Edited by SpursFlu

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

So much for the World Cup bringing Canada to another level in the public eye. We either overestimated how transformative playing in the World Cup would be, or the players have simply undone all the momentum and good will they created with the Canadian public - take your pick. 

I pick a) overestimation.

Major events always bring out people who will be fans for that event and then disappear again.  It's a mistake to think the World Cup exposure will translate into attendance at local club matches the following year.

Think of other sports where this is true.  Does anyone check out their local speed skating, luge, rowing, or diving club after enjoying an Olympics?  Are the rugby stands packed after a Rugby World Cup?  Are NWHL games sold out after the women win a World Championship?

We only hope the World Cup will boost local soccer attendance despite the fact that it never actually has in the past.

25 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

There is someone else who always talks about the pride for the shirt...hmmmm and he gets treated like the second coming around here.  Who could it be......hmmmm rhymes with birdman.  And if I sound like your grandfather, there is prob a reason for that, so if you want one of my hard candies you better fetch me my thick green lensed reading glasses so I can see what time this hearing is on today.  

This constant bellyaching that the players need to do stuff out of the kindness of their heart is an antiquated notion. Players have driven the level up and should be adequately compensated.

And that belief has nothing to do with any fans not going to games. I’d say it’s more likely fans would stay away due to the lack of respect the CSA has shown it’s greatest asset- it’s national teams players. 

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

This constant bellyaching that the players need to do stuff out of the kindness of their heart is an antiquated notion. Players have driven the level up and should be adequately compensated.

Most people agree the players should be compensated; the question is what is adequate and fair?

Do the men and women get paid the same because they are both playing soccer for Canada?  Possibly, but then shouldn't our U23s etc. get the same, too?  They also represent Canada and why should it be okay to differentiate based on age (22 year olds are adults too, after all) but not gender?

Do the men and women get paid based on what they generate in terms of ticket sales and sponsorships?  Possibly, but then what responsibility is there through the CSA for all the other teams?  If the men earn millions for being at the World Cup but it all goes to those 27 players, who pays for all the U23, etc. teams?  Isn't that like the waitress earning $500 a night in tips while the cook and kitchen staff get minimum wage?

There are a lot of considerations and not one particular answer that is obviously correct.

12 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Most people agree the players should be compensated; the question is what is adequate and fair?

Do the men and women get paid the same because they are both playing soccer for Canada?  Possibly, but then shouldn't our U23s etc. get the same, too?  They also represent Canada and why should it be okay to differentiate based on age (22 year olds are adults too, after all) but not gender?

Do the men and women get paid based on what they generate in terms of ticket sales and sponsorships?  Possibly, but then what responsibility is there through the CSA for all the other teams?  If the men earn millions for being at the World Cup but it all goes to those 27 players, who pays for all the U23, etc. teams?  Isn't that like the waitress earning $500 a night in tips while the cook and kitchen staff get minimum wage?

There are a lot of considerations and not one particular answer that is obviously correct.

Agree it’s a complex issue but the players can ask for what they want. They as a group negotiate a deal between themselves and the CSA. Implying the players are greedy is a mis characterization and lazy. Acting like the CSA are the Sisters of the Poor when they haven’t engaged the players for a year to resolve these issues and still haven’t been transparent is damaging.  Shows how little respect they have for our national teams. And for some reason a few posters think the players are the ones driving fans from not going to the games?

Edited by Ottawafan

This is the thread about the Nations League.  If you want to discuss the dispute, please keep it to the other thread.  Some people may be trying to not have to read about it in two places; maybe even some of us are no longer interested in the circling back and forth onto the same arguments.  Have at it, but not here.

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This is the thread about the Nations League.  If you want to discuss the dispute, please keep it to the other thread.  Some people may be trying to not have to read about it in two places; maybe even some of us are no longer interested in the circling back and forth onto the same arguments.  Have at it, but not here.

Agreed. So let’s stop running down the players as a factor why fans aren’t showing up. 

3 hours ago, sose said:

have they been promoting the upcoming match against Honduras? I haven't seen any adds or much promotion. 

Yea, I’ve seen a few sponsored ads on Instagram. But it started maybe a week or  two ago.

Nothing on TV….because you know TSN.  No mention on CP24. 

13 hours ago, sose said:

have they been promoting the upcoming match against Honduras? I haven't seen any adds or much promotion. 

I've seen promotion on Facebook. Not sure if any of them were proper ads or if it was just Canada Soccer in my feed.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:04 PM, SoccMan said:

Canada qualifying for the World Cup it seems has not really improved the interest it seems for the national team unfortunately. 

Consistent play and winning can change that, but that will take awhile. Canada needs to start winning Gold Cups and the Nations League or at least make the finals in these tournament. Otherwise Canada will be a one hit wonder with make Qatar 2022. At this point Canada was every bit that pot 4 team that qualified. Making the Copa America Tournament change create fans, but also showing up and getting results is what Canada needs. Now keeping in mind these are things Canada could do ON THE FEILD to create buzz and excitement for new and diehards alike. Off the field is a different story, we all know what that crap show looks like.