Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

58 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Is Mitchell Ryan a real person or a bot? Twitter has 5% bot accounts, you know. Possibly more (at least according to Elon Musk).

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you're saying Musk won't buy Twitter until he's clear on Mitchell Ryan?

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

The random 8 numbers after the user name is a pretty big tell.

I guess we have really arrived when we are worthy of troll bots.

There's a pretty easy way to figure this out:

Hey @Mitchryan11, this you, bud?

Also, say "potato" when you reply so we know you're not a bot here too.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:44 PM, narduch said:

The random 8 numbers after the user name is a pretty big tell.

I guess we have really arrived when we are worthy of troll bots.

Random numbers in your name doesnt mean you are a bot.  I'm a man baby..yaah!!  POTATO!!!  

Herdman on Koleosho in the Athletic:

“His tactical acumen was solid, as was his timing into the areas we wanted him to play in,” said Herdman. “And the whole camp was about him being brave. That was the mentality we were focusing on with him just to show at this level, what skill sets he had that could help us in the World Cup. He has that wide forward pace and maverick qualities that I think Canada are going to rely on in the World Cup.”

Herdman’s response to this question was interesting. He mentions the World Cup twice in the span of a few sentences when discussing a 17-year-old. You could interpret this as Herdman trying to inspire Koleosho and letting him know that he’s in contention, and that might just be enough to sway him to join the fold. Monday’s news that FIFA can now expand rosters for the World Cup to 26 players might boost the likelihood of Koleosho’s inclusion even more.

But again, it’s far from a given that Koleosho will even commit to Canada.

“We’ll be staying in touch,” said Herdman. “I hope his career tells a story in the next couple of weeks with his preseason, hopefully with the first team, and if he breaks the first team squad, he could have a good future for us and an opportunity to break into the squad for Qatar.” 

https://theathletic.com/3365329/2022/06/14/canada-honduras-curacao-what-we-learned/

9 minutes ago, red card said:

Herdman on Koleosho in the Athletic:

“His tactical acumen was solid, as was his timing into the areas we wanted him to play in,” said Herdman. “And the whole camp was about him being brave. That was the mentality we were focusing on with him just to show at this level, what skill sets he had that could help us in the World Cup. He has that wide forward pace and maverick qualities that I think Canada are going to rely on in the World Cup.”

Herdman’s response to this question was interesting. He mentions the World Cup twice in the span of a few sentences when discussing a 17-year-old. You could interpret this as Herdman trying to inspire Koleosho and letting him know that he’s in contention, and that might just be enough to sway him to join the fold. Monday’s news that FIFA can now expand rosters for the World Cup to 26 players might boost the likelihood of Koleosho’s inclusion even more.

But again, it’s far from a given that Koleosho will even commit to Canada.

“We’ll be staying in touch,” said Herdman. “I hope his career tells a story in the next couple of weeks with his preseason, hopefully with the first team, and if he breaks the first team squad, he could have a good future for us and an opportunity to break into the squad for Qatar.” 

https://theathletic.com/3365329/2022/06/14/canada-honduras-curacao-what-we-learned/

The fact that the the OS crew picked him as a dark horse (along with Kone) for the 26 man squad makes me wonder if they have some insight from Herdman that he really is in contention for a roster spot.  

Herdman's comments, public as they are, will likely get picked up here. So that could be positive for him. 

Last year they took 8-9 of the younger guys the the start of the pre-season. They just start in Barcelona then go to Marbella, it's not complicated. 

It's also about how the club works. The coach is new but knows his budget and understands Espanyol bring up youth. Many academy guys have just retired, so they need "replacements".

That 1st team match he played, he was called in by the B team coach after Moreno was let go 2 games before the end. Then his U19 coach took the B team. 

If he goes to the 1st team camp and they don't sign any veteran for his position that'll be telling. 

But still, as he's likely on a lower salary, they'll start him officially in the B team and bring him up, so as to not have to raise him to the Liga salary minimums. And only if things go well they'll offer him a 1st team contract. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, red card said:

That last part reads to me like Luca has already committed to Canada.

Then again I may be reading it with rose-coloured glasses.

I think they are very intentional with knowing what will put some public pressure on the player. That can have hit and miss results though.

If he has committed I think we would have seen him in the nation's league games and he would have stayed the full camp. Fingers crossed though. 

• 4 weeks later...

He's one of the 8 academy and B team players doing the preseason with the first team, La Grada, an independent Espanyol weekly now fully online, profiles all of them. 

https://www.lagradaonline.com/primer-equipo/ocho-filial-pretemporada-primer-equipo-espanyol

Call him the "newest appearance"; they're in Barcelona this week and play Montpelier at home next weekend, but in between I think they go to Marbella. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

He's physically mature and moves comfortably, remember he's still 17. 

Uses both feet quite well too. Plays with his head up, movement off the ball. Defends. Quite a complete player for his age. He's miles ahead of anyone his age in Canada's programme or near it.

The broadcast has commentary by former striker Raul Tamudo and back Joan Capdevila, who won the World Cup with Spain. If you are a Spanish speaker, it is half in Spanish and half Catalan, which is pretty typical in Barcelona.

He's one of 28 (29?) going to Marbella with the Espanyol 1st team for a 2 week stage. 

https://www.lagradaonline.com/primer-equipo/villahermosa-viaja-wulei-se-queda

More cool news: they play a friendly Sunday morn vs Lille, on the 24th. I think they stream live on their YouTube channel. 

After they have an early August friendly at Brighton. If he's still with them then he'll likely be close to being a 1st team player.