2021 Canadian Premier League Attendance

Fans are back in the stands tonight, no official numbers from the first game but York United FC are dealing with a covid restricted capacity of about 2400 and they earlier stated they sold out.

First 8 games of the season were in the bubble in Winnipeg so 20 more per club home and away.

Edited by CDNFootballer

Finding it difficult to track down the announced number in the usual places from 2019 like Soccerway:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2021/07/31/canada/canadian-premier-league/york-9/forge/3553973/

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2021/07/31/canada/canadian-premier-league/canada-pacific-fc/cavalry/3553974/

Onesoccer coverage makes it obvious that the crowd was well below capacity in Langford but weeknights after work have never been an easy draw there. The best crowds in 2019 were Saturday or Sunday fixtures with plenty of time for marketing in advance.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Judge for yourselves if what I wrote is a fair reflection. Langford is one of the places where Onesoccer's camera angle makes all of the seating readily visible:

It fair - stadium was considerably below capacity. Hopefully things will pick up once the covid jitter go away.... that is if infact its 'covid jitters' keeping people away.

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

It fair - stadium was considerably below capacity. Hopefully things will pick up once the covid jitter go away.... that is if infact its 'covid jitters' keeping people away.

I noticed that the Blue Jay's didn't hit their max allowed capacity and looking at Ticketmaster there are a lot of seats available for TFC on Sunday. 

Not everyone is ready to start going back to sporting events just yet. 

Are all the stadiums fully open? Or is there limited capacity?

Seemed like more people at pacific than York, lots of free seats at both. No idea how many people were on the concourse or mingling. 

I'm just not a big fan of the open stadiums that promotes the chill wander around vibe, albeit maybe a nice community, family friendly community builder. But I guess I am also old school traditional, If you are coming to the game you should be locked on into the game, supporting the team for 90 mins. The minute you have concourses infront of the stands or open areas in between stands it starts detracting from the game and changes the atmosphere, imo.

For me you can't beat emerging inside an enclosed stadium, it's a entirely separate place, an escape from the rest of the world and a fortress to support/watch and get lost in the game. Keep the other stuff outside the ground, plenty of fun stuff you can do there before/after the game.

Sorry about the side track venting.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Seemed like more people at pacific than York, lots of free seats at both. No idea how many people were on the concourse or mingling. 

I'm just not a big fan of the open stadiums that promotes the chill wander around vibe, albeit maybe a nice community, family friendly community builder. But I guess I am also old school traditional, If you are coming to the game you should be locked on into the game, supporting the team for 90 mins. The minute you have concourses infront of the stands or open areas in between stands it starts detracting from the game and changes the atmosphere, imo.

For me you can't beat emerging inside an enclosed stadium, it's a entirely separate place, an escape from the rest of the world and a fortress to support/watch and get lost in the game. Keep the other stuff outside the ground, plenty of fun stuff you can do there before/after the game.

York is 75% since it's no where near 15,000.

They said it sold out at 2400 Seats and nothing was left on ticket Master so that appears to be true but only 1700 plus showed up. 

I don't know about Pacific, what are the BC restrictions?

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I would estimate 15% of attendance was on the concourse. 

1 hour ago, Ftduck said:

Was at the York game ok turn out in terms of fan engagement funny  thing about a group of 6 people behind me , heard a lady in that group answer a question when asked if she likes soccer say something very derogatory towards the sport , I wanted to to answer back then why the fuck are you here, but smartly kept my mouth shut, they ended up leaving 10 minutes into the second half lol. It was strange because I’m pretty sure I was one or two of them wearing a York 9 jersey or something, anyways  strange woman , it’s like she made sure she was pretty loud when answering the question so we all heard her answer. Anyways York United need to tarp the fence around the stadium, don’t think it’s fair that you can practically stand outside the stadium and watch the whole game while asking people to pay to go inside a stadium wher a non paying person standing outside can watch the whole game for free , a bit bush league in my opinion I’m sorry.

Edited by SoccMan

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

York is 75% since it's no where near 15,000.

They said it sold out at 2400 Seats and nothing was left on ticket Master so that appears to be true but only 1700 plus showed up. 

I don't know about Pacific, what are the BC restrictions?

BC restrictions are 5K for Pacific FC, they were not at all close to that last night but coronavirus surely keeping some/many away from attending.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

BC restrictions are 5K for Pacific FC, they were not at all close to that last night but coronavirus surely keeping some/many away from attending.

I don't think they hit 5k that often pre-covid. I don't think covid concerns are the reason for that attendance.

Screenshot_20210728-201246_Ticketmaster.

Are there still restrictions in Alberta because FCE appeared to have almost sold out the far side blue wall stand on Ticketmater but that clealy wasn't what had happened in the highlights below? Interesting also that there are the bleachers behind the goal again. I thought they had given up on having the larger family section one to the left with respect to the camera angle:

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 7/31/2021 at 4:27 AM, grasshopper1917 said:

I personally know four people that stayed away but would have been there prior to Covid. 

And so the ugly saga starts anew.  Every game, pics of ticketmaster, then screen caps of the game, then speculation, then whining about "papering the house", then complaining about special promotions or deals on prices.  Is this really going to be a thing again this summer??  Is there any way to hit ignore for an entire thread??  I know, I know...dont read it, its a free country etc.  

On 7/31/2021 at 11:14 AM, toontownman said:

In Halifax we are at 4000 (half) capacity for August. There are no ticket sales to the public though as the season ticket base brings us up to the limit. I think some creative math was used to bring the Wanders ground max up to 8000  lol

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Screenshot_20210728-201246_Ticketmaster.

Are there still restrictions in Alberta because FCE appeared to have almost sold out the far side blue wall stand on Ticketmater but that clealy wasn't what had happened in the highlights below? Interesting also that there are the bleachers behind the goal again. I thought they had given up on having the larger family section one to the left with respect to the camera angle:

Fuck off douchebag...try going to a game.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And so the ugly saga starts anew.  Every game, pics of ticketmaster, then screen caps of the game, then speculation, then whining about "papering the house", then complaining about special promotions or deals on prices.  Is this really going to be a thing again this summer??  Is there any way to hit ignore for an entire thread??  I know, I know...dont read it, its a free country etc.  

We had two years and nobody taught the parrot new phrases?! Shame on us all

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Look, I get it. But his question here isn't that unreasonable. Most places are limiting capacity right now and they're going to look more empty. Alberta is also marching to the beat of it's own drum, and might not be. It's not an unreasonable question, though I am aware of where it might lead.