Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Oh I 100% agree with everything your saying. Theres enough evidence to prove players can/have been consulted. 

I just was hoping for some news that comes directly from the horses mouth rather than one soccer reporters. 

I have never had a talk with him, but I have heard interviews. First, that one with Tactical Manager where it came out he was also eligible for Canada, something we have to thank Tac for. The kid was sincere, was not at all cagey or trying to be complicated about things. He seemed like a sweet young man. 

Then the video with Espanyol when we call him into the Vancouver camp, and he is gushing, he is overjoyed, there is no question it was a big thing for him. 

He's been playing the field, with Canada, the US and Italy. I suspect he is not clear on things. I would hope he could get fully healthy and focus on his club career, because it is not at all a done thing yet. Just put your head down, work on taking the next step up as a footballer now playing with adults, and then work through the international option. I seriously don't get why these players rush when there is no need for it.

So the relegation battle, complicated. Espanyol has Valladolid, Cádiz and Getafe, who unexpectedly beat Betis today, all at 3 points distance with 2 matches to play. So they'll need two of them to slip up. They probably need to win both, Valencia away and Almeria at home, both still relegation threatened as well.

It could come down to multiple teams tied and very messy tiebreakers between 3 or more.

I suspect with Braithwaite healthy they'll send Luca with the B on the weekend to play Atletico B in a promotion playoff.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Espanyol was winning to m. 93, Valencia got a late goal and my neighbours relegate. Luca stayed on the bench.

I think the team being in 2nd is not a bad option for Koleosho. He was not going to get La Liga minutes yet, but if the team is in 2nd it is more reasonable, as they can't retain certain players and they have to fill in the squad with other cheaper, more flexible options.

I appreciate that some have argued he's going to look for a way out this summer, regardless of that having an option at 2nd division at his age is an excellent option.

Koleosho interview:

https://t.co/dmOcHwUDwp

Doesn’t say too much, praises Canada just like Italy and the US. He does say that things are going pretty well with Italy and he’s looking to continue, but a hard decision. I don’t think we’re going to see him at Nations league, but I have the feeling if it’s not Italy, it’s gonna be us. Really praised how the team took him in while he was in our camp.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Koleosho interview:

https://t.co/dmOcHwUDwp

Doesn’t say too much, praises Canada just like Italy and the US. He does say that things are going pretty well with Italy and he’s looking to continue, but a hard decision. I don’t think we’re going to see him at Nations league, but I have the feeling if it’s not Italy, it’s gonna be us. Really praised how the team took him in while he was in our camp.

He's going to do what's best for him. There's no way that he, or any other kid, would commit to any national team until he's comfortable in his club career and can feel out his international options.

I'll remind everyone that he was born and raised in the U.S, has never lived in Canada, and has attended youth camps for the U.S. If he lights it up and Italy doesn't want him but the U.S does, it's going to be tough for Canada, regardless of the early courting.

Of course, he's going to be polite about every country before he closes any doors.

Edited by Soccerpro2

17 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

He's going to do what's best for him. There's no way that he, or any other kid, would commit to any national team until he's comfortable in his club career and can feel out his international options.

I'll remind everyone that he was born and raised in the U.S, has never lived in Canada, and has attended youth camps for the U.S. If he lights it up and Italy doesn't want him but the U.S does, it's going to be tough for Canada, regardless of the early courting.

Of course, he's going to be polite about every country before he closes any doors.

It seems yet another talent we could lose

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

This guy seems bright and level-headed.  He "gets it" and doesn't seem like he's being manipulated by his "entourage".  Nice to see.  Even with his high ceiling I wouldn't feel as bad about losing a classy guy that made a well thought out decision.

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

As long as he's playing for Italy's youth teams, he'll have the interest of Italian clubs

Prime example of the power of a euro youth background.

Guys like Costa and Jebbo have much to gain by sticking with their current youth country.

think we all need to chill when a youth player reps another country for now

Edited by Dominic94

9 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Prime example of the power of a euro youth background.

Guys like Costa and Jebbo have much to gain by sticking with their current youth country.

think we all need to chill when a youth player reps another country for now

In my opinion, it's the right career move for these kids to represent these other nations as long as our youth programs remain non-existent (With the hope they switch to Canada at the senior level).  More exposure, more regular games/camps, better reputation.  All of which result in better contracts with their clubs.

Edited by Footyeh

12 hours ago, Footyeh said:

In my opinion, it's the right career move for these kids to represent these other nations as long as our youth programs remain non-existent (With the hope they switch to Canada at the senior level).  More exposure, more regular games/camps, better reputation.  All of which result in better contracts with their clubs.

And it will give them more games with their clubs who do value the strong youth level performances. It’s a measuring stick for them to see this kids vs kids their age.

14 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Agreed. That said, It is absolutely incumbent on the CSA to arrange regular youth camps and friendlies so we can establish continuity, opportunity, and legitimacy for young Canadian hopefuls and more established young stars alike.

35 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Agreed. That said, It is absolutely incumbent on the CSA to arrange regular youth camps and friendlies so we can establish continuity, opportunity, and legitimacy for young Canadian hopefuls and more established young stars alike.

Why aren't they?

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

CSA:

Episode 12 Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

We need independent sponsors to help with on off events, a kind of sponsor for the month. For example, Bombardier, or Canadian Tire, or Petro Canada could sponsor a U-17 or U-20 camp plus friendlies on a (renewable) once at a time basis. I wonder, though, if this would satisfy the CSB contract - it could only help everybody involved as our various U programs improved.

59 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

We need independent sponsors to help with on off events, a kind of sponsor for the month. For example, Bombardier, or Canadian Tire, or Petro Canada could sponsor a U-17 or U-20 camp plus friendlies on a (renewable) once at a time basis. I wonder, though, if this would satisfy the CSB contract - it could only help everybody involved as our various U programs improved.

That would be nice but these companies have to actually be interested.

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

True. I mention these three as examples among many large companies in Canada. I would hope that the CSA is or will explore such a strategy.

There is little to no payback for companies over 1-2 friendlies. Brand activation opportunities are overall limited since qualifying doesn't take place in Canada & qualifying isn't a Canada Soccer event anyway. 

Canada youth matches atrract little attention. Lots of complaints about Canada's youth set up here and on social media but youth match threads even amongst the core audience here have little traction. No media is on location to cover qualifying.

Youtube feeds of last year's u20 men qualifying averaged less than 2500 live and less than 5k in total views. Youtube feeds of the current u20 women qualifying have averaged less than 1k.

Even the US who do hold quite a bit of youth camps for men and women don't have dedicated sponsors. But they have asked Americans to donate to their endowment type fund.

The US are also doing these camps with an operating deficit of US$43 million for the latest FY. About 1/3 was due to retro player payouts due to the equity pay deal but the USSF don't appear to be concerned about their money problems as Canada Soccer. Maybe they believe they're going to make some good coin hosting Copa America & WC26 & US women doing well at WC23. 

4 minutes ago, red card said:

There is little to no payback for companies over 1-2 friendlies. Brand activation opportunities are overall limited since qualifying doesn't take place in Canada & qualifying isn't a Canada Soccer event anyway. 

Canada youth matches atrract little attention. Lots of complaints about Canada's youth set up here and on social media but youth match threads even amongst the core audience here have little traction. No media is on location to cover qualifying.

Youtube feeds of last year's u20 men qualifying averaged less than 2500 live and less than 5k in total views. Youtube feeds of the current u20 women qualifying have averaged less than 1k.

Even the US who do hold quite a bit of youth camps for men and women don't have dedicated sponsors. But they have asked Americans to donate to their endowment type fund.

The US are also doing these camps with an operating deficit of US$43 million for the latest FY. About 1/3 was due to retro player payouts due to the equity pay deal but the USSF don't appear to be concerned about their money problems as Canada Soccer. Maybe they believe they're going to make some good coin hosting Copa America & WC26 & US women doing well at WC23. 

Thanks for the explanation!

Does the CSA benefit from net home match gate, merchandise, parking, and concession receipts - some of them? all of them?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Thanks for the explanation!

Does the CSA benefit from net home match gate, merchandise, parking, and concession receipts - some of them? all of them?

Thanks!

CSA do get home gate revenues and royalties from Nike merchandise. Stadium operators/owners like MLSE and BC govt get parking, concessions etc..

6 minutes ago, red card said:

CSA do get home gate revenues and royalties from Nike merchandise. Stadium operators/owners like MLSE and BC govt get parking, concessions etc..

"MLSE Donates May TFC Match Parking Proceeds for CSA U-17 Development"

"We have you guys in the TFC Academy who need to be seen along with their top rated peers by national team coaching staff," explained MLSE academy executive Mr. Inno Vative after a TFC Academy  match against Sigma Academy. We need to share and give opinions about not only our boys, but those talented 15, 16, and 17 year olds who play elsewhere in our region. Only then can we be more confident of not missing a star in the making. If not for us today then maybe for York United or Forge or Ottawa to start. Can't happen soon enough."

Wouldn't something like this be a welcome story to come in various parts of Canada?