Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

Hopefully for him Italy qualify with a result next match, his injury came at a horrible time.  Given he's essentially missed two matches, his decision will look horrible if they are knocked out now and miss out on the U19 Euros and as well as a possible spot on the U20 team for the World Cup

I don't think it's time to move the thread. If anything, I look at him choosing Italy for youth as a positive. It's obviously going to be far for difficult to break into the senior squad of Italy than Canada or the US.

But playing with the Italy youth probably gives him many more eyes on him. Lots of coverage and eyes will be on the Euro U19 and Euro U21 tournaments (and the subsequent Olympics if they qualify) compared to a CONCACAF U2X tournament. So that makes sense. Then he can still switch for seniors.

Choosing the USA U20s though would probably show more of a lean to the US for senior because why pick their youth which is less visible internationally over Italy if you planned to switch later to Canada. However, picking Italy gives him the choice between Canada and USA still. (I still feel he'll ultimately join the US as he's born and raised there and has more of a connection, but you never know).

Edited by rydermike

I think an underrated aspect here is that he's probably waiting to see if Spain is interested in him too- I think I heard he's now or soon to become eligible for them as well. I think we've lost him, but capping for Italy is probably better for us if anything- if the door with Italy's senior team closes, the door with Spain probably closes along with it, and if the US isn't ready to call him up yet, then he's ours.

22 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Not necessarily goodbye forever but would be long while...eligible for UEFA U19 Championship this year and then U21 Championship in 2025

He could even fight for an Olympics spot, not sure if they qualified. But basically: minimal travel, his club will be happier having him close plus the market value playing for Italy.

He channels mother through her Italian instead of Canadian heritage. Btw she was born in Montreal as Melissa Vallera. 

But he still has to deliver on the pitch.

Admittedly a stretch to invoke a D Yankov of Bulgaria parallel - that said, I was mad he chose Bulgaria when he did as a dual. That said, has not been called into their nat team for their recent fixtures. It’s the age old conundrum for duals, I want them to be good but not too good if they choose the “other side”. 

Will LK be better than Yankov ( or even S Mitrovic too) time will tell

I prefer to focus on the likes of Loturi, JMR, D Kerr and all others not cited and the hopeful abundance of talent we have coming in the pipeline in the near future 

Edited by Markoaleks

1 hour ago, Markoaleks said:

Admittedly a stretch to invoke a D Yankov of Bulgaria parallel - that said, I was mad he chose Bulgaria when he did as a dual. That said, has not been called into their nat team for their recent fixtures. It’s the age old conundrum for duals, I want them to be good but not too good if they choose the “other side”. 

Will LK be better than Yankov ( or even S Mitrovic too) time will tell

I prefer to focus on the likes of Loturi, JMR, D Kerr and all others not cited and the hopeful abundance of talent we have coming in the pipeline in the near future 

I feel the same way about Yankov although at the same time despite Ludogorets dominating, the Bulgarian league has become so poor I seriously wonder if he would been getting regular call-ups to us.

It's one reason I hope Atanasov breaks out and leaves because I like the player but the rest of the Bulgarian league are much worse that Ludogorets.

4 hours ago, rydermike said:

It's obviously going to be far for difficult to break into the senior squad of Italy than Canada or the US.

I'm not so sure, I skimmed an article the other day that was saying Italy is scouring and raking Argentina looking for eligible players since their options aren't looking so good.  They already have like two Brazilian born starters.

6 hours ago, Footyeh said:

He will play for Canada or US 100% in the future.  This move to Italy now was one based on visibility and exposure.  US offered a U20 world cup spot but Italy can offer U19 Euros, U20 World Cup, U21 Euros, Olympics and much more regular friendly matches during international breaks.

This went underrated.

it’s far more valuable career wise to be an Italy youth international than a US one.

The euro snobbery is real and still exists, also these are big tourneys that big clubs watch…. He would do well to perform and maybe get a move.

5 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Sorry, do these games for Italy's u19 cap tie him to Italy? Thought it had to be at the senior level?

Not cap tied.

However, unless they really change their mind, he is likely to be called into their u-19 team for the Euro tournament in Malta this summer. The more he plays for them, and as long as his club play gets better, the close he'll get to the senior team. Though I appreciate that could be a few years off at best.

Completely off topic, but I wonder how Italy managed to land Matteo Retegui. Born, raised, and has so far only played in Argentina, only has an Italian grandfather, father and sister play internationally for Argentina, he was with their U20s, but suddenly pivoted to Italy, and scored in his first two games. Maybe at 23, he fell off Argentina’s radar, but Italy is a country that is very hard to turn down once they come calling.