Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's one of 28 (29?) going to Marbella with the Espanyol 1st team for a 2 week stage. 

https://www.lagradaonline.com/primer-equipo/villahermosa-viaja-wulei-se-queda

More cool news: they play a friendly Sunday morn vs Lille, on the 24th. I think they stream live on their YouTube channel. 

After they have an early August friendly at Brighton. If he's still with them then he'll likely be close to being a 1st team player. 

the game is on DAZN

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

He will be another Jebbison or Mitrovic where we have to wait  few years before he decides his choice of national team

It was tongue and cheek, you’re probably right. I do think that Herdman likes giving one spot to the wonderkid du jour whether it’s Kone, Brym, maybe next time it’ll be Koleosho or Colyn or even JMR if he’s in form. I think we’ll have at least one kid who is a bit of a surprise on that plane to Qatar. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It was tongue and cheek, you’re probably right. I do think that Herdman likes giving one spot to the wonderkid du jour whether it’s Kone, Brym, maybe next time it’ll be Koleosho or Colyn or even JMR if he’s in form. I think we’ll have at least one kid who is a bit of a surprise on that plane to Qatar. 

If any kid is coming to Qatar I think it's Justin Smith.

9 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s another one too. If he plays for Nice he could be one, but I don’t know if playing in League 2 is enough to excite Herdman? 

It's tough to say, depends how the beginning of his season goes. It might be too early for him as well. If he is starting and playing well I could possibly see it. Kennedy plays at roughly the same level and he isn't even starting right now. Smith's versatility in positions that we're not exactly deep in will work in his favour. I could see Koleosho too if he manages to stick with the first team.

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He’s another one too. If he plays for Nice he could be one, but I don’t know if playing in League 2 is enough to excite Herdman? 

It worked for Brym. If Smith is starting and playing well he just may be included

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

It's tough to say, depends how the beginning of his season goes. It might be too early for him as well. If he is starting and playing well I could possibly see it. Kennedy plays at roughly the same level and he isn't even starting right now. Smith's versatility in positions that we're not exactly deep in will work in his favour. I could see Koleosho too if he manages to stick with the first team.

Yeah all of this is speculation until the season starts- Kone had a hot start and got a call up, maybe Justin Smith starts off hot too. I think the second bundesliga is a higher quality league- just looking at their team rankings on 538 (grain of salt, I know), Regensburg is roughly twice “as good” as Quevilly, the former roughly comparable to League One and low table MLS teams, while the later is in the same range as USL teams. Couple other names to throw in this list would be Abzi on Pau FC and Pepple at Luton- if he gets solid playing time there, I can see him making a case.

but of course, it’ll go to whoever is most in form and deserving. If Justin Smith punks League 2 and it’s clear he’s a step above, then that changes the story.

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

There is a significant difference between b2 and Ligue 2. B2 is considered to be close to on par with the Championship 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

Actually, that’s fair. I guess I more view Smith as a project for the future, but based on how he showed at the U20, if he plays well, then maybe Herdman will give him a call. FWIW I don’t think any of these guys would actually see playing time unless we’re eliminated before the final game or we somehow blow a team out (or get blown out), which is why I’m throwing a bunch of names out there irregardless of positional need. If Koleosho plays real minutes for Espanyol though, it would be hard for any of these other guys to beat his resume.

57 minutes ago, narduch said:

He will be another Jebbison or Mitrovic where we have to wait  few years before he decides his choice of national team

Jebbo & Mitrovic have been playing youth soccer for England and Serbia. They would not get the same exposure playing for our youth teams. So it's the senior team or bust. It's different for Luca re youth soccer and if he gets mins in La Liga JH will call him up.

I think that clearly if Koleosho is getting first team minutes he's a clear option. Except that we are already deep at that position, a right winger, or any winger. Tajon, Davies, Millar. Even Corbeanu if he too is getting minutes at Wolves (which would put Luka and Theo at a very similar level, as they are similar level clubs).

So do you take someone who is your third option for a position?

Even if Colyn plays for PSV, same thing; or if Brym really shines in Netherlands, but only if they are getting 1st team minutes and Theo and Luka are not.

Or cover for a position you are weaker on with a player at a weaker level? Smith in Ligue 2 I think has lost his clear chance to go, because it is hard to take a French 2nd tier defender I'd say. 

There's one little detail no one has commented on, which is Cornelius. He did not play the last window in qualifying, Hutch was put into the CB position (wrongly IMO), and if you look at his face in the locker room pics he does not look too happy (mind you, he has a sort of sad face normally). Anyways, then he did not go to the Nations League camp, when he was off season. I think there may be something there and he could have been left off because he expressed his displeasure. Just speculating. But that would give you reason to look for further CB cover and then you'd take Smith.

Any injury in attack or in defence would also open up a spot. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that clearly if Koleosho is getting first team minutes he's a clear option. Except that we are already deep at that position, a right winger, or any winger. Tajon, Davies, Millar. Even Corbeanu if he too is getting minutes at Wolves (which would put Luka and Theo at a very similar level, as they are similar level clubs).

If it comes down to Koleosho vs Corbeanu we need to take Koleosho. Corbeanu is already cap tied. I agree they are similar level players with similar level clubs, but wanting to build the depth in the program I know that'd be my choice.

A harder call is Koleosho vs Millar. I don't think it would come down to that, because I think Corbeanu is more on the fringe than Liam, who has been part of virtually every selection, even with squads of 24 and 25.

Hypothetically though, let's say we make room for a healthy Wotherspoon, Kone or Smith or Fraser sneak on, etc., do we take the cap tie and leave out Millar, who is a more established player that's culturally part of the young core? That one is tough. I lean Millar but again, I think Koleosho has to be a priority at the same time, especially considering we appear to be losing Mitrovic. 

Edited by Obinna

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If it comes down to Koleosho vs Corbeanu we need to take Koleosho. Corbeanu is already cap tied. I agree they are similar level players with similar level clubs, but wanting to build the depth in the program I know that'd be my choice.

A harder call is Koleosho vs Millar. I don't think it would come down to that, because I think Corbeanu is more on the fringe than Liam, who has been part of virtually every selection, even with squads of 24 and 25.

Hypothetically though, let's say we make room for a healthy Wotherspoon, Kone or Smith or Fraser sneak on, etc., do we take the cap tie and leave out Millar, who is a more established player that's culturally part of the young core? That one is tough. I lean Millar but again, I think Koleosho has to be a priority at the same time, especially considering we appear to be losing Mitrovic. 

I would tend to agree with you if this was anything but the world cup, but I think at this point, you have to bring your best players over exciting unknown (dual national) quantities, and Millar is one of our best young guys, cap ties be damned. Not to mention, what would guys like Dias, Mitrovic, etc say if they know that if they commit to canada, they can play a million qualifying matches, but might get pushed aside for the shiny new toy when it comes to the biggest stage. At least Millar is cap tied and ineligible for other nations, but for dual nationals, if there isn't some semblance of merit-based call ups, then I think that might scare some dual nationals into thinking they might find themselves in a similar situation to guys who cap tie to brazil or spain over their second option, play two games at 21, and then never see a minute of (important) international play for the rest of their careers. Hell, there's a scenario where you leave Millar home, Koleosho sees 0 minutes of playing time, States cap tie him for Gold Cup, and between now and 2026, Millar takes a leap, goes to a big club and suddenly decides he wants to focus on his club career a la Arfield.

But yeah, I think Koleosho has surpassed Corbeanu if those guys are in contention for a spot. Corbeanu has a ways to go (and seems to potentially be headed to spanish second div) and the cap tie thing isn't a factor since he's locked in, so unless he plays super well for Wolverhampton, I don't expect to see him play for Canada for a little while.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I would tend to agree with you if this was anything but the world cup, but I think at this point, you have to bring your best players over exciting unknown (dual national) quantities, and Millar is one of our best young guys, cap ties be damned. Not to mention, what would guys like Dias, Mitrovic, etc say if they know that if they commit to canada, they can play a million qualifying matches, but might get pushed aside for the shiny new toy when it comes to the biggest stage. At least Millar is cap tied and ineligible for other nations, but for dual nationals, if there isn't some semblance of merit-based call ups, then I think that might scare some dual nationals into thinking they might find themselves in a similar situation to guys who cap tie to brazil or spain over their second option, play two games at 21, and then never see a minute of (important) international play for the rest of their careers. Hell, there's a scenario where you leave Millar home, Koleosho sees 0 minutes of playing time, States cap tie him for Gold Cup, and between now and 2026, Millar takes a leap, goes to a big club and suddenly decides he wants to focus on his club career a la Arfield.

But yeah, I think Koleosho has surpassed Corbeanu if those guys are in contention for a spot. Corbeanu has a ways to go (and seems to potentially be headed to spanish second div) and the cap tie thing isn't a factor since he's locked in, so unless he plays super well for Wolverhampton, I don't expect to see him play for Canada for a little while.

Oddly with Levante also training in Marbella, and Besiktas down there, and Lille, along with Wolves not far, some of the scouts are going to be looking at both Theo and Luca in similar places over similar days. 

Apart from Davis and Hutch also featuring. Our depth is getting crazy. 

I'm in Vancouver, otherwise I could have considered going to Wolves- Besiktas..... 

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

In what world has Koleosho passed Corbeanu? One has a season of pro experience and the other has played less the 1 game as a professional.

Let's see if Koleosho actually plays for Espanyol, and actually decides to play for Canada.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

In what world has Koleosho passed Corbeanu? One has a season of pro experience and the other has played less the 1 game as a professional.

Let's see if Koleosho actually plays for Espanyol, and actually decides to play for Canada.

I agree, also the age difference: but as soon as Luca features for Espanyol in the Liga, and depending on the performance, the balance will start to shift. It could be close. 

BTW, Millar is going for sure if he's healthy and playing reasonably well. 

23 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don’t think either offers anything significant to Canada as they currently are, but with Koleosho, you can make the argument that the value in cap tying him would be worth the last roster spot to Qatar. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So do you take someone who is your third option for a position?

Even if Colyn plays for PSV, same thing; or if Brym really shines in Netherlands, but only if they are getting 1st team minutes and Theo and Luka are not.

Or cover for a position you are weaker on with a player at a weaker level? Smith in Ligue 2 I think has lost his clear chance to go, because it is hard to take a French 2nd tier defender I'd say. 

There's one little detail no one has commented on, which is Cornelius. He did not play the last window in qualifying, Hutch was put into the CB position (wrongly IMO), and if you look at his face in the locker room pics he does not look too happy (mind you, he has a sort of sad face normally). Anyways, then he did not go to the Nations League camp, when he was off season. I think there may be something there and he could have been left off because he expressed his displeasure. Just speculating. But that would give you reason to look for further CB cover and then you'd take Smith.

Any injury in attack or in defence would also open up a spot. 

I also remember when Cornelius was left off the Senior team and called into Olympic qualifying last year, I recall there were rumours that Cornelius was annoyed about this (I guess believing he was above that level).  

The 26 man roster will probably include at least 1 young player. Why? throughout WCQ JH selected a squad of 24 and probably played 20 or less, even in 3 game windows with crazy travel/weather/altitude. I suspect he has his 24 man squad (pending injuries) and then it's another 2. It's always easier to give a young forward a few minutes vs a young defender/defensive mid if you want to cap tie.

1 minute ago, cronaldo7 said:

I also remember when Cornelius was left off the Senior team and called into Olympic qualifying last year, I recall there were rumours that Cornelius was annoyed about this (I guess believing he was above that level).  

You may be correct but his play in Olympic qualifying didn't reflect any attitude issues because he played like a demon and was selected to the all star team iirc. Like Millar, Cornelius should have started the away game vs Panama. We had already qualified and the "regulars" didn't look like they were in the mood after the celebrations post Jamaica game. 

He comes on m. 60, they call him Luca Warrick (Luca). Back the right wing where they habitually play him. Then they flip him over to the left.

Immediately they say he's a Canadian international, and wonder if he could make the WC list. This match vs. 2nd division Las Palmas ended scoreless.

I think Espanyol is supposed to play Lille in this or similar venue on Sunday, I am seeing 10am Pacific time, 7pm local time.

Just saw something, at the end the postgame is from their stadium in Barcelona. That is really a great venue, very modern and nicely designed, mostly covered too. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist