2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Pacific sounded loud, kinda Japan, shrieking crowd loud amongst the supporters sections chants and drums. Must have been a young crowd in the end stand. Thought it was decent for a midweek pandemic game tbh. 

It will be a slow process getting crowds back, glad some money is finally coming back in to clubs though. 

3 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Broaden the discussion a little.  So, the Bombers play the Ti-Cats tonight, fully vaxed welcomed, and curious to see how that goes.  The fully vaxed numbers are waaay higher than there were even just a few weeks ago but still a lot of hesitation out there.   

Just to put it in perspective, a little anecdotal evidence...I took my son to the movies for the first time since covid.  4 people in the theatre.......no one in line at all when we pulled into the multiplex.  Plenty of hesitation out there.....

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

...It will be a slow process getting crowds back, glad some money is finally coming back in to clubs though. 

Don't think last night's crowd in Langford was hugely out of synch with weeknight games there in 2019. The location in a somewhat distant satellite town relative to the rest of the Victoria metro area appears to be problematic on weeknights. The announced number might wind up looking a bit better than a tickets scanned number would once season ticket holder no shows are factored in.

Having eight teams should have meant mainly weekend games this season if the pandemic hadn't complicated matters. Having such a busy schedule this season to maximize the number of games that can be played is likely to result in some unusually low crowds in certain markets.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

22 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Broaden the discussion a little.  So, the Bombers play the Ti-Cats tonight, fully vaxed welcomed, and curious to see how that goes.  The fully vaxed numbers are waaay higher than there were even just a few weeks ago but still a lot of hesitation out there.   

Responding to my own thoughts out loud....

30,000 at IG Field last night.  OK.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:22 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't think last night's crowd in Langford was hugely out of synch with weeknight games there in 2019. The location in a somewhat distant satellite town relative to the rest of the Victoria metro area appears to be problematic on weeknights. 

Nope, felt about on par with 2019. Getting out there on Wednesday took me about 80 minutes including 65 or so on the bus that got to use bus-only lanes for some of the worst traffic spots. No one likes driving the Colwood Crawl right after work on a weeknight (even if the Mackenzie interchange is now complete).

8 hours ago, ted said:

Nope, felt about on par with 2019. Getting out there on Wednesday took me about 80 minutes including 65 or so on the bus that got to use bus-only lanes for some of the worst traffic spots. No one likes driving the Colwood Crawl right after work on a weeknight (even if the Mackenzie interchange is now complete).

And yet our first 2 home games were scheduled on work days. Nonsensical. It’s looks like tomorrow’s game could be rainy too 

On 8/5/2021 at 1:18 AM, shermanator said:

Guess I have to come in with some actual facts again. Spruce Meadows limited capacity to 50%. And what a surprise to see that the stadium was about 50% full.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer/cavalry-give-fans-what-they-want-win-in-first-home-game-since-2019

...and since 50% is 100% of 50%, that's a sell out.  

On 8/5/2021 at 5:30 AM, Aird25 said:

I was surprised how many people were in purple at the Pacific game. I'd say well over half the crowd were sporting some sort of Pacific gear, and many people were decked out. I don't know if that means we're capturing few casuals or that there are quite a few committed fans, but I was asked twice by people attending their first game whether they'd be able to buy gear in the stadium.

The low camera angle causes the light to be refracted as it enters the camera lens, enhancing the purple and teal sections of the spectrum.

9 minutes ago, vancanman said:

...and since 50% is 100% of 50%, that's a sell out.  

There is the small matter of this to explain if you choose to believe that:

4w9c1mzj31f71.jpg

but either way the crowd looked in line with what was typically happening in Calgary for weeknight fixtures in 2019 so there was basically nothing out of the ordinary happening either in a positive or a negative way.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There is the small matter of this to explain if you choose to believe that:

4w9c1mzj31f71.jpg

but either way the crowd looked in line with what was typically happening in Calgary for weeknight fixtures in 2019 so there was basically nothing out of the ordinary happening either positive or negative.

I'll admit I'm no math wiz, but I'm pretty sure 50 is 100% of 50.

My train was a little crowded this morning.  Is this the right thread to find out how many people were on it?

A Reddit thread highlighted that huge numbers of seats were still available in the main stand on Ticketmaster before the game. It is abundantly clear from the highlights that most of these seats did not ultimately get filled with a paying customer. If the stadium was still half full despite that something doesn't quite add up in all of this.

Largely agree that we shouldn't be obsessing over it too much as we are clearly not genuinely back to normal yet. Think that pandemic hesitancy factor probably varies from province to province though depending on how severe the pandemic lockdown experience has been. 

With the exception of Halifax where a restriction is definitely limiting the crowd right now what we are seeing isn't hugely out of line with the 2019 fall season after the initial novelty factor started to wear off so nothing to really get excited or worried about. Hopefully Ottawa's home opener goes well.

5 hours ago, yomurphy1 said:

Cheapest tickets were $90 when I checked on Ticketmaster! Nuts. 

$90.00 for the cheapest ticket?!  Who do they think they are?  

What's the most expensive ticket at York Utd, $80.00?  If I were to move to Toronto, TFC would be having a hard time luring me in as a fan, knowing there's something a lot cheaper with only one anthem before the match just up the road (figuratively).   Sure, the quality on the pitch and playing in a real stadium as opposed to at a schoolyard are worth something, but not that much.

Edited by vancanman
Because I'm typing this at 3:30 in the morning and it probably makes very little sense

20 minutes ago, vancanman said:

$90.00 for the cheapest ticket?!  Who do they think they are?  

What's the most expensive ticket at York Utd, $80.00?  If I were to move to Toronto, TFC would be having a hard time luring me in as a fan, knowing there's something a lot cheaper with only one anthem before the match just up the road (figuratively).   Sure, the quality on the pitch and playing in a real stadium as opposed to at a schoolyard are worth something, but not that much.

That was probably just cheapest available. 

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Largely agree that we shouldn't be obsessing over it too much as we are clearly not genuinely back to normal yet. Think that pandemic hesitancy factor probably varies from province to province though depending on how severe the pandemic lockdown experience has been. 

With the exception of Halifax where a restriction is definitely limiting the crowd right now what we are seeing isn't hugely out of line with the 2019 fall season after the initial novelty factor started to wear off so nothing to really get excited or worried about. Hopefully Ottawa's home opener goes well.

Based on CFL numbers this weekend, no hesitancy in MB, SK & AB. Lowest of 4 crowds was in Winnipeg at just under 30k. 

Edited by red card

I'm just reflecting my own experience with the Whitecaps coming back. I just blindly bought the 3 available games but can only go to 1 once I looked at my schedule because I've got so much on the go this summer. Im not sure what the energy is like in other parts of the country but in BC people have really loaded up their schedule with traveling, seeing family, getting outdoors. So in other words this shot gun start your seeing may not vibe with everyone's calendar. But just watching highlights, the attendance all around seems decent to me

Edited by SpursFlu