2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I obviously don't know the Victoria demographic like you and others do but I honestly don't see enough people truncating their afternoon outdoor activities to be there for a 5 PM regular season start on the weekends.  I guess it's just the nature of having so many options in such a beautiful area of Canada.  Maybe better to stay a 7:30 start on a Friday/Saturday?

I am presenting an alternative to the mid-afternoon kick-offs. People are far more likely to return for a 5:00 pm KO than basically take the whole day to make a 2:00 or 3:30 KO as is the current schedule.

7:00 or 7:30 are also fine but I am also trying to accommodate the time-zone shift. A 7:30 KO in Victoria is 11:30 pm in Halifax.

3 minutes ago, ted said:

7:00 or 7:30 are also fine but I am also trying to accommodate the time-zone shift. A 7:30 KO in Victoria is 11:30 pm in Halifax.

I do feel like this has been a factor in Pacific home game scheduling, but I don't know that it works. It seems other teams regularly kickoff at 7/7:30. Does any other west coast team, in any sport, accommodate time-zone shift for scheduling? 

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I do feel like this has been a factor in Pacific home game scheduling, but I don't know that it works. It seems other teams regularly kickoff at 7/7:30. Does any other west coast team, in any sport, accommodate time-zone shift for scheduling? 

Vancouver Canucks when the Leafs are in town?

On 8/17/2021 at 6:00 PM, Ingham said:

I'm sure I've said this before, and maybe I'm under a rock now. However if we want a promotion/relegation system, we cannot afford to move clubs to different markets. They must stay where they are at regardless of attendances.

That said, they must do a better job advertising. When I drove to York United vs Forge on the first match back, there was a billboard advertising for a York 9 game, the same one from 2 years ago. And I didn't make a typo, it said York 9 with all the old players. Kind of a joke.

Yup it’s still up there the last time I checked , that billboard is a joke can’t believe it’s still there . Moreover, York United needs to put a tarp on the fence around the stadium, because you can literally stand outside the stadium and watch the game without paying .

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

The focal point here should be about maximizing the home gate.  

In regards to attendance like I mentioned before with a new league like the CPL Covid has not helped . This is a new league so it’s going to take time to build the fan base . Just need to get through this season and start fresh next season . What this league needs to show fans is sustainability that it is here to stay. The MLS had to go through this too in it’s early years. It had to show fans that the league was here to stay and wouldn’t join the many leagues that had come before it that folded. I think the longer the CPL survives the more credibility it will have with fans and the  better attendance will get throughout the league. I also believe if the CPL can grow to say 16 teams 8 in the east and 8 in the west you can then do just inter conference play or limit the amount of games western and eastern teams have to play out of conference which can help with travel costs . 

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They got 10k for the opener, so this wasn't Covid hesitancy related.

That was one city for one special event. It does not speak to the general situation in CanPL cities. 

That said, I think COVID hesitancy is only a part of the issue and it is highly variable in that it can change quickly based on changing situations. 

11 minutes ago, ted said:

That was one city for one special event. It does not speak to the general situation in CanPL cities. 

That said, I think COVID hesitancy is only a part of the issue and it is highly variable in that it can change quickly based on changing situations. 

Of course. My comment was in response to Hammer thinking 2200 was because of Covid hesitancy. Rather, the second game was mid-week and not the very first game (and not potentially free like game 1).

I will continue to say, there's so many variables this year that I'm not judging any club's situation this year based on their attendance. Happy fans are getting back out to watch, happy the clubs are getting some revenue streams going again.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I am seeing a lot of panic, but let's remember we are in COVID times. This was the sort of attendance Pacific was getting back in 2019, so honestly it's not the worst thing. There is still hesitancy and I reckon 2700 is a good draw given the numbers 2 years ago.

My personal take on this would be that what we are seeing on crowds right now is more or less in line with what we were seeing in actual crowd terms in the fall season in 2019 after the initial wave of enthusiasm wore off and people need to accept this sort of crowd level (i.e. 2000-4000) is where the league is at in most of the cities involved in year 3 with outliers in both directions. As long as the rhetoric at launch about it being a long term investment project with an initial 10 year commitment by the ownership groups involved was genuine there's still plenty of time to get things heading on a clear upward trajectory post-World Cup 2026.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I have been to 2 Ottawa games now and the one thing I didn’t see was a lot kids. Yes there was some but not as much as I thought. Mostly young adults. One disturbing thing I notice some of the seniors I was over hearing were questioning why is the name Athletico, one old lady said I thought the team’s name was fury. These people had no idea they were owned by Athletico Madrid. Now I am sure this minor but still! 
The CPL needs to do some more ads and promote some players here. Like Ottawa’s MF Soto is a young exciting player on loan from Athletico Madrid why he is not promoted all over Ottawa ? I haven’t seen 10 Soto jerseys anywhere? Maybe because he will leave next year? Also there should be a program for SUPER cheap tickets for soccer clubs. That’s what is missing whole groups of kids teams. 
The CPL needs DP spots so they can pay whatever to get some excited star players/bigger names. It seems Canada is driven by star names and winning, not grass roots. Ottawa pro sports teams are a prime example of that. Also look at TFC as well. 

12 hours ago, Ingham said:

That seems very low when you compare it to the 2k attendances in 2019. Something's not right.

We already know that the 2019 Y9 announced numbers were being inflated in a big way. Angus McNab went out of his way to highlight that the initial 1700 or so this year was a record paid attendance despite being below the 2019 announced average issued by the previous front office staff and the record high league game announced number of 4100.

Unlike this year's home opener against the Forge I seriously doubt it was > 1000 actually there this time but would that be surprising given the opponent was from L1O? There's always likely to be a floor to what they will actually announce for PR reasons which is part of what made the 804 number from Edmonton surprising and may have been what got some people worried about the future of FCE.

There were plenty of field level shots that clearly showed large portions of the seating up to concourse level during the stream because there was a manned field level camera at one end of the pitch and a shoulder held camera doing closeups at field level during hydration breaks etc.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot