Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

Italian football has started to get worried. So, they're looking at players like Koleosho more seriously.

Mancini has said he can't rely on Serie A for talent, nor can he afford to wait for coaches to give what talent there is a chance. It’s why he has called up players who haven't yet played first team Serie A football. 

With selecting Retegui, Mancini is now also selecting players who haven't kicked a ball in Italy. “Years ago, I said only players born in Italy should play for the national team,” Mancini said. “But there weren’t the problems we face now and the world has changed.”

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Completely off topic, but I wonder how Italy managed to land Matteo Retegui. Born, raised, and has so far only played in Argentina, only has an Italian grandfather, father and sister play internationally for Argentina, he was with their U20s, but suddenly pivoted to Italy, and scored in his first two games. Maybe at 23, he fell off Argentina’s radar, but Italy is a country that is very hard to turn down once they come calling.

I turned them down.  Would do it again.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Played the last 10 minutes as Barça won the league in the Espanyol stadium. Will rewatch as I was not focused on him for some reason🤪

Game was on ESPN in the US, and they kept referring to him as the US under-20 player, which is probably pretty accurate… but it still annoyed the heck out of me 

6 hours ago, Addona said:

Game was on ESPN in the US, and they kept referring to him as the US under-20 player, which is probably pretty accurate… but it still annoyed the heck out of me 

@narduchis right, he's only played official matches with Italy.

The u-19 Euros are in Malta early June. Espanyol B has two playoff at home then away vs. Atletico de Madrid B starting next week, winner I believe promotes ..or goes to next round... have to check. So he'd play those then go with Italy?

Pretty clear to me Espanyol were showcasing him. Unless they really believe he can help off the bench to avoid relegation, he hasn't so far.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@narduchis right, he's only played official matches with Italy.

The u-19 Euros are in Malta early June. Espanyol B has two playoff at home then away vs. Atletico de Madrid B starting next week, winner I believe promotes ..or goes to next round... have to check. So he'd play those then go with Italy?

Pretty clear to me Espanyol were showcasing him. Unless they really believe he can help off the bench to avoid relegation, he hasn't so far.

Euro's begin July 3rd I believe.

I think Espanyol will run him out as much as possible in these next games to put him in the shop window ahead of the Euros.

16 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Euro's begin July 3rd I believe.

I think Espanyol will run him out as much as possible in these next games to put him in the shop window ahead of the Euros.

Right you are, 3 July.

So he has time to help the B team promote and/or be there for extreme situations the 1st team might need him for.

Mind you, we could always call him up for the Gold Cup!

I rewatched on Barça TV. Came on m. 84. They said he was eligible for the States and Canada, missed Italy, missed the fact that his debut was last season, thought it was last September. He played left wing, got to the endline once and had a decent pass in, tried to dribble a few players into the box and was stripped, in general looked strong and lively. Espanyol scored when he was on the pitch to make it 2-4. 

Again, I suspect he'll play for the B this weekend vs. Atlético Madrid B, unless the first team has injuries in attack, first team is away to Rayo, home to Atlético, away to Valencia, home to Almeria, pretty bad schedule, they probably need 8-9 points.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Footyeh said:

He's in 1st team for the weekends match with Rayo and no injuries in the team.

The media are also announcing that he'll start with the B this evening against At Madrid B, if I can get a confirmation I'd go. 

They play Rayo tomorrow early afternoon in Madrid, so it would have to be one or the other. It would depend on how they put together the final list for Rayo.

Anyways, Martin Braithwaite was injured last Sunday and has not trained normally all week, if he can't go for tomorrow, they may fit Luca into the final roster last minute to cover in attack. So he may travel and they'll decide late.

So not sure where your "no injuries on the team" came from.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 3/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, red card said:

Italian football has started to get worried. So, they're looking at players like Koleosho more seriously.

Mancini has said he can't rely on Serie A for talent, nor can he afford to wait for coaches to give what talent there is a chance. It’s why he has called up players who haven't yet played first team Serie A football. 

With selecting Retegui, Mancini is now also selecting players who haven't kicked a ball in Italy. “Years ago, I said only players born in Italy should play for the national team,” Mancini said. “But there weren’t the problems we face now and the world has changed.”

Considering Italy seems to have more great young talent now than they have had in the last ten years makes me call BS on this. Something else seems to be at play here. 

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I imagine him not making the Italy U20 WC roster probably helps are case a lot especially with Herdman's continue chase of him.

Although now the fact remains he needs to file a one time switch.

He didn't make the final cut for Italy U20?  I thought I read on here he did?  Or am I misunderstanding something?