2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

4 minutes ago, Vasi said:

True say. I really hope that they have a date in March or soon after to try again. They obviously had a plan and were going to do it. Which is a change from years past. 

Yea, I really hope someday we find out the players on the 55 man preliminary list and 23 man camp.

P̶e̶t̶e̶r̶ G̶r̶i̶f̶f̶i̶n̶ , sorry Andrew Olivieri will be leading our boys in CONCACAF U20 WCQ down in everybody's favourite CONCACAF nation: Honduras.

"para el Premundial de la Concacaf que se celebrará en Honduras en el verano de este año"  ↓ ↓ https://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/seleccion-sub-20/tri-sub-20-tendra-partido-amistoso-ante-costa-rica

Honduras in the heat of the summer with Olivieri in charge and as of yet, no preparatory camps. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

family guy fox GIF

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any news for the rescheduled March camp? As exciting as these times are in regards to the senior team, it will be very key to maintain the progress past Qatar.

What I don't want to see if us have all this momentum at the senior level, and our youth programs look the damn same. We have a lot more kids playing all over the place, and there should be several (at least  2) camps so they can be properly identified. Before a list of 23 random players are slapped together from TFC, Montreal, and the Caps coached by the dilllusionist. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Has there been any news for the rescheduled March camp? As exciting as these times are in regards to the senior team, it will be very key to maintain the progress past Qatar.

What I don't want to see if us have all this momentum at the senior level, and our youth programs look the damn same. We have a lot more kids playing all over the place, and there should be several (at least  2) camps so they can be properly identified. Before a list of 23 random players are slapped together from TFC, Montreal, and the Caps coached by the dilllusionist. 

I’ve listened to a few podcasts that Bontis was on recently and he has continually brought up that it’s important that we get our youth programs going again. They supposedly just approved a new budget for the youth programs and are making it a priority. We’ll see what that actually amounts to in reality, but it’s nice to hear that they’re actually trying to put something together.

58 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I’ve listened to a few podcasts that Bontis was on recently and he has continually brought up that it’s important that we get our youth programs going again. They supposedly just approved a new budget for the youth programs and are making it a priority. We’ll see what that actually amounts to in reality, but it’s nice to hear that they’re actually trying to put something together.

Like my Uncle B always told me "we need action, and not a bag of mouth". So heres hoping that something comes of it.

They need to get creative and move fast. If it were up to me, I would have a domestic camp, play against a CPL team, while also having a European camp scheduled against another team. 

If they aren't official FIFA youth tournaments, I would even include some overaged  guys who missed their opportunity but could still be a future prospect like Colyn, Priso and Pacius.

There should at least be 2 camps before a final camp.

2023 will have U-20 WCQ, Gold Cup, and hopefully Nations League Finals. 

Edited by Shway

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/varas-discusses-status-of-the-u-s-u-20-team-ahead-of-this-summer-s-critical-tournament Interview with the U20 US coach. Sounds like they're going to a tournament in March.

How I wish we'd play in friendly tournaments. Just having a camp isn't enough these guys needs in game reps. Otherwise the first time they face actual opposition will be at the tournament itself in the summer.

8 minutes ago, Cblake said:

when and where is this tournament?

The last thing Concacaf stated was Summer 2022. No exact date was given. Perhaps it will occur during Nations League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

Its a 20 team tournament. The final 4 spots were decided in a tournament last November.

They still need to draw the groups. My guess it will be groups of 5 maybe.

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

The last thing Concacaf stated was Summer 2022. No exact date was given. Perhaps it will occur during Nations League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

Its a 20 team tournament. The final 4 spots were decided in a tournament last November.

They still need to draw the groups. My guess it will be groups of 5 maybe.

So no location has been decided on at this point, could this be something Canada could host? 

35 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The friendly tournament the US coach is talking about for March might be in Argentina.

https://www.infobae.com/deportes/2022/01/25/el-plan-de-mascherano-en-la-seleccion-sub-20-el-primer-jugador-al-que-llamo-agenda-de-amistosos-top-y-el-toque-barcelona/

Argentina have invited Spain, England, Mexico, the USA, Australia and Uruguay.

Nothing is set in stone it seems.

37 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The actual CONCACAF qualifying tournament will be in the summer and will likely be hosted by Honduras.

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

So no location has been decided on at this point, could this be something Canada could host? 

We could but the the rumour is that Honduras will host:

On 1/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

"para el Premundial de la Concacaf que se celebrará en Honduras en el verano de este año"  ↓ ↓ https://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/seleccion-sub-20/tri-sub-20-tendra-partido-amistoso-ante-costa-rica

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille