2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

On 8/7/2021 at 6:06 AM, vancanman said:

The low camera angle causes the light to be refracted as it enters the camera lens, enhancing the purple and teal sections of the spectrum.

Maybe, but as someone who has been in the stadium for al three games now, the percentage of people wearing some sort of team colours is at least 50%. The Club has done a great job of selling merch (hats, scarves and shirts) along with including jerseys for STH in year one, Collective members last year, and giving a 50% discount on Jerseys for STH this year. 

4 hours ago, ted said:

Maybe, but as someone who has been in the stadium for al three games now, the percentage of people wearing some sort of team colours is at least 50%. The Club has done a great job of selling merch (hats, scarves and shirts) along with including jerseys for STH in year one, Collective members last year, and giving a 50% discount on Jerseys for STH this year. 

It helps having a unique colour like Purple.

I want a Pacific top and I'm not even a supporter.  

Edited by Macksam

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Interesting you've decided to highlight this particular tweet.

You've posted so often over the last couple years about how important gate revenue is to the CPL's success but here's a situation in which a team has forgone a possible large take in order to "paper the house." I guess it's not that important.

The more I think about it, I see a lot of positives about this Pay What You Want match. You increase your database of names of people who express at least a bit of interest in your product, so your sales team can try to sell them in the future. Also, you will be able to get a sense of how much people actually value your product. How many people are just giving you $5 because they want a cheap night out? How many people are giving you $20 because that is what they feel is a fair price? You may collect some good data that could be useful for the future. 

10 minutes ago, masster said:

The more I think about it, I see a lot of positives about this Pay What You Want match. You increase your database of names of people who express at least a bit of interest in your product, so your sales team can try to sell them in the future. Also, you will be able to get a sense of how much people actually value your product. How many people are just giving you $5 because they want a cheap night out? How many people are giving you $20 because that is what they feel is a fair price? You may collect some good data that could be useful for the future. 

They might end up spending more on beer and food!

2 hours ago, masster said:

How many people are just giving you $5 because they want a cheap night out? How many people are giving you $20 because that is what they feel is a fair price?

y'know, i hadn't thought about how much i'd pay until now. i suppose if i was going with my wife and kids i'd probably throw in $40 ($10 each) and then spend a bunch on food and possibly some merch, but if i was going with my buddies and just paying for myself i'd probably throw in $20ish and spend a pile on beers.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-stampeders-to-host-more-than-22-000-fans-at-mcmahon-stadium-1.5538365

...There was no requirement for masking or physical distancing, no restrictions on re-entry and no limit on the stadium’s capacity or seating which can hold up to 36,650 people at one time...

There is not even a vaccination proof requirement in place from the province apparently:

...With respect to not requiring proof of vaccination, Hinshaw says that was a provincial policy decision that will not change for sporting events,...

And you know it's Alberta that is the subject matter when the following phrase appears in the article:

...Fans who choose to wear masks at McMahon Stadium will not be turned away, ...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

12K on a Saturday afternoon is a better than solid crowd, well done.

Interesting tid bit from the other night.  Friends have Bomber seasons and took in the opener with another couple and it might be a few matches before they're back.  Turns out they're all still a little nervy about being crowded.  

Two more sleeps!

On 8/10/2021 at 12:00 AM, ted said:

Excellent.  That's a good sign.  Bums in seats is one thing, but getting people dedicated enough to buy the shirt, etc. means people who want to return.  It sure looked that way in Ottawa as well, from what I could see.

Interesting to see one of the biggest fans of my attendance related posts on here having a go at FCE crowds on Reddit in a manner that calls into question the future existance of one of the founding clubs:

I'm never sure what to make of FCE crowds because the camera placement makes it difficult to gauge what is happening on the near side where there are enough seats to make the crowd numbers reasonable if still well below initial stated break even target in a Cavalry sort of way, if full. Sounds like they were not unfortunately.

Hadn't been checking but apparently the league website is showing the crowd stat for games again and when I checked the 803 one for FCE mentioned below from late last week was there:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/bhsfarrt7arlogjorl96z4d1w/highlights

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot