CONCACAF Nations League 2022/2023 - General Thread - Group Stage

58 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Congrats to Zator. 

However, I see this as a sign that we are  not going younger. He is 28. I rather give opportunities to younger guys in the MLS or CPL. I don't see him getting any playing time. 

I think Herdman is in win now mode with the GC coming up and USA not having a proper coach and Mexico's being new on the job.

Plus guys like Yao/Dunn haven't played much or at all in 2023.

Edited by VinceA

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, if Zator takes Vitorias spot, then we are significantly younger, so I guess its all in perspective.  And I wish people would quit including Johnston as a CB.  There is no way I would slot him in the middle for Vitoria or Henry and if we are running 4 in the back he would be RB, no brainer.  

Ok i see your point about Vitoria. I thought he is listed as a RB. And we have lots of those. 

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, if Zator takes Vitorias spot, then we are significantly younger, so I guess its all in perspective.  And I wish people would quit including Johnston as a CB.  There is no way I would slot him in the middle for Vitoria or Henry and if we are running 4 in the back he would be RB, no brainer.  

He plays RCB for Canada. That’s like saying I wish people would stop including Davies as a winger. 

Are you under the impression that 3 at the back = one CB? If we’re playing 4 at the back then clearly he’s a RB. 

If it makes it easier to swallow, I think our squad calls for 4 out and out CBs + Johnston (CB/RB). That gives us enough depth for a back 4 or 3/5. I expect us to go with 3 CBs away and 2 at home similar to our last WCQ window.

Edited by CanadaFan123

5 minutes ago, Vasi said:

...I rather give opportunities to younger guys in the MLS or CPL...

Such as? Is three MLS games in Hiebert's case really enough for a call up? Lucas MacNaughton didn't look like the answer towards the end of last season with TFC and isn't that young either so if Zator is starting regularly in the Polish top flight he's earned another shot at showing what he can do given this is arguably the weakest part of the roster in depth terms.

12 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Congrats to Zator. 

However, I see this as a sign that we are  not going younger. He is 28. I rather give opportunities to younger guys in the MLS or CPL. I don't see him getting any playing time. 

I am usually on the youth hype train but when it comes to CB, this is a guy who legitimately could be in the mix in 2026 at the age of 32.  With Vitoria aging out, Henry an almost permanent fixture in the physio office, and Kennedy definitely showing a tendency to get injured, we absolutely need to develop our CB depth beyond the few guys in the mix.   

23 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Congrats to Zator. 

Hard to say he won't get time until we get confirmation of who else gets called. IF there is no Vitoria or Waterman it boosts his chances significantly.

Waterman is playing now so I don't see why he wouldn't be called. Assuming he is, Zator would presumably be the backup to Waterman at RCB. That said, it's not like Waterman has a ton of minutes under his belt, nor does he have a wealth of experience with this group, so Zator could potentially earn a start ahead of him in a 3-5-2. Not predicting that necessarily, but it's certainly possibly given Zator's form. 

Now, all of that being said, I think Herdman will likely start with a back 4, with Laryea on the right, Vitoria and Miller in the center, and Adekugbe on the left:

Adekugbe--Miller--Vitoria--Laryea

Then, if we want or need to change to a back 3 (or if we start that way), then out comes Adekugbe and in comes Waterman or Zator:

Davies----------------------------Laryea

-----Miller--Vitoria--Waterman/Zator

It is interesting - this seems to be the first window in a long time where I haven’t heard constant chatter about grabbing some of the high profile dual nationals.   Sure Loturi has options and a bunch of people want him called but it seems way too early for him to be in a call-him-or-lose-him situation.  Plus he isn’t really one of the blue chip prospects we are usually salivating over.  

No lobbying for Jebbison, Koleosho, etc.   it’s just a bit odd.  

1 minute ago, gigi riva said:

I think Shaffs will be called up , his form has been awesome in Nashville,  Loturi has been in good form and of course Heibert . those three will be the new faces in Camp 

Think Petrasso has done enough? He's also been good for Orlando and has been playing Champions League. That's another name we may look out for, though we obviously cannot call everyone. Priso deserves a mention here too, but I think Gold Cup is more likely for him, so long as he keeps doing well with Colorado. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

It is interesting - this seems to be the first window in a long time where I haven’t heard constant chatter about grabbing some of the high profile dual nationals.   Sure Loturi has options and a bunch of people want him called but it seems way too early for him to be in a call-him-or-lose-him situation.  Plus he isn’t really one of the blue chip prospects we are usually salivating over.  

Yeah that's true. Perhaps it's because there are a number of new faces that could theoretically come in, hence the lack of focus on the Jebbos and Koleoshos. The overarching theme as fans is that we want new blood.

Late in the cycle, when things are settled, we know that only the biggest prospects have a chance of breaking in, so our attention turns to the likes of Jebbison or Koleosho, but now we are at the beginning, and there is a lot of low hanging fruit we can bring in, so that's where the focus goes? That's my best guess...

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

And a bit refreshing too

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Think Petrasso has done enough? He's also been good for Orlando and has been playing Champions League. That's another name we may look out for, though we obviously cannot call everyone. Priso deserves a mention here too, but I think Gold Cup is more likely for him, so long as he keeps doing well with Colorado. 

Petrasso ! good call, I forgot about him . Priso needs some more playing time in Colorado but look for him at Gold Cup time 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think he’ll need to start doing well with Colorado before he can keep doing well ;) 

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Peter Galindo just announced he’s going to be a player analyst for Canada soccer for the next window, and I’d like to congratulate Victor Loturi for his first CMNT call up!!

Sort of explains why his criticism of the CSA is always very muted.

Noted on his last podcast that he knew about Bontis calling Sinclair a whiner but couldn't report it

Edited by narduch

40 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think he’ll need to start doing well with Colorado before he can keep doing well ;) 

With Price back from injury now, if the other mids stay healthy, he's likely not to see significant minutes unless an injury bug hits.  They are very high on Bassett and new Irish signing Ronan.  Priso was an unused sub in the last game.  

Edited by BearcatSA

Very exciting squad if you're the USA.

Nice to see Trusty finally get a look after playing a lot of minutes for Birmingham City. McKenzie and Genk are having a season, so that's good for him to return. Dest is super talented, but has struggled to play at AC Milan, so that probably raises eyebrows. Perhaps says that USA are deep, but not yet deep enough where they can ignore someone of Dest's talent. If he was playing for Holland no there's way he gets a national team selection right now. Why CCV is not chosen is beyond me, but maybe they just wanted to integrate Robinson and hence sacrificed CVV?

Adams is out injured, so Cardoso is likely his replacement. Sonora probably gets a reward here for declaring USA. Malik Tilman is doing well at Rangers probably the biggest snub in the midfield, but he's super young and already has 4 caps, not the end of the world. Looks like Djordie will have to do more at AZ to get a call...

Up front, nice to see Dike rewarded for finding his goal scoring form. Sargent goals seem to be drying up at Norwich, so perhaps that's why we was left off. Ditto for Pefok at Union Berlin. Zendejas is doing well at Club America. Booth is impressing in Holland.

So, the same core with a few new faces. Hope our roster is similar. We already know Zator got the call with his good play in Poland and sounds like Louturi's play with Ross County will be rewarded. I get the feeling the CB at St. Louis could be another new face for us, but with Zator getting confirmed maybe not?

Edited by Obinna