WCQ: Third Round - Window 1 (September 2-8, 2021)

Shway

6 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

Pretty sure Akindele is on Taxi squad stand by(same as Gold Cup)... who else would be MLS standbys?

I alluded to that earlier in the thread.  Definitely Brault-Guillard, maybe Waterman (right sided CB), Pasher.  Some thought awhile back that Teibert and Chapman might be in the mix but neither has been in a NT camp in a long, long time, though I do think that Teibert might have more of a chance because of his defensive role and work rate should there be an issue with Piette and/or Fraser now that Priso is gone (Okello's tires were getting pumped up big time by Kev Kilbane but I don't see him for that role).  Guttierez?  But there is a glut of LB/LWB guys, so maybe not.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Oh no, not again,  the fetish continues here with the british based players.   Arfield, Millar and anyone else who is based professionally in England or scotland.   

Did I miss something and Basel has been relocated along the M62 between Widnes and Warrington? 😉

A short roster does not seem to contemplate all game scenarios. 

Corbeanu gives someone a rest late. Or gives you a late shot at beating the US when another striker is gassed. Tesho is a late body to defend corners, or hold up high and time waste. 

Can we still call in if there are cards or injuries? Is there another longer list filed with Concacaf? 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A short roster does not seem to contemplate all game scenarios. 

Corbeanu gives someone a rest late. Or gives you a late shot at beating the US when another striker is gassed. Tesho is a late body to defend corners, or hold up high and time waste. 

Can we still call in if there are cards or injuries? Is there another longer list filed with Concacaf? 

Corbeanu hasnt played any minutes since the gold cup due to an illness. 

First post so be easy on me, but is it possible in the Arfield-Herdman "positive and open" talks, the idea of him coming as depth didn't appeal to him and everyone is just saying the right things? He didn't want to come play minnows, why are we so sure he'd be okay coming to sit on the bench behind stache, MAK, etc.  Could be what headman was referring too about being on the outside and chemistry and what not. Might not be as willing to sit for situational subs as a piette, Fraser, etc

39 minutes ago, king1010 said:

When we get into the winter period we are going to have to say something similar about all the MLS players, this or that hasn't played any minutes for months. So what would you do, not call them?

You have to go with players you know are training regardless, and I think he's training, knows the mix and feels part of it. I like his talent. 

21 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

First post so be easy on me, but is it possible in the Arfield-Herdman "positive and open" talks, the idea of him coming as depth didn't appeal to him and everyone is just saying the right things? He didn't want to come play minnows, why are we so sure he'd be okay coming to sit on the bench behind stache, MAK, etc.  Could be what headman was referring too about being on the outside and chemistry and what not. Might not be as willing to sit for situational subs as a piette, Fraser, etc

Welcome aboard. I was lurking on these boards for a few years  before I was brave enough to post myself.

I think you are likely correct in your hunch. The MNT has often in previous incarnations had players that were only interested in coming if they were guaranteed starts or significant PT, for instance. The higher profile the player, the bigger the expectation for some.

With so many matches, so many goals scored and so many Ws there haven't been many disgruntled types this cycle, but I suspect as these matches edge towards do-or-die, Herdman will be forced to make some less popular, or more questionable, decisions about who starts or who gets called in. Nobody's too concerned about Liam Fraser getting PT, for example, if we are winning and in a qualifying position, but if we are losing matches then the satisfaction levels of the bench players will be tested and Herdman's much celebrated people skills will really be put to the test.

30 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

What a f***ing stupid…

Just kidding.  This is absolutely possible.  They are all professionals and if Arfield really was trying to prolong his career by skipping whole windows (or whatever the case may be) there is nothing to be gained by any party with a “salt the earth” exit strategy. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

When we get into the winter period we are going to have to say something similar about all the MLS players, this or that hasn't played any minutes for months. So what would you do, not call them?

You have to go with players you know are training regardless, and I think he's training, knows the mix and feels part of it. I like his talent. 

I think it is less that he hasn’t played in general and more that he hasn’t played due to an illness. We have no idea what the illness was, he may not even be fit. 

Just now, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I think it is less that he hasn’t played in general and more that he hasn’t played due to an illness. We have no idea what the illness was, he may not even be fit. 

But hoilett, and Cavallini are fit? 

If he’s injured he’s injured. I find it hard to believe a 19yo young professional isn’t fit to play a potential 20 minutes. Regardless if he hasn’t played a game in month. Is he not in training?

Absolutely no one was expecting him to play 45 mins.

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

But hoilett, and Cavallini are fit? 

If he’s injured he’s injured. I find it hard to believe a 19yo young professional isn’t fit to play a potential 20 minutes. Regardless if he hasn’t played a game in month. Is he not in training?

Absolutely no one was expecting him to play 45 mins.

I don’t think anyone know what his illness was and I loathe mention the c word in case I summon beetlejuice but there are examples of young footballers missing several months of football due to illness. 

Also I didn’t realise Hoilett and Cavalinni were suffering from illness. I guess it depends on the illness. 

Edited by Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Passive aggressive doxxing…

Is that aimed at me? I have no knowledge of anyone’s situation but just putting two and two together when a footballer doesn’t play for several weeks due to an ‘illness’ in 2021. Not sure how speculating would constitute releasing personal information. 

18 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Is that aimed at me? I have no knowledge of anyone’s situation but just putting two and two together when a footballer doesn’t play for several weeks due to an ‘illness’ in 2021. Not sure how speculating would constitute releasing personal information. 

Just kidding dude :) 

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

There was never any mention of what the illness was, just that he had some antibiotics to clear it up.  I wonder if it was something like Mono.  Mono can really knock you on your ass and can take some time to get over. 

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I don’t think anyone know what his illness was and I loathe mention the c word in case I summon beetlejuice but there are examples of young footballers missing several months of football due to illness. 

Jonathon Toews lost a whole NHL season to an immune disorder I have never heard of before, while other younger guys have lost stretches of matches due to the classic mononucleosis, so who knows.

Edit:  just posted immediately after prairiecanuck, so sorry for the redundancy

Edited by BearcatSA