Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sorry maybe this is too hard for my smooth brain to understand.

But didn't he play for Italy in an official U19 qualifier?

Wouldn't we have to wait 3 years to cap him now? Or am I getting the rules all wrong?

He played against Slovenia U19 in a qualifier, can't find any info on whether he player in another one. However, since this was a youth match, he wouldn't have to wait three years. He could file a one-time switch and immediately rep Canada

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Sorry maybe this is too hard for my smooth brain to understand.

But didn't he play for Italy in an official U19 qualifier?

Wouldn't we have to wait 3 years to cap him now? Or am I getting the rules all wrong?

Only an official senior match requires the 3 year wait. Youth official matches don't require it

9 minutes ago, phresh said:

He played against Slovenia U19 in a qualifier, can't find any info on whether he player in another one. However, since this was a youth match, he wouldn't have to wait three years. He could file a one-time switch and immediately rep Canada

You are correct. In the qualifying group with Itay, Slovenia, Germany and Belgium, in late March, he only came on as a very late sub vs. Slovenia. Did not play the others. 

This is for the u-19 Euros in Malta in early July, just to summarize. Those rosters won't be released for another month.

So him not being on a sub-21 Italy roster as indicated above is irrelevant.

The fact that he appears on our preliminary list is a very good sign. He went to a US B camp just a year ago, and has returned to the Canadian fold, went to an Italy camp and seems willing to get back into the Canada mix. So after being pessimistic, I am chipper again about our prospects.

If he'd stayed with the B we all would be able to watch, it is being live streamed right now on YT.

I should have mentioned/elaborated in my previous post that I’m a little bit in the know which is why I posted he would be with the 1st team before it actually came out, and I can shed some light on his entire situation 

He’s not in the first team because of injuries in the team, it’s been planned.  He trains with them almost exclusively anyways.  He’s not resigned with Espanyol, has a year left on his deal and will likely be moved in the summer.  Given the club rates him highly and made him one of a handful of players in his entire age group that have played La Liga minutes, they want to get a good fee/deal for him.  The substitution against Barcelona alone will have only helped to market him and I’m sure (I hope) he’ll get some minutes in the games to see out the season as well.  He’s had quite the injury issues this 2nd half of the season so he hasn’t really gotten going at all.  

When he chose Italy over USA, it wasn’t about the U20 World Cup, it was with the thought in mind that he can get many more matches (regular friendlies within Europe, major tournaments etc.) at the U19/U20/U21 level over the next 1-2 years than just one tournament with the USA.

He came into U19 Euro qualifying injured, he missed the 1st match vs Germany, played only a few minutes at the end of the 2nd match and started in the final group game which was must-win vs Belgium.  Perhaps if he was fit and playing more matches leading into May, he would have gone with Italy U20 to the World Cup as planned but he’ll be at the U19 Euros and will be a key player in that team.  

Unfortunately for us, he’s not making any switch in the immediate timeline.  I’d like to see him play for Canada in the buildup to 2026 but my gut feeling (no intel on this) is if he’s good enough for USA and they call, he’ll play for them.

Edited by Footyeh

23 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I should have mentioned/elaborated in my previous post that I’m a little bit in the know which is why I posted he would be with the 1st team before it actually came out, and I can shed some light on his entire situation 

He’s not in the first team because of injuries in the team, it’s been planned.  He trains with them almost exclusively anyways.  He’s not resigned with Espanyol, has a year left on his deal and will likely be moved in the summer.  Given the club rates him highly and made him one of a handful of players in his entire age group that have played La Liga minutes, they want to get a good fee/deal for him.  The substitution against Barcelona alone will have only helped to market him and I’m sure (I hope) he’ll get some minutes in the games to see out the season as well.  He’s had quite the injury issues this 2nd half of the season so he hasn’t really gotten going at all.  

When he chose Italy over USA, it wasn’t about the U20 World Cup, it was with the thought in mind that he can get many more matches (regular friendlies within Europe, major tournaments etc.) at the U19/U20/U21 level over the next 1-2 years than just one tournament with the USA.

He came into U19 Euro qualifying injured, he missed the 1st match vs Germany, played only a few minutes at the end of the 2nd match and started in the final group game which was must-win vs Belgium.  Perhaps if he was fit and playing more matches leading into May, he would have gone with Italy U20 to the World Cup as planned but he’ll be at the U19 Euros and will be a key player in that team.  

Unfortunately for us, he’s not making any switch in the immediate timeline.  I’d like to see him play for Canada in the buildup to 2026 but my gut feeling (no intel on this) is if he’s good enough for USA and they call, he’ll play for them.

You're right, I erred previously, he did start vs for Italy vs Belgium was subbed out m 67.

His injury problems lasted especially from late September into the start of this year. He's been playing more for the last two months. For the B team. And mostly training with them.

If Braithwaite was healthy it's not at all clear he would have gone with the 1st team. They can only dress 23.

As you're American I appreciate you want him to play for them . 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You're right, I erred previously, he did start vs for Italy vs Belgium was subbed out m 67.

His injury problems lasted especially from late September into the start of this year. He's been playing more for the last two months. For the B team. And mostly training with them.

If Braithwaite was healthy it's not at all clear he would have gone with the 1st team. They can only dress 23.

As you're American I appreciate you want him to play for them . 

It was clear if that was the plan from the coaching staff

.… and I’m not Canadian!!??  😅

13 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

It was clear if that was the plan from the coaching staff

.… and I’m not Canadian!!??  😅

Clearly your entire line of argument is Luca to the US.

You also don't understand how training works at Espanyol, at least I've been to the Dani Jarque, I've been going there for years. You also  erred on Braithwaite's injury, if he had been healthy Luca'd have gone with the Bs, as there weren't roster spots and they are keen to see them promote.

Espanyol does not have a plan to showcase players in the middle of a relegation battle, the entire notion is silly. If the team is bombing he won't show well, as is the case of last weekend, and if they're winning they won't sub on a striker.

Finally his market value is too low for it to be worth it to sell him. If they go down, in turn, playing 2nd Division would be excellent for him.

46 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I’m curious why he agreed to be included in the prelim. roster then.  

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Clearly your entire line of argument is Luca to the US.

You also don't understand how training works at Espanyol, at least I've been to the Dani Jarque, I've been going there for years. You also  erred on Braithwaite's injury, if he had been healthy Luca'd have gone with the Bs, as there weren't roster spots and they are keen to see them promote.

Espanyol does not have a plan to showcase players in the middle of a relegation battle, the entire notion is silly. If the team is bombing he won't show well, as is the case of last weekend, and if they're winning they won't sub on a striker.

Finally his market value is too low for it to be worth it to sell him. If they go down, in turn, playing 2nd Division would be excellent for him.

I was actually at the training grounds recently, if I can figure out how to convert my videos to smaller size I’ll send in here.

I’m very much Canadian but hey if you tell me I’m not, you must be right!! Unamed Trialist knows all I forgot.  Even when he doesn’t actually know.  Forgive me 😆

Edited by Footyeh

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I’m curious why he agreed to be included in the prelim. roster then.  

He didn’t agree to be on it.  No player does to be honest… which is why I posted in the Mo Farsi thread it was kind of weird that either he intentionally asked not to be included in the list or he just wasn’t selected at all.  

13 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I was actually at the training grounds recently, if I can figure out how to convert my videos to smaller size I’ll send in here.

I’m very much Canadian but hey if you tell me I’m not, you must be right!! Unamed Trialist knows all I forgot.  Even when he doesn’t actually know.  Forgive me 😆

If you've seen them training then all power to you. 

You've been proven mistaken about most everything else, who he trains with, Espanyol injuries, if they're showcasing him in a relegation battle... you're even mistaken about how prelim rosters are put together.

Espanyol wins away at Vallecas in a good match, Koleosho stays on the bench.

They're at 34, a point behind Valladolid and Getafe who stupidly drew at home vs bottom feeder Elche yesterday.

Valladolid plays Barça at home midweek and Espanyol will be home to Atlético de Madrid. Being a midweek game he could get another callup, depending on other injuries. 

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you've seen them training then all power to you. 

You've been proven mistaken about most everything else, who he trains with, Espanyol injuries, if they're showcasing him in a relegation battle... you're even mistaken about how prelim rosters are put together.

Talk to some players, you’ll find out how the prelim rosters work… better yet your the expert in Espanyol, take a trip to the facility’s and ask Luca yourself.

22 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Talk to some players, you’ll find out how the prelim rosters work… better yet your the expert in Espanyol, take a trip to the facility’s and ask Luca yourself.

We have heard directly that Farsi refused to be on it, and think we heard just now that Morris was consulted and accepted. Or was that Abzi? So they are asking and consulting, it is not a list that is just thrown out with zero consultation. You said they don't ask anyone at all, evidence suggests you are mistaken: they ask some players, the ones on the fence or breaking through, and many more are in regular contact with the NT staff.

Are you saying he does not speak with NT staff at all? Could you tell us about Luca's relationship with Tenllado when Eric is back in Barcelona?

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We have heard directly that Farsi refused to be on it, and think we heard just now that Morris was consulted and accepted. Or was that Abzi? So they are asking and consulting, it is not a list that is just thrown out with zero consultation. You said they don't ask anyone at all, evidence suggests you are mistaken: they ask some players, the ones on the fence or breaking through, and many more are in regular contact with the NT staff.

Are you saying he does not speak with NT staff at all? Could you tell us about Luca's relationship with Tenllado when Eric is back in Barcelona?

I agree with what youre saying but have we heard directly (as in direct from farsi, or morris etc). I have heard from analysts that farsi declined and morris accepted but would love to know if either of these guys spoke out. 

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I agree with what youre saying but have we heard directly (as in direct from farsi, or morris etc). I have heard from analysts that farsi declined and morris accepted but would love to know if either of these guys spoke out. 

I am sure this person I am "arguing" with has some sort of personal information on Luca, so I should shut up a bit. He's right I am being a bit know-it-all.

Thing is, he's said clearly incorrect things, such as there is no way Koleosho was consulted on being included because nobody is consulted. Arguing that he was just stuck onto that list and that he has other things in mind.

Our information on a few players is that it is not the case, that there is a dialogue even about being included on a preliminary list. 

If I am wrong about Luca, fine, but I am not going to back down quickly when the person I am disagreeing with has made clearly incorrect statements. Like that Espanyol had no injuries and just included him with the first team because they felt like it. Or that they are showcasing him to sell him, when a relegation battle is the absolutely worst time to be doing such a thing.

Reality is that between injuries and jumping a category, Koleosho has had a poor year. His stats this season are weak, but that is not necessarily even a problem, since when you go up a level it's normal. I don't think it is a mark against him. But it does mean that he has not pushed up his market value that much since last summer even. I doubt they could get anywhere near a million for him, so not much. If Espanyol want to move him, or he doesn't want to re-sign, he is unlikely to go to a much better program where he'd get quality first team minutes. In fact, if Espanyol relegate they just may end up being an excellent option for an emerging teen, who they could give minutes to in 2nd tier in a way they couldn't in top flight. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am sure this person I am "arguing" with has some sort of personal information on Luca, so I should shut up a bit. He's right I am being a bit know-it-all.

Thing is, he's said clearly incorrect things, such as there is no way Koleosho was consulted on being included because nobody is consulted. Arguing that he was just stuck onto that list and that he has other things in mind.

Our information on a few players is that it is not the case, that there is a dialogue even about being included on a preliminary list. 

If I am wrong about Luca, fine, but I am not going to back down quickly when the person I am disagreeing with has made clearly incorrect statements. Like that Espanyol had no injuries and just included him with the first team because they felt like it. Or that they are showcasing him to sell him, when a relegation battle is the absolutely worst time to be doing such a thing.

Reality is that between injuries and jumping a category, Koleosho has had a poor year. His stats this season are weak, but that is not necessarily even a problem, since when you go up a level it's normal. I don't think it is a mark against him. But it does mean that he has not pushed up his market value that much since last summer even. I doubt they could get anywhere near a million for him, so not much. If Espanyol want to move him, or he doesn't want to re-sign, he is unlikely to go to a much better program where he'd get quality first team minutes. In fact, if Espanyol relegate they just may end up being an excellent option for an emerging teen, who they could give minutes to in 2nd tier in a way they couldn't in top flight. 

Oh I 100% agree with everything your saying. Theres enough evidence to prove players can/have been consulted. 

I just was hoping for some news that comes directly from the horses mouth rather than one soccer reporters.