CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

There’s been barely any advertising for this game as usual. Incompetence at its finest. Announce Davies will be there. Do something. 

I think if someone will only buy a ticket if they are told Davies will be there probably isn't going to buy that ticket a month in advance while there is still a decent chance he gets injured and misses the game.

11 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think if someone will only buy a ticket if they are told Davies will be there probably isn't going to buy that ticket a month in advance while there is still a decent chance he gets injured and misses the game.

My point is do something to market/sell the game. Davies is just an example. Nobody knows outside of the hardcores what nations league is. Of course there would be a drop off post World Cup but even with the negative press recently, which I don’t truly believe is as big of a factor in most cases, there’s still a great opportunity here to market this team and game 

1 hour ago, theaub said:

Maybe I underestimate the Davies advertising effect but I just...don't think there's a lot of people in Toronto who want to go to this, period.

Sure, there's the Toronto effect of competing sports etc, but I think the bigger issue is the average person/casual fan has no clue there's even a national team game happening... I mentioned it to a few people, all of who were suddenly interested in buying tickets once they learned about it

Also, I think we're entirely overestimating how many Canada Red +/- Black/Gold/White/(insert new more expensive tier here) memberships have actually been sold by Canada Soccer. Then we need to subtract the number of casuals who bought memberships just to secure Qatar tickets and probably won't use their access again until we have a marquee opponent for 2026 friendlies. Of the remaining memberships, I'd guess a significant percentage buy through the V's anyway. So it's unsurprising that after presale alone we haven't seen much movement in sales. I'd assume we'd see similar results in any city tbh, but sure we can just call it a Toronto thing.

9 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Sure, there's the Toronto effect of competing sports etc, but I think the bigger issue is the average person/casual fan has no clue there's even a national team game happening... I mentioned it to a few people, all of who were suddenly interested in buying tickets once they learned about it

Also, I think we're entirely overestimating how many Canada Red +/- Black/Gold/White/(insert new more expensive tier here) memberships have actually been sold by Canada Soccer. Then we need to subtract the number of casuals who bought memberships just to secure Qatar tickets and probably won't use their access again until we have a marquee opponent for 2026 friendlies. Of the remaining memberships, I'd guess a significant percentage buy through the V's anyway. So it's unsurprising that after presale alone we haven't seen much movement in sales. I'd assume we'd see similar results in any city tbh, but sure we can just call it a Toronto thing.

All of this is true. 

I hope the CSA starts advertising this game. It can sell out, but they need to push it. 

With these prices other cities would have issues as well, if not more. I believe the games in Edmonton were much cheaper, no? 

1 hour ago, theaub said:

Lower staffing and security costs as well.  Does the CSA even get a cut of concessions or does that go to the stadium operator?

Based on their past matches they have enough merch available for a crowd of 3,000 people so I don't know if that's a concern for them.

e: also if we're discussing the general concept here remember the below + the fact that the CSA hired a USSF consultant to "modernize" things (ie CanadaRED, R/W, R/G being a pure copy of the USSF Insider membership etc)

Thanks for sharing this. I’d assume that the CSA wouldn’t cover stadium staffing costs if they don’t get a cut of concessions. 

This is just garbage and don’t even get me started with Nike. We should be with a sponsor like Macron. How much a year is Nike paying to make this worth it? 

12 hours ago, Shway said:

It’s sad, because I would do it for free.

Just need to spam the shit out of social media, and pay for ad space. 

It's funny because digital marketing for an event that's inherently marketable (ie people want to watch CANMNT at home) is not a hard thing to do in any way, and there are currently probably 1,000 different capable freelancers in the country who would gladly do this for free, let alone the sea of more than capable digital marketers who could charge you market rate and still drive a positive return and get butts into the seats.

Hell, get voyageurs to go and staple flyers on construction site barriers or lamp posts. That shit still works.

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Who is our 3rd choice keeper for the March window?

Sirois if he starts and does well?

How long is Pantemis out for?

Funny how quick depth can dissappear. 

Hasal lost his starting job.

Crepeau is hurt.

Leutwiler has fallen off the face of the earth. 

Breza is in Serie C

Edited by narduch

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Sirois if he starts and does well?

How long is Pantemis out for?

Funny how quick depth can dissappear. 

Hasal lost his starting job.

Crepeau is hurt.

Leutwiler has fallen off the face of the earth. 

Breza is in Serie C

When is Crepeau expected back on the pitch?

14 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

This was the perfect opportunity to spread the games around again. Try Victoria.

High travel costs. Longer travel. Lower revenue.

7 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think as part of the the deal to build the stadium for the U-20 World Cup they were on the hook for a certain number of games in Toronto. Maybe that's expired by now though.

That deal no longer exists, but they do get a more profitable deal than what they get at B.C. place.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

41 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

This was the perfect opportunity to spread the games around again. Try Victoria.

Prices would have been the same. The cost is the issue. Its not a city thing.  

You would have the same issues in any city. 

The CSA is broke and dumb!

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Even if travel wasn’t a consideration (and it is a huge one), they would have to charge at least 4-5 times the price for a ticket because of the smaller capacity, meaning the lowest price ticket would be $140-175 (plus surcharges).